Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers

There's a BioShock 2 Multiplayer and Matchmaking Q&A on The Cult of Rapture as 2K Games interrogates itself about plans for multiplayer support for the underwater shooter sequel. They describe how there is no distinction between ranked and unranked gameplay, discuss dealing with griefers, and outline systems that will allow you to stay buddied up with a group of friends. They also explain that the game will not support dedicated servers or LAN, saying this is due to time considerations:

Do you support LAN play on consoles or PC? Do you support dedicated servers?
Short answer, no and no. There is always a finite amount of time for the development of a game. Bringing Multiplayer to BioShock was a daunting task between the tech (there was no multiplayer support in the codebase from the first game) and the expectations of the community. Either you try to do everything and so nothing feels finished or you focus your efforts to do a smaller number of things really well like an accessible online experience. We chose to spend the time we had creating a solid game foundation and unfortunately that did not include LAN play or dedicated servers.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 20:20 Cutter

Perhaps because Bioshock 2 wasn't even the type of game that people cared about multiplayer for to begin with?

Exactly. Why they even bothered with it is beyond me. If I could buy a cheaper version of the game without multiplayer I would - same with most games in that case. But if you're going to do it, do it right - that being LAN and dedicated server support. It' just stupid otherwise. This game has gone from buy to rent now. Whereas most games seem to get better with a sequel I fell this going to go the other way instead. They would have been far better off doing a prequel when Rapture was falling.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 19:43 kwyjibo

Isn't BioShock built off one of the Unreal engines? That would also have more or less built-in LAN/dedicated server support. So in essence they'd have to strip that out which would make even more work. I realize that BS was made as a single player game and quite a bit of effort would be involved to change the game mechanics to support it but their excuse sounds pretty weak to me.

Not that it really matters to me as I'm only interested in the single-player aspect anyways. So I'm just hoping that didn't suffer at the hands of making it multiplayer.

16. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 19:41 elefunk

What the hell is happening to PC gaming. It's devolving right before our eyes. I hope this is not a trend of things to come, no dedicated servers or no publicly released dedicated servers. It's madness, how can people accept this?
Perhaps because Bioshock 2 wasn't even the type of game that people cared about multiplayer for to begin with?

Jesus christ people, bunch of fucking drama queens.

15. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 19:14 Overon

What the hell is happening to PC gaming. It's devolving right before our eyes. I hope this is not a trend of things to come, no dedicated servers or no publicly released dedicated servers. It's madness, how can people accept this?  

14. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 19:11 nin

Next week on "How we can make Bioshock 2 even LESS interesting to you : it rapes your sister!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4PmBjW93ws

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 19:11.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 19:07 MMORPGHoD

Wasn't expecting much in the way of multiplayer anyways, since it's the successor to a single player only game.

The PC version of Bioshock 2 has coop though, correct?

12. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 19:02 Diabolus in Musica

Xenovore wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 18:51:
No LAN play or dedicated servers? Why the hell did they even bother putting multi-player in there at all?!! Huh

Either do it right, or just forget about it completely.

Tell that to Infinity Ward. At least in Bioshock 2 nobody cares about the multiplayer.

The chances of me seeing "migrating host...", "sending packets..." and "connecting to host..." in the middle of a Bioshock 2 multiplayer game are basically ZERO since I'll never play a single multiplayer game of Bioshock 2.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 19:05.

11. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 19:02 Dev

I never considered bioshock being anything about multiplayer. I always thought it was a single player game (and this is the first I've heard about it being in bioshock 2).

That being said, I think part of the reason they figured they didn't need to bother was how well MW2 is doing without dedicated servers (and thats the kinda game that needs them)

10. removed Jan 27, 2010, 19:00 Creston

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 28, 2010, 08:05.

9. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:57 Darks

They just keep giving people more reasons to not buy this game.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

8. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:51 Elf Shot The Food

This game was always about the single-player.  

7. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:51 Xenovore

No LAN play or dedicated servers? Why the hell did they even bother putting multi-player in there at all?!! Huh

Either do it right, or just forget about it completely.

6. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:48 Prez

I don't care one iota about Bioshock's multiplayer. I think the whole idea of having it at all is a bad one actually. I'll buy or not based on the quality of the single player, and only that.

What I do find curious is that they talk as if putting in dedicated server functionality is like some herculean task, which I've never ever heard of before. How much harder is it than just putting mp with matchmaking?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:39 Diabolus in Musica

Bioshock 2 is going to have multiplayer? Huh, waddaya know.

4. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:36 Icewind

Ray Marden wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 18:32:
Wondering if multiplayer will be the death of Bioshock,
Ray

No, gamers going back and (re)discovering System Shock 2 is what killed Bioshock.

3. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:32 Ray Marden

Guys, STOP IT.

Didn't you read? Bringing multiplayer was a daunting task and there was no support for it in the original game!

I mean...it's not like this is a sequel with a pre-existing game engine, world, enemies, combat style, and art style!

And the first game was a single-player game so it made sense to put a heavy focus on multi-player anyway!

Wait...no it doesn't. Uh oh!
Mass Effect 2 does come off as a bit stupid.
Wondering if multiplayer will be the death of Bioshock,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

2. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:29 Bucky

Someone get me a pitchfork.  

1. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 18:28 theyarecomingforyou

Despite having a dedicated team for multiplayer it still looked like a very much half-hearted affair and this just confirms it.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo