Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com

Amazon, Direct2Drive, GameStop, and Steam (and presumably other e-tailers and retailers) are now offering pre-purchases of a Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Limited Edition, which offers the six perks in the military shooter sequel announced last October. These are an Up-armor package mounted on all vehicle types, additional weapon packages for the driver of all armored vehicles, a Vehicle Motion Sensor, a Tracer Dart Pistol, an M1A1 Sub-machine Gun, and the M1911 Pistol. A FAQ released following the announcement of the LE explained that these perks are early access to multiplayer upgrades, which must be unlocked by owners of the vanilla edition. The two editions are the same price, so this is meant as a pre-purchase incentive. There is also an "online disclaimer" on the Steam page for the LE with two notes we haven't seen before, saying online play will require an account with ea.com, and that online access to the game is "non transferrable." Here's word, apologies for the shouting:

ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES AND/OR SERVICES REQUIRES AN EA ACCOUNT AND REGISTRATION WITH THE ENCLOSED SERIAL CODE. REGISTRATION FOR ONLINE FEATURES IS LIMITED TO ONE EA ACCOUNT PER SERIAL CODE AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE. EA ONLINE TERMS & CONDITIONS CAN BE FOUND AT www.ea.com. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER FOR AN EA ACCOUNT. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.ea.com.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 28, 2010, 20:25 loomy

> Have you ever heard of Kali?

kali makes ipx games work over the internet. do you think bf bc2 supports ipx?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 26, 2010, 00:55 Sepharo

Holy smokes I got my first fan.

After 7 years I've finally made it!

53. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 25, 2010, 21:43 The PC Warrior

youre not that important, its ok.  

52. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 25, 2010, 21:22 Sepharo

Oh great. You say you aren't getting it in this thread based on one of my comments and meanwhile in the other thread I'm saying I might get it.  

51. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 25, 2010, 21:05 xXBatmanXx

Still no mods, still no admins, still no custom maps, still no communities.

Wasn't aware of the stuff you guys are telling me - guess this is a skip as well.....

Oh well.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

50. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 25, 2010, 20:07 Sepharo

This is what royally pisses me off. They made a big deal about how they were going to do it so much better than IW with MW2, then they announce that only they will be running dedicated servers. The whole non-transferable thing doesn't bother me, but that just irks the shit out of me.

Yeah it's basically all the exact same problems as MW2 but with a better ping and more stability.

Still no mods, still no admins, still no custom maps, still no communities.

49. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 25, 2010, 18:38 The PC Warrior

you ever hear of the year 2010 or are you still using quakeworld too?  

48. Re: You assume wrong. EA can pull the plug. Jan 25, 2010, 12:57 Kxmode

You assume wrong. The only reason you can still play BF1942 and BF2 online is because the master server for those games is controlled by Gamespy.

Have you ever heard of Kali?

47. You assume wrong. EA can pull the plug. Jan 25, 2010, 12:00 I've Got The News Blues

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 25, 2010, 10:16:
I worry about server shutdowns as well....but I assume the servers will be under our control for the PC, like Battlefield, etc....maybe their STATS will die one day, but the game itself will not.

Hell you can still play really bad over cheated servers of BF2. Not sure why you would want to - but you can.
You assume wrong. The only reason you can still play BF1942 and BF2 online is because the master server for those games is controlled by Gamespy. Games controlled by EA's own network get shutdown regularly. An example of an EA FPS game which got shutdown is Medal of Honor Pacific (which was not a Gamespy game like the other Medal of Honor games). NFSHP2 is also still playable online because it uses Gamespy whereas newer Need for Speed titles have already been shutdown by EA because they did not.

With BFBC2 you can bet that EA will pull the plug at some point because it can, especially since the dedicated server software won't be publicly released.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2010, 13:16.

46. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 25, 2010, 11:44 Prez

Honestly, they had a ton of goodwill from the community after the MW2 debacle and now they're totally fucking it up before the game is even out. They're losing their chance of taking on MW2 with every shitty announcement.

This is what royally pisses me off. They made a big deal about how they were going to do it so much better than IW with MW2, then they announce that only they will be running dedicated servers. The whole non-transferable thing doesn't bother me, but that just irks the shit out of me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

45. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 25, 2010, 11:30 Verno

I worry about server shutdowns as well....but I assume the servers will be under our control for the PC, like Battlefield, etc....maybe their STATS will die one day, but the game itself will not.

Unfortunately they've said dedicated servers will be run by "EA preferred partners" only. Honestly, they had a ton of goodwill from the community after the MW2 debacle and now they're totally fucking it up before the game is even out. They're losing their chance of taking on MW2 with every shitty announcement.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

44. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 25, 2010, 11:10 ASJD

Wait? Paying for multiplayer in-game advantages?

This game is dead to me.

43. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 25, 2010, 10:16 xXBatmanXx

Hell you can still play really bad over cheated servers of BF2. Not sure why you would want to - but you can.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

42. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 25, 2010, 09:32 Verno

Surprised nobody mentioned the other bonus...you only can play the game for 1 year online because EA will shut the server down after that.

This is what I worry about. EA already shut down some 2009 console edition games and they did it on bloody New Years this year.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

41. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 25, 2010, 06:57 RocketChef

I can live with this fact very good. I would not buy a pre-owned game with a serial protection either... you never can tell if the previous owner wrote it down somewhere so I'll be always on the safe side if I buy it new.  

40. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 25, 2010, 04:43 theyarecomingforyou

I'm sorry, did you say something? I wasn't listening.
And yet you posted a response anyway, acknowledging my post and again ignoring any points I raised. I win.

Sorry, but you're the idiot here. If you *purchase* (buy) a product, historically you have had the right to transfer that product to anyone else.
How am I the idiot? I criticised the other poster for erroneously posting that you're paying to rent a game. You still "own" the game, it's just you're paying for a non-transferable license. Historical evidence is of little concern in a fast evolving word where the physical product takes second place to the intellectual property.

As for how many people sell their games or trade them in? Obviously you haven't been paying much attention to the success of GameStop, etc. or how Wal-Mart and even Best Buy now offer trade-in services. There's also a slew of secondhand stores that sell used PC games such as the Half-Price book store (in my area).
Of course I've been paying attention and it's a practice I very much dislike, as it is taking money away from the developers.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

39. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 25, 2010, 03:07 Theo

BF1943 on the xbox already requires a EA online account. nothing new here, didnt mind doing it with that, and wont mind doing it with this.

(digtal download on xbox and anyhow thats linked to your live account), if you wanna bitch at EA bitch at the list of game servers they shut down this month, ones from games titled 2008 is a bit rough.

/Theo

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2010, 03:08.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

38. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 24, 2010, 23:32 Donkey_Punch

Surprised nobody mentioned the other bonus...you only can play the game for 1 year online because EA will shut the server down after that.  

37. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, Jan 24, 2010, 22:43 Agent.X7

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 24, 2010, 18:29:
Your personal attacks and government employee level of knowledge pretty much negate the worth of anything you may have to say.
Way to not address anything I mentioned and resort to personal attacks yourself. Class A hypocrite.

Anyway, what was wrong with what I said? You pay money you get the game. It isn't renting, as renting requires continual payments. People just like spouting sensational shit for the sake of it.

I'm sorry, did you say something? I wasn't listening.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

36. Re: BC2 LE Preorders, "Non-Transferrable" Multiplayer Requires EA.com Jan 24, 2010, 22:39 Kxmode

ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES AND/OR SERVICES REQUIRES AN EA ACCOUNT AND REGISTRATION WITH THE ENCLOSED SERIAL CODE. REGISTRATION FOR ONLINE FEATURES IS LIMITED TO ONE EA ACCOUNT PER SERIAL CODE AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE. EA ONLINE TERMS & CONDITIONS CAN BE FOUND AT www.ea.com. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER FOR AN EA ACCOUNT. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.ea.com.

HEIL HITLER!

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo