Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SHODAN Don't Surf

What Might have Been on the Irrational Website outlines some discarded concepts from early in the development of System Shock 2, including a story concept Ken Levine says "had the player going to a spaceship to assassinate a character similar to Colonel Walter Kurtz from Apocalypse Now." Another idea for the action/RPG sequel involved zero gravity, and he also discusses the way the game was developed in a single 900 square-foot room, and how they embraced the idea of "F'ing with the player."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Feb 2, 2010, 07:12 Shadowcat

No sequel could ever live up to System Shock 2.
Agreed. SS2 certainly didn't live up to the original (although it gave it a pretty decent shot in most respects, and the interface was a big improvement). If a SS3 was made, I could only hope they would have learned from the mistakes made in Bioshock. I fear that they didn't view them as mistakes, however.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Feb 1, 2010, 14:25 Creston

Rigs wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 03:07:
You know what? I have a secret...You wanna know what it is? It'll blow your mind, man...

I never played System Shock 1 or 2!

I know and I call myself a hardcore gamer. I'm so ashamed! Please, my brothers, don't judge me for my faults! I will repent and all shall be put the way it should be, not the way it is...

=-Rigs-=

You have been found... wanting!

Creston

11. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Feb 1, 2010, 13:41 space captain

SS2 is the only game by Irrational that I would consider "great"

IMO

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Feb 1, 2010, 05:15 Mangrove

Fion wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 00:09:
I still get shivers when ever I think of when you first meet SHODAN in SS2. It was one of the most spine tingling gaming moments ever.

Yeah I had my hair stand up when that happened

Rigs wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 03:07:
You know what? I have a secret...You wanna know what it is? It'll blow your mind, man...

Shame on you! I'd say play shock2 first, shock1 is a little bit awkward to play, it has some quirky controls, so might be worth putting off until you get into the shock universe. Get the cd version if you can, it has all spoken audio logs.

Shock2 still looks and feels great though, especially if you max out the anti aliasing, install the widescreen mod and texture packs etc (although I don't recommend the mod that changes the ai models - it makes them lose their creepiness.)

9. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Feb 1, 2010, 03:07 Rigs

I know and I call myself a hardcore gamer. I'm so ashamed! Please, my brothers, don't judge me for my faults! I will repent and all shall be put the way it should be, not the way it is...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

8. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Feb 1, 2010, 01:12 Riker

I love that we're getting new news on such an old, but classic and beloved game. Thank you, Irrational.  

7. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Feb 1, 2010, 00:09 Fion

I still get shivers when ever I think of when you first meet SHODAN in SS2. It was one of the most spine tingling gaming moments ever.

They 'really' need to add SS2 to GoG.com or Steam.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2010, 00:13.

6. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Jan 31, 2010, 23:28 bigspender

SS2 was probably one of the best games ever

Even if they just remade it using the unreal 3 engine or one of those fancy new ones and kept in the co-op. it would rock.

5. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Jan 31, 2010, 21:36 space captain

not really a fan of Levine anymore, but that storyline sounds pretty cool

its a bit similar to bioshock, but i like the original idea much better

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Jan 31, 2010, 21:07 Prez

Yeah but System Shock 3 would undoubtedly smell better than Grandma's carcass.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Jan 31, 2010, 20:47 Nere

No sequel could ever live up to System Shock 2.
Sometimes things just need to be remembered fondly.
Exhuming our loved ones is unsanitary at best.

2. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Jan 31, 2010, 18:27 Lord Tea

Prez wrote on Jan 31, 2010, 16:02:
System Shock 3 please? PLEASE?!?!?

I too am having a dream! Meditate

UPSA = United Police States of America

1. Re: SHODAN Don't Surf Jan 31, 2010, 16:02 Prez

System Shock 3 please? PLEASE?!?!?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo