Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Apple iPad Announced

Apple has made their big announcement, as expected for a new tablet computer called the iPad. Details are coming in quickly, and the gadget hounds at Engadget are covering things as they come in as they live blog the event. Word is: "It's a half-inch thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds, with a 9.7-inch capacitive touchscreen IPS LCD display, and it's running a custom 1GHz Apple "A4" chip developed by the P.A. Semi team, with a 10-hour battery life and a month of standby. It'll come in 16, 32, and 64GB sizes, and it's got the expected connectivity: very little. There's a 30-pin Dock connector, a speaker, a microphone, Bluetooth, and 802.11n WiFi, as well as an accelerometer and a compass. As expected, it can run iPhone apps -- either pixel-for-pixel in a window, or pixel-doubled fullscreen -- but developers can also target the new screen size using the updated iPhone OS SDK, which is available today." There's a short clip of the iPad being unveiled on the YouTube. Eurogamer adds pricing details to the info mix: "It's going to cost $499 for the 16GB model, $599 for 32GB model and $699 for 64GB model. Those are Wi-Fi only. And the 3G models cost an extra $130 each...There's Wi-Fi and models with 3G, and Apple's struck a deal with US data providers to charge 250MB usage at $15 a month or unlimited data for $30. That's with AT&T."

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

75. Re: Apple iPad Announced Feb 1, 2010, 23:13 CythrawL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4&feature=player_embedded

This says it all.... everything that needs to be said, Hitler says it...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Apple iPad Announced Feb 1, 2010, 18:08 Pankin

Jensen wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 21:34:

They are similar in function, but have quite a few differences. If Archos made a device made a device with almost exactly the same hardware, it may be $150 less than the iPad. But $150 is worth it to me if it has slick and stable software and awesome 3rd party support.

Ooops, I didn't know about Archos or I would surely have mentioned them in my initial response.

Fixed that for you.

73. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 29, 2010, 13:48 xXBatmanXx

hmm, tried reading the thread, but the mix of haters with fanatics is too much.

My take after 2 days of taking it all in...

POS. No thanks. Just a fat itouch. It doesn't do anything you can't do for a WHOLE LOT less. oh well.

/edit, forgot the real reason for my post..... only 64gb? I thought the technology had far surpassed that, which is why I think it just makes it a fat itouch.

I think the archos device is probably a better way to go, more open and has better OS. Can do more with it, etc.

I also agree with the hard on the eyes comments. The Kindle is easy to read, staring at a iphone screen or similar is horrid on your eyes that close. oh well. This is a move in a very cool direction, but over priced right now - I am sure all of the first timers are going to fund future development and then get a discount like the iphone scam.

//just not a touch screen fan....

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2010, 13:53.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

72. Flash Jan 28, 2010, 18:43 wolve

Those you bitching about lack of Flash support should read this...
http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash

71. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 28, 2010, 18:17 Prez

It just looks stupid to me. Can't for the life of me figure out what the hell I might need something like that for.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

70. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 28, 2010, 12:43 KilrathiAce

No flash support? all right I guess that can pass, why no usb or mini usb support? I doubt apple will support html5 since its going to be open sourced.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2010, 12:55.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

69. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 28, 2010, 02:59 KilrathiAce

I want to see that in a microwave or blender on one of those youtube videos where they melt and blend devices. Thats about it.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

68. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 28, 2010, 01:41 OldScho0l

One word. "JUNK"  

67. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 23:30 everyone

So it is just an internet media tablet. Archos has had those since 2008. They are not the only company.

While I haven't used one of the archos devices you mentioned, I doubt they will compare to the speed and ease of use of the Ipad.
I bet that the archos while functional is quite clunky.
The same situation occurred with the introduction of the Iphone. The original Iphone had far fewer features than the PDA phones that were currently on the market, but the difference in speed and ease of use of the most important features (web browsing especially) made the comparison moot.

66. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 23:26 Beamer

People interested in e-books ought to wait before jumping on this. The huge advantage of the Kindle is e-paper, making reading much, much easier on the eyes.

I often read for hours at a time. A regular screen such as this would fry my eyeballs. For others it may be fine.

We're probably two years away from decent color e-paper, from what I've recently been told, though I'll believe it when I see it.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 23:26.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

65. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 21:34 Jensen

Enahs wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 20:38:
Jensen wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 19:19:
Hard to know that, because nobody else makes a similar device. A Nexus One in $530... seems pretty spendy to me. A Kindle of similar size is $489.

Wrong, see my previous post. Been around for a while now.

They are similar in function, but have quite a few differences. If Archos made a device made a device with almost exactly the same hardware, it may be $150 less than the iPad. But $150 is worth it to me if it has slick and stable software and awesome 3rd party support.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 21:36.

64. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 20:56 Kosumo

WTF, no lean? This is a joke!  

63. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 20:48 Lorcin

I love the way even if this is a sucess people will read the papers on the train in the morning on their big iphone whilst listening to music on their little iphone.

Then they get to work and log on to a pc.

62. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 20:38 Enahs

Jensen wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 19:19:
Hard to know that, because nobody else makes a similar device. A Nexus One in $530... seems pretty spendy to me. A Kindle of similar size is $489.

Wrong, see my previous post. Been around for a while now.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 20:38.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

61. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 20:36 Enahs

So it is just an internet media tablet. Archos has had those since 2008. They are not the only company.

Granted it did not have 3G access, only WiFi.

But this is nothing new at all, old hat, and more expensive (typical Apple way) yet there are people all over the internet talking about how great and innovative it is.

Apple is great at marketing, especially to really stupid people.

*yawn*

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 20:41.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

60. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 20:31 Yifes

My iphone has multitasking. It's called Backgrounder and you can get it once you jailbreak your phone. The ipad will have multitasking too.  

59. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 20:27 PHJF

I don't understand what this is / what is it for. Is it just... a big iphone?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

58. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 20:00 Overon

I hope there are notifications of like emails or finished downloads etc.  

57. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 19:44 Jensen

My brother thought it was a stylus, too.

The app probably would have to save its own state as you use it. The built in apps can multi-task to some extant, and probably wouldn't act any different from true multitasking.

56. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 19:35 [THA] Hamst3r

Bahahahah...  

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo