Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details

Polish website Polygamia has some details about Fallout Extreme (the site is Polish, but there's an English sidebar), a cancelled Fallout game that was briefly in development at 14 Degrees East back in 2000 (in case the 20th century signature "Extreme" in the title wasn't a tip-off). This was an Unreal-engine console game aimed at the first Xbox, and it is described as a cross between Fallout Tactics and a shooter. Why the game was cancelled shortly into development is not clear. There are further details on the story from the cancelled project on the Fallout wiki. Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 20:08 HugeJerk

Rigs wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 17:56:
Another 'dead' title from 14 Degrees East. I will never, NEVER forgive Interplay and their despot CEO Brian Fargo for what they did to the Klingon Academy dev team.
=-Rigs-=

I was on that team, but left after getting jerked around on back pay.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 18:02 Parallax Abstraction

Make sure to drop a link if you write that blog post. Those sound like interesting stories.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

13. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 17:56 Rigs

Another 'dead' title from 14 Degrees East. I will never, NEVER forgive Interplay and their despot CEO Brian Fargo for what they did to the Klingon Academy dev team. Never. The things that team had to deal with to get a title out that was playable AND enjoyable were absolutely immense. I should write the story in a blog or something some time, it's completely convoluted. After working their asses off for years, they were let go two weeks after release...Nowadays, that is fairly common in the industry. In 2000, it wasn't...

You wanna see Rigs fired up? Mention Klingon Academy, Brian Fargo, Sector 14 studios or Babylon 5: Into the Fire and you won't be able to shut me up...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 17:56.

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

12. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 17:41 Burrito of Peace

It was somebody's pet project who was trying to make a name for themselves so that they could move up higher in the Microsoft hierarchy. The bugs were also being looked over in Redmond and my bug reports were brought up as serious concerns over how the project was developing.

We didn't even have Xbox dev kits to test with in the beginning. We were running these mid-tower PCs that Intel had built as stand-in dev kits. They were silver and, I think, were based on the 815 motherboard chipset.

Getting fired was actually pretty good for me. It got me in the door at other places where I was able to get my career started.

11. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 17:11 NKD

The Advocate wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 14:10:
Funny story, I was employed as a contract tester at Digital Anvil during the development of Brute Force. It was a gigantic steaming pile of shit. I had submitted so many critically written bugs that I was pulled aside and told to stop doing bug reports. I was extremely critical of the game and was canned for being so.

Why would they waste money hiring testers if they didn't want them to submit bug reports? If you honestly don't want your game tested, why not put the money elsewhere? Very strange.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 16:53 J

looking forward to Super Ultimate Fallout Extreme Deluxe Edition. With knobs on  

9. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 15:44 Drayth

lol  

8. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 15:42 Verno

Well at least it's better than Fallout: Modern Warfare.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

7. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 15:30 Drayth

Fallout Extreme? The name alone is wretched.  

6. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 14:45 PHJF

Brute Force is the game that officially killed "next gen" consoles for me.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 14:10 Burrito of Peace

Icewind wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 14:01:
It probably would have ended up exactly like Brute Force.

Funny story, I was employed as a contract tester at Digital Anvil during the development of Brute Force. It was a gigantic steaming pile of shit. I had submitted so many critically written bugs that I was pulled aside and told to stop doing bug reports. I was extremely critical of the game and was canned for being so.

There wasn't a single level that you couldn't fall through the map in at least 20 places. I played the game after release and found several of them still in place.

The game mechanics were clunky and you could play through the entire game using just one character without ever having used the "squad".

It was so bad that even the very well done Freelancer couldn't save the studio.

4. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 14:01 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 13:54:
Why the game was cancelled shortly into development is not clear.

I don't know, just the game description makes the cancellation reasons fairly clear to me

No kidding. "It being a giant turd" seems a pretty good reason to cancel something.

Creston

3. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 14:01 Icewind

It probably would have ended up exactly like Brute Force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute_Force_%28video_game%29

Which is to say it would have sucked.

2. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 13:59 Riker

There is a God.  

1. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 13:54 Verno

Why the game was cancelled shortly into development is not clear.

I don't know, just the game description makes the cancellation reasons fairly clear to me

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo