Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id: Zenimax Deal Has "Worked Out Really Well"

Edge Online spoke with id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead, who reflects on being acquired by Zenimax about seven months ago. "It’s actually worked out really well. They value development for its own sake, rather than just trying to put something in a box and relying on marketing for sales," said Hollenshead. "They believe in the quality of the product you put in and the value of the entertainment the consumer gets out as what ultimately drives the business. Even more so now than in the past, having a high-quality publishing partner is critical, because the business is so much about either having a hit or being totally irrelevant. There really isn’t a lot of room in the middle."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Game Reviews Jan 29, 2010, 02:50 BobBob

I like id Software a lot but it sure would be nice to see AI in their games that's behaves more advanced than a headless chicken.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has Jan 29, 2010, 00:27 The Half Elf

Yes Tanto to date with the exception of Doom (1/2), since Quake, all of id software 'games' have been nothing more then 3d tech demo's with gameplay elements.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has "Worked Out Really Well" Jan 29, 2010, 00:26 Creston

How exactly has it "worked out well", seeing as how id has released exactly nothing in the timeframe since they've been bought by Zenimax?

I guess Zenimax stock was down, and they needed a few flunkies to blow some trumpets.

Creston

10. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has "Worked Out Really Well" Jan 28, 2010, 23:47 space captain

stalker  
Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has "Worked Out Really Well" Jan 28, 2010, 22:08 KilrathiAce

Some days I read comments just to find posts by Overon...priceless.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

8. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has Jan 28, 2010, 21:49 Overon

These interviews, come on guys. Exercise some skeptical thinking. Who is going to badmouth their boss in a public interview? If he has anything negative to say he won't say it. Fuck all the speculation, when the final product is revealed we will see how well it was designed for the PC.

ID can make games, they can write code, and if they are given time they are capable of making Rage good on the PC. I don't think anyone should doubt that they are capable. I will see it when they release it and then I will judge it.

But the quote form the 2nd post has be troubled. But not too troubled. We will see the fruits of their labor soon enough.

7. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has "Worked Out Really Well" Jan 28, 2010, 20:56 ldonyo

They value development for its own sake, rather than just trying to put something in a box and relying on marketing for sales

This is the part EA has continued to get wrong for the last three years. It's why EA has continued to lose money and why they will continue to lose money. Yes, they have a few (very few) titles that sell well, but those few fail to make up for the preponderance of crap that EA shovels out on an annual basis.

6. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has Jan 28, 2010, 20:16 Nere

I'm glad the deal worked out for them. They're happy and continuing to do what they love, and that's great. But id hasn't done anything worth giving a shit about in a very long time. No doubt "They value development for its own sake" fits them well.

In a perfect world, id would have been destroyed shortly after the release of Quake, ideally by some demonic or alien power, and their legend would have lived on forever. All they can do now is chase after former glory.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2010, 20:17.

5. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has Jan 28, 2010, 19:34 Wolfen

I have my doubts about the game feeling true to PC and not a console port. Most companies fail at it, or just dont deliver. So, like I said. Ill believe it when I see it.

Now, I dont doubt id soft can make a game, that wasnt my point at all here. Just the "not feel like a console port on the pc" statement is, again, what I do not have high hopes on.

4. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has Jan 28, 2010, 19:30 Tanto Edge

Edit: Forgot the main reason to post... the article. Right.
I'm glad to read it's working out here. I couldn't imagine anybody shutting id Software out and if Zenimax is going to show the patience they show Bethesda then how could they say shit to id Software.

In response to doubters:
Funny how short memories are. Maybe how young some commentors may be.
This is id Software. The engine...blah...Pedigree..blah...Doom...Blah...Fanboy-isms...Blah...Carmack...blah...fuck.
UT (and Gears of War) were on console. Looked (and played) fine on both.
You're going to doubt that id Software can what? Make a game?

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2010, 19:31.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

3. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has Jan 28, 2010, 19:19 Wolfen

We've been making PC games for over 15 years, so PC fans should rest assured that Rage will feel like a true PC game, not a PC port of a console game.

Hehe. Ive heard similar statements before from other companies. So, believe it when I see it. =)

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2010, 19:20.

2. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has "Worked Out Really Well" Jan 28, 2010, 18:53 Icewind

The great thing about working for Zenimax is that one month they can say this:

Though id Software co-founder John Carmack founded his career on PC game development, his latest game, Rage, is being built specifically for consoles. Carmack explained in the latest issue of Gamer Informer that the decision was made because "The largest chunk of our market's going to be on consoles. I mean, yes, you can use the mouse for it, but it's critical that the controller be the way that we design the game.

Then five months later they can try to cover it up by saying this:

For the game designers the biggest focus for each system is the controller interface. We've taken very deliberate steps to make each system feel right in regards to the interface and the controller. We've been making PC games for over 15 years, so PC fans should rest assured that Rage will feel like a true PC game, not a PC port of a console game.

Those deep Zenimax pockets mean you can finally leave PC gaming behind and go for those consoles, right Todd?

1. Re: id: Zenimax Deal Has "Worked Out Really Well" Jan 28, 2010, 18:32 Sphinx

When attempting to have follow up questions though the interview had to abruptly end due to Todd going for a swim in his big pool of money, Scrooge McDuck style.

-Sphinx

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo