Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

There's a hidden counter at the bottom of this page that's been ticking off visits on-and-off since 1997. At some point late last week the counter passed the 500,000,000 mark, representing our half-billionth visitor, which is a little startling. Thanks Quboid, who somehow managed to notice this, and thanks to all five of you for having visited 100 million times apiece over the years.

R.I.P.: Pernell Roberts of 'Bonanza' and 'Trapper John, M.D.' dies at 81. Last of the Bonanza cast.

Counting Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Icescape 3.
Spartaman 2.
Little Big Balance 2.
Links: If Videogames Were Named After the Phrases Said Most While Playing Them. Thanks Joker961.
The forgotten fathers of gaming you really should know about.
Five Mission-Critical TV Shows Conan O'Brien Can Save.
Stories: Syfy's 'Caprica' gets disappointing start.
Oh deer! 10-to-12 point buck breaks into Ill. home.
Science: NASA test drives all-composite prototype spacecraft.
Female teachers transmit math anxiety to female students.
Jumbo-jet laser cannon tested against missile. Thanks brother19.
Media: Chell's Mind. Thanks Barney's Mind.
The Matrix Pill.
Couple makes Epic Wedding Trailer, "Save the Date."
Auction: EA SPORTS Active Auction to benefit March of Dimes.
The Funnies: Steve Jobs drops the big bomb. Thanks Digg.
Follow-up: Plotting a Future for the Spirit, a Hobbled Mars Rover. Thanks j.c.f.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2010, 09:02 Enahs

Syfy's 'Caprica' gets disappointing start.

Good.

I bought that piece of shit months ago on DVD. So damn horrible. Just stupid. Completely stupid.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 20:28 Bodolza

Another Aeropress fan here. I've been using it almost every morning for a couple of years. For me, it's also the fastest method. Brew time is only about 30-40 seconds, so I can make a cup in under 1 minute, and cleanup is also very fast. The only downside is that you go through a lot of grounds, since I use 3 scoops for a 14 oz mug.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 20:19  Blue 

Or if you can't find him you could always ask McLean Stevenson or Gary Burghoff!

Well compared to them, Rogers made a brilliant move. Stevenson became a punchline by leaving (Hello Larry anyone?).

My opinion of M*A*S*H will always be that the show stayed consistently funny up until Larry Linville (Frank Burns) left. Not only was his character great, most of the other funniest bits involved tormenting him and/or Hotlips in some way, and the fact that they always deserved it made it alright.

I agree... After Larry/Frank left it wasn't long before they started softening the "bad guys" of Hot Lips and then Winchester. After a while the only adversary the boys had was the bureaucracy of the Army, which was portrayed as idiotic, which even if accurate, did not make for compelling stories. "Look at how smart we are compared to these idiots!"

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 19:59 WarPig

In fact Roberts' run as Trapper John covered more episodes than Wayne Rogers starred in during his entire TV career, in case you were wondering if him leaving M*A*S*H was the right move.

Or if you can't find him you could always ask McLean Stevenson or Gary Burghoff!

My opinion of M*A*S*H will always be that the show stayed consistently funny up until Larry Linville (Frank Burns) left. Not only was his character great, most of the other funniest bits involved tormenting him and/or Hotlips in some way, and the fact that they always deserved it made it alright.

GO SEAHAWKS!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 18:14  Blue 

Trapper John is dead?

The weirdest part of this news for me was that Trapper John, MD ran for seven(!) seasons. Who knew?

This means that Roberts played Trapper John for more than twice as many episodes as Wayne Rogers. In fact Roberts' run as Trapper John covered more episodes than Wayne Rogers starred in during his entire TV career, in case you were wondering if him leaving M*A*S*H was the right move.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 17:48 Cutter

Trapper John is dead?

Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...

That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 15:56 Fang

One draw back to an Aeropress, once you have one, you never want to drink drip coffee again.

However, it takes more time to make, and if you are running late in the morning, I end up rather skipping coffee than making something fast in the drip. Then I end up picking up a cup at a coffee shop.

Maybe as I have it longer, I can make it faster.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2010, 15:57.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 15:52 Fang

Yeah, it's about convenience.

I just bought a Keurig for my in-laws. It is very convenient when you want to make just one cup of coffee.

However, for my self, I got an Aeropress.

http://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B000GXZ2GS

It really does make excellent coffee. Of course, you are effectively hand-pressing espresso shots, so there is some art involved (ie. you can't just press a button like a drip coffee maker). Also, there is no grit like in a french press, and no danger of overbrewing.

And I find the grind is even more important. Maybe because the espresso shots are so smooth and clean, you can really taste the nuance of the grind. So I'd really recommend a burr grinder or buying imported ground espresso.

Personally, I've ended up buying imported ground italian espresso along with some Bustelo (cuban-style espresso, very strong, very caffeinated). It's actually fairly cost-effective and it makes some of the best coffee I've had.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 15:38 Hoop

I demand a re-count!

Yours

Father of the internet
Al Gore

This message was posted by a computer powered by soylent green.

Um .. Behind you...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 15:33 Creston

Congrats Blue. Also, that ticker MUST be broken. You know nin has visited here at least 387,000,000,000 times. He must have, that's how many posts he has!

Creston

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 15:10 xXBatmanXx

FYI - if you ever get automated calls saying "please call this number for an important msg" that is a TCPA violation. They called my cell phone so I have record of 2 calls. Just filed paperwork with the AG office, and once settled I can expect $500 per incident in repayment.

Thank you fark.com for the article yesterday.
And thank you XM Radio for sending an account into collections that was current.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

15. THANKS, BLUE for running this site. Jan 26, 2010, 14:44 jdreyer

Hey Blue, I've said it before, but it bears repeating. I've been reading this site since 1997 (I think). I was in Japan then and had no way of getting PC game info. This site was my lifeline. I've been pretty much a daily ready since then.

Thanks for running this site for so long and having such an interesting mix of game & tech news, as well as science, news, and humor stories. It has been great and continues to be so. There's nothing quite like it on the Internet.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 13:28 brother19

That means one out of 13 (13.597) people currently estimated to be alive today on earth has visited your site, and the other 12 (12.597) are slackers ! Carry on... brother19  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 12:10  Xymph 

Bronco wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 10:56:
Wasn't there a completely different comment system prior to this one?
Yes, Furn's original message board system was superseded by the current Chatbear-derived system mid-2001.

Actually the data of the old board still lingers around in the database, but it's incompatible with the table structure of the current board, so it can't be merged back in (at least not without a significant amount of work, and that's not worth it).

-- Frans

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 11:45 xXBatmanXx

I blame nin.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 11:16 shuttleswo

he other is one of those single serving makers where the coffee/tea/cocoa

I have a keurig one at home and work; i think the coffee is above average, but not wonderful; but extremely, even extraordinarily, convinant and definately worlds better than any other one cup brewer i've tried (senseo etc.) you can play with it to get better coffee (the higher ends have some settings, and you can use your own good coffee instead of their pre-packaged ones)

but - while i love it for it's convenience, I still have a drip brewer and french press for when i have more time to make & enjoy something good; but for the morning when I'm running out the door, it really can't be beat.

the tea and cocoa is total crap and expensive to boot, so FYI, don't buy it for that; you'll never want it.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 11:07 nin

I wish I could remember exactly when I started frequenting Blue's News.

I remember reading on Blues that Q2test had gone live. That was October of 97, it looks like...

So, 12+ years for me...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 11:05 Quboid

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 10:27:
Hax! How did he look at an invisible counter?

You use your mouse at the bottom of the front page.

Exactly

I'd hate to think how many of those hits actually are me.

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 11:03 Bill Borre

You're welcome Blue. I don't have a console, and there really isn't much of a computer game market anymore. But I still check the site at least twice a day for the link updates. I wish you would expand that part of the site. Go out and find more neat stuff on the 'net for us!  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 10:56 Bronco

I wish I could remember exactly when I started frequenting Blue's News.

I know I was reading for a bit before I registered. Wasn't there a completely different comment system prior to this one?

-TPFKAS2S

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo