Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA Beta Drivers

New beta version 196.34 ForceWare reference drivers are now available for NVIDIA accelerators, addressing last week's WHQL-certified drivers that prevented overclocking. There are new drivers for Windows XP, Windows Vista/Windows 7 32-bit, Windows XP x64, and Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit. Thanks Firing Squad.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 30, 2010, 03:49 Stormsinger

Yakumo wrote on Jan 28, 2010, 06:43:
Stormsinger - having never seen or heard of that before it makes me wonder what your system is running. Sounds like old drivers need clearing properly, or you've got a codec mess or some other software fault.

I've heard any number of people who've had issues with specific drivers and had to roll back to older ones. The 6921 drivers were originally especially popular for players of one or two specific games (Bioshock, maybe?), as many of them had problems with newer versions, even WHQL-certified ones.

My old drivers have been cleared completely more than once...it makes no difference. It -could- be a codec issue, I guess, but there's no way it's worth wiping all the codecs out and finding them again, just to see if that's the cause. The whole thing really does raise the questions "who fucked up so badly that it locks the app up, but gives not a single indication what the cause was?" And "why does -this- driver not have that issue?"

In all honesty, it really doesn't matter. I don't seem to need any of the features of the newer drivers, and probably won't until I buy a newer card. At this point, there's still no real indication that I'll need to do so anytime soon. The way things are going, I'm far more likely to buy a whole new box first.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 30, 2010, 03:40 Stormsinger

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Jan 28, 2010, 01:07:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 28, 2010, 00:48:
I just keep rolling back to the 6921 version from late 2007. Those have yet to give me any grief.

Lol. Do those drivers even SUPPORT a 295?

Probably not...I kind of stopped keeping track of the new cards a year or so back, when I became unexpectedly unemployed. Still running an 8800 GT, and not having too many problems with performance yet.

6. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 28, 2010, 16:10 PacoTaco

I am still running an 8800 GTX Ultra until the new cards come out, the delays are I hope worth it in the end.

I also installed the last 3 revisions, and also added the Flash Accelerator from the Nvidia site seems to create more blue screens, and crashes.

It is annoying, if this one doesn't stop it I will go back 4 revisions and remove the Flash Accelerator.

This last crash took out my triple boot again.

Nvidia has raised the question again is there something better out there, I hate it when they do that, and wish they would stop stumbling.

5. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 28, 2010, 06:43 Yakumo

Stormsinger - having never seen or heard of that before it makes me wonder what your system is running. Sounds like old drivers need clearing properly, or you've got a codec mess or some other software fault.  

4. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 28, 2010, 01:46 born2expire

my bad, these drivers blue screen my box on a restart  

3. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 28, 2010, 01:07 Diabolus in Musica

Stormsinger wrote on Jan 28, 2010, 00:48:
I just keep rolling back to the 6921 version from late 2007. Those have yet to give me any grief.

Lol. Do those drivers even SUPPORT a 295?

2. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 28, 2010, 00:48 Stormsinger

I dunno...the last three times I tried to upgrade my drivers (usually due to corrupted files or some such), things just stopped working. "Things" includes Media Player: even though every single upgrade attempt was to a WHQL-certified version, in each case, Media Player simply stopped responding when loading a DVD.

1. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 27, 2010, 23:49 born2expire

last weeks driver removed SLI for me also, these ones correct that.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo