Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Lord of Ultima in Beta

Lord of Ultima is now in beta, offering an online strategy game that uses the name of the famed series, some would argue in vain, since Ultima has always been about role-playing. The game is developed by EA's Phenomic Studio, and word is: "Lord of Ultima is an online strategy game where you build your own unique city and play with thousands of other players. Join now and rule a mighty empire which you can access from wherever and whenever you want. All you need to enter is a normal web browser..." Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Feb 21, 2010, 14:22 Lit_Reflex001

OMG I miss that website. I used to go to it all the time.

I don't mean to ruin your hobby, as I truly loved that game at a point, but I must mention that I had to let it go.

OSI had ruined it so much that it was abusive to myself to continue playing.

I even came back after swearing to never again be caught up in OSI's web of stupidity and ignorance. I never thought that I would actually find myself playing on official servers again. I thought that OSI would never again enslave me to their patches and nerfing.

Let's just say that I quit again.

Also, how is it that UO has changed its interface to resemble WOW? Surely you must mean that they've finally fixed it to where you don't have to have large icons of spells hanging over the screen and instead simply press a number key or something to cast the spell.

Oh well.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2010, 14:30.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 29, 2010, 08:43 Petra Fyde

Anonymous wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 03:36:

Anyone ever play Ultima Online? That game was so addictive that I used to play all day after getting home from school, would "macro" my character during dinner, resume play, begin macroing again as I went to sleep, kept it going in the morning, and then made sure it was still on when I left for school.

That game had so much depth to it. I loved how they tried to make everything usable/interactive to some extent. Like how you could harvest lumber/kindling (using an applicable weapon/tool) from any actual tree in the game.

Or how you could then take those logs and craft them into lumber to be crafted into a multitude of different wooden items (like chairs, boxes, tables, and God knows what random stuff).

I loved all that stuff! I want another MMO where there's SERIOUS focus on crafting/trade-skills. I don't want to play an MMO where the idea of crafting is weapons/armor/potions.

I want a game where I can play the entire damned thing as a craftsman exclusively. I want to be able to mine ore out of the actual mountains, and fish in the water, and skin that fish with my knife, start up a fire with my camping skill from the kindle I carved off the tree over there, and then fry up some fish steaks with my cooking skill.

Or perhaps head into town, where an oven is, and cook some into an actual dish.

Or perhaps I should just macro my shitty bard character endlessly at the bank and see how people love my beautiful noob music.

Why past tense? Ultima Online still exists, I play it daily. I craft all the things you list, and more, much much more. come and see

10. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 27, 2010, 14:11 Skullguise

If you want an MMO with a HEAVY focus on crafting there already is one... Fallen Earth. I'm not saying it is a good game for everyone bu t I enjoy it somewhat. About 95% of the items in game need to crafted and it is pretty complex.  

9. Ultima Online as you knew it is dead Jan 27, 2010, 12:32 Hanneth

I remember Ultima Online and miss it dearly. Unfortunately it no longer exists, just an empty shell with the same name.

It used to be to get the best stuff you had to go to a crafter. Actually some things like cloaks you could only get from crafters.
Now you can buy just about anything a crafter can make from an NPC for way cheaper than a crafter can make it, or the item is on a PC vendor that they got from a boss spawn.

If ripping the soul out of it wasn't bad enough, they released this "great" new client which has had it's interface downgraded to the level of other MMOs base interface. One of the things I always missed when playing other MMOs was UO's easy interface. Unfortunately that is gone now.

I also liked the clothing and colour assortment, but that's gone too. They put a temporary hue system into the new client and were working on a proper one, but it has since been dropped just leaving the horrible temporary system in place.

8. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 27, 2010, 03:36 Lit_Reflex001

Damn thing wouldn't load up through neither IE or Firefox. Oh well.

Anyone ever play Ultima Online? That game was so addictive that I used to play all day after getting home from school, would "macro" my character during dinner, resume play, begin macroing again as I went to sleep, kept it going in the morning, and then made sure it was still on when I left for school.

That game had so much depth to it. I loved how they tried to make everything usable/interactive to some extent. Like how you could harvest lumber/kindling (using an applicable weapon/tool) from any actual tree in the game.

Or how you could then take those logs and craft them into lumber to be crafted into a multitude of different wooden items (like chairs, boxes, tables, and God knows what random stuff).

I loved all that stuff! I want another MMO where there's SERIOUS focus on crafting/trade-skills. I don't want to play an MMO where the idea of crafting is weapons/armor/potions.

I want a game where I can play the entire damned thing as a craftsman exclusively. I want to be able to mine ore out of the actual mountains, and fish in the water, and skin that fish with my knife, start up a fire with my camping skill from the kindle I carved off the tree over there, and then fry up some fish steaks with my cooking skill.

Or perhaps head into town, where an oven is, and cook some into an actual dish.

Or perhaps I should just macro my shitty bard character endlessly at the bank and see how people love my beautiful noob music.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 03:38.

7. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 27, 2010, 02:55 osage no onna

There was an Ultima reminiscence thread on RPS the other day if anyone's feeling nostalgic.  

6. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 26, 2010, 23:41 Talisorn

Icewind wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 23:20:
Ultima died the day Pagan came out.

/end
While I didn't mind the later games in the series, Ultima 7 (Parts 1 and 2) were the pinnacle. I still regard it as one of the greatest games ever made.

5. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 26, 2010, 23:20 Icewind

Ultima died the day Pagan came out.

/end

4. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 26, 2010, 23:04 Drayth

Can't wait for the Baldur's Gate sims game.

3. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 26, 2010, 22:43 Sepharo

Does this have any connection to, you know, actual Ultima?

Or is this a shameless robbery and misappropriation of the name simply to tap in to the subconscious of the uniformed or forgetful.

edit: Oh I should probably read the article:
Itís set in the Ultima universe

Leaving original post for humility.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2010, 22:46.

2. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 26, 2010, 22:38 OldScho0l

oh! That's craptacular. It gave me a false sense of hope that another Ultima 9 type game was in beta. This game sounds like junk. Ultima 9 was so awesome! Best RPG of its time by far.  

1. Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 26, 2010, 22:23 Talisorn

Ultima?! BLASPHEMY!!  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo