Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication

Ubisoft is going to require an internet connection to Ubi.com to play its PC games as it looks to protect games from piracy, reports GameSpy, where they offer details on the plan, which they liken to Valve's online authentication through Steam. This will also involve online saved games handled through the cloud and unlimited activations: "If you own a hundred PCs, you can install your games on a hundred PCs," explains Brent Wilkinson, Director, Customer Service and Production Planning at Ubisoft. They asked if Ubisoft was concerned with potential backlash from gamers concerned over being required to be online to play, but Wilkenson seems unconcerned: "We think most people are going to be fine with it. Most people are always connected to an Internet connection."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:51 Wildone

They dont exactly make good games anyway. I hope UBI people are reading this.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:48 Darks

Overon wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 10:27:
Imagine this, a ubisoft game that requires login into their drm online system, and a login to games for windows live, playing over a steam login. Like a rotten oninon, you peal back the layers and it keeps stinking.

could'nt have said it better, Ubisoft can suck a big one. I for one wont be purchasing any game that requires this.

Another lose for Ubisoft!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:43 Lokust

Like the pirates won't figure it out and have a ripped version in less than a week anyway. What a waste of resources.  

8. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:27 Overon

Imagine this, a ubisoft game that requires login into their drm online system, and a login to games for windows live, playing over a steam login. Like a rotten oninon, you peal back the layers and it keeps stinking.  

7. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:23 spindoctor

Verno wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 10:15:
Depends on if there is any method of local saving or not. If not then it would to be emulated and that would be very difficult.

Not having local saves would be suicidal for them. Yes, it's true that most people are connected to the internet 24/7, but they wouldn't be stupid enough to deny access to the game if a user's net went down or they had server issues/maintenance etc. I think the cloud saves are more of a additional, convenience feature (and a welcome one at that) rather than a necessity.

As long as their implementation is rock solid, I don't think I'd mind it much. The thing is, services like this usually have intial teething problems that can last for months. Steam had a lot of issues back in 2004... GFWL has been plagued with problems all of last year. When these types of things just work as they should, the overhead is negligible and overall it's fairly unobtrusive. The shit really hits the fan when something goes wrong and the user is left trying to figure out how to get the game they paid for to work. So, like I said, I hope they test the hell out of the service before rolling it out.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2010, 10:24.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:22 Veinman

Seems much like Steam, but if there is no offline mode than to hell with that. Internet connections are not always on. The concept of paying for property and then not actually getting to use it (something DRM and digital distribution promote all the time) is really astounding.  

5. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:21 Omni

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 10:15:
I'm trying to think of the last UBI game I bought, and I'm drawing a blank. Maybe R6Vegas? And that was like 2006?

So I'm not exactly worried...

Yea with that shit they are pumping out I really dont care much for there so called "authentication" since I never play any of there games.

4. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:15 nin

I'm trying to think of the last UBI game I bought, and I'm drawing a blank. Maybe R6Vegas? And that was like 2006?

So I'm not exactly worried...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:15 Verno

Depends on if there is any method of local saving or not. If not then it would to be emulated and that would be very difficult.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

2. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:10 Paketep

Oh, and this will do shit to combat piracy. If anything, it will create more piracy. But they now it and they're doing it anyway, so fuck them.  

1. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 10:09 Paketep

So they went from no protection (PoP, HAWX) to this BS?. Was it really so bad for them?. Doubt it.

I will certainly not buy from them like this. I tolerate Steam (badly), and that's it.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo