Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Seeking Mac & Linux Engineers

The LinkedIn profile of Chris Green, "Person of interest at Valve Software," says Valve is looking for senior Linux and Mac engineers. Actually he says they are: "REALLY looking for senior Linux + Mac engineers." Thanks superannuation, who are setting themselves up for potential disappointment in hoping this means to expect Steam for MacOS.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Valve Seeking Mac & Linux Engineers Jan 26, 2010, 19:27 FLY

Uhh yeah.

This just in, where the heck is Half Life 3?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Valve Seeking Mac & Linux Engineers Jan 26, 2010, 17:08 Kevin Lowe

I'd love to see CrossOver or something similar integrated into Steam. It wouldn't be flawless, but it'd be nice to have the option, and developers might even consider unofficially supporting it.

If I could get native Mac versions where available (or even both, possibly for a small additional fee for the porting company), that'd be a real bonus.

6. Re: Valve Seeking Mac & Linux Engineers Jan 26, 2010, 15:07 SevereTireDamage

Considering that the Crossover people have been able to get most of the games working already through Wine, with the resources that Valve has and the limited number of Mac hardware configurations I'm sure they can do it, even profitably. If Valve starts up the framework, they can release all their future games simultaneously for the three platforms from the same codebase.

Steam would easily be worth porting, not just for Valve's games but for tons of casual and indie games that are up on the service, like Popcap's stuff or Machinarium. Several indie games now are being released for Mac and Linux now too with the PC version.

5. Re: Valve Seeking Mac & Linux Engineers Jan 26, 2010, 13:37 jdreyer

Are there enough native Linux/Mac games to justify the development of a Steam client? I guess it's a port, so it's not the same requirements as building from scratch.

The same goes for porting HL2 or Team Fortress to Linux/Mac. You have all the art assets and generic code (like AI). You "just" need to port it, although that can be a trick. But are there enough purchasers to justify the dev costs?

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

4. Re: Valve Seeking Mac & Linux Engineers Jan 26, 2010, 12:05 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 11:15:
who are setting themselves up for potential disappointment in hoping this means to expect Steam for MacOS.

My steam catalog of games is the one thing that keeps me from buying a mac for home.

Good luck getting all those to run...

The Mac has some of the smaller games already like Peggle and the like, but it lacks that one-stop-shop Steam store that users either love or hate.

I've tried straying from normal PC games save for the rare occasion and focus a little more on Console gaming. But I still have a BootCamp/Windows7 partition on my older Mac for the occasional purchase.

If the Valve engineers are working on some native Valve games (L4Dead, Half-Life 2.x, etc) then that would be cool.

If it's just to get a Steam platform running so people can buy Peggle/PlantsVsZombies/etc then that's alright too, just not as good.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Valve Seeking Mac & Linux Engineers Jan 26, 2010, 11:39 BobBob

I love Valve.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2010, 11:39.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

2. they have color screens now too Jan 26, 2010, 11:21 space captain

its called OSX these days, blue  
Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Valve Seeking Mac & Linux Engineers Jan 26, 2010, 11:15 nin

who are setting themselves up for potential disappointment in hoping this means to expect Steam for MacOS.

My steam catalog of games is the one thing that keeps me from buying a mac for home.

Good luck getting all those to run...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo