Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Thanks Joker961.

Bitmob - Gamers Are Too Defensive. Thanks GamePolitics.
A recent news story broke out about a 40-something-year-old American woman traveling to Canada to meet a 16-year-old boy with whom she had been playing World of Warcraft. A call-in show covered the story. The first caller was a gamer who said that he didn't think it was fair to mention the name of the game, because it wasn't the game's fault that this happened. Many of us probably feel the same way. However, if we are going to be more concerned about protecting the reputation of a video game than about fighting international sexual tourism, people are going to continue to look at gamers as an unbalanced people with twisted priorities.

Ramblings of a Gamer - How do you Measure a Game’s Worth? Thanks Slashdot.
First off, I want to point out that it’s pretty much impossible to measure a game’s value before you buy it. Sometimes you will know that a particular game is supposed to be short/long, but you can’t know how much time you will actually play the game or how much you will like it beforehand. That said, thinking about a game’s “value” is not particularly productive if you already own it, so this is mostly just a topic that was interesting to contemplate.

1UP.com - Rolling Blackout: The Dark Side of Updates.
Another, more realistic hypothetical: Say Activision, following last fall's public outcry over Kurt Cobain's inclusion as a playable character, released a mandatory patch for Guitar Hero 5 that removed Cobain from the game. Would they have been wrong, insofar as they were impinging on a player's rights after the point of purchase? That's debatable. After you pay for a game, whether as a download or as a boxed copy, you as a consumer have certain rights regarding how you use that game. It's the question of game developer and publisher's rights to that game once it's in your hands that causes post-release alterations to be a murky issue.

GameSetWatch - 'Homer In Silicon'- Structure in Arkham.
I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and the first game I rented for it was Batman: Arkham Asylum, about which I'd heard great things. And I really enjoyed it: the gameplay was smooth and fun, and the narrative was engaging throughout. As I played, though, I found myself thinking that Arkham Asylum is a case study in the way that the commercial demands on a AAA game play against storytelling.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Op Ed Jan 24, 2010, 17:12 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow isn't a lifestyle, it's just a game and should be treated as such.
I'd say it can be a lifestyle, and is for many. It just depends on how you treat it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Op Ed Jan 24, 2010, 13:49 xXBatmanXx

How would you afford a computer, internet connection, and wow subscription on Welfare exactly?

You must not live in a welfare state like the great Republic of Minnesota.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: Op Ed Jan 24, 2010, 12:16 RenownWolf

Having a lady of the house tends to stop massive gaming sessions. Mowing the lawn, washing the pets, trolling the supermarket for real food etc... tends to kill those massive 10 hour play sessions on weekends.

Then again, if she's in the thick of it with you I guess it could be different. My missus plays, but prefers to watch especially in FPS's and Strats. Not enough good co-ops around =D

It reminds me off Sins of a Solar Empire matches... 6 hours for a good match, but I don't have that kind of time these days. I use to play Wow too but stopped. It was a massive time sink and I was always behind the curve because I was "casual" meaning I couldn't collect all the gear required within the time frame.

Sold all my characters in the end (I botted some, because you don't know what it's really about until top level imo).

Wow isn't a lifestyle, it's just a game and should be treated as such. I stick to short action games now, or a epic story I can complete on my own time. I never want the feeling of 9-24 people waiting on me to complete a task that is meant to be "enjoyable". Then again I work and enjoy that when working on a project but that has structure (9 to 5, 5 days a week) that allows you to live a life without giving up things that matter more imo.

http://www.renownwolf.com

18. Re: Op Ed Jan 24, 2010, 10:39 nin

So true. Flame if you want, but WoW is a magnet for depraved individuals with no job/life/soul. Sorry, sad sacks of filth that will never contribute anything worthwhile to society other than enrollment numbers in government social services.

And the winner for Nutjob post goes to...Asswind! Congrats, Asswind!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Op Ed Jan 24, 2010, 10:37 Tumbler

So true. Flame if you want, but WoW is a magnet for depraved individuals with no job/life/soul. Sorry, sad sacks of filth that will never contribute anything worthwhile to society other than enrollment numbers in government social services.

Wait, so you know at least one person that is on some sort of Welfare and plays Wow? All the people I know that play wow are highly educated socially awkward folks that love computers. They make tons of money. How would you afford a computer, internet connection, and wow subscription on Welfare exactly?

Me thinks you're talking out of your ass. Wow players are likely more productive members of society than most...in my experience. They just don't go out after work. I was like this for a few months playing eve online...I'm still not sure how I managed to play it so much but that was literally all I did every day after work and all day on weekends. Helps being single...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Op Ed Jan 24, 2010, 03:59 Scud

Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 19:12:
Given the hostility of a few of you towards that speaks volumes more about your self-esteem, or lack therof, than it does about people who play MOGs and game in general. Seek professional help.
Yeah, a person hates something about themselves and when they see that in someone else it sometimes generates an excessively hostile reaction to that person, also called projection. On the net it's as common as the clap in a whore house.

15. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 22:45 Bhruic

However, if we are going to be more concerned about protecting the reputation of a video game than about fighting international sexual tourism

WTF? Two people had perfectly legal sex. Both of them were over the age of consent. Neither of them was forced in any way. How exactly is there any "sexual tourism" to this story?

14. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 22:32 Kedyn

...a 40-something-year-old American woman traveling to Canada to meet a 16-year-old boy... more concerned about protecting the reputation of a video game than about fighting international sexual tourism...

Wait, what? I think this guy's confusing "sexual tourism" - which usually involves rich men traveling overseas into a country with lax laws and shitty plumbing to diddle little brown boys or girls - with "being a shameless cougar".

13. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 21:20 xXBatmanXx

And lastly, anyone who plays WoW is a gamer.

I don't know about that. To qualify as a gamer, you need to play more than one game. Just like a movie buff needs to watch more than one movie.

I find the majority (not all) of WoW fanatics are too ill equipped to survive in a real situation....socially inept is the best way I can describe those that I know (not all).

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 20:50 derelict koan

Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 19:12:
At least people MOGing are interacting with other people as opposed to most people who just sit in front of the boob tube watching drivel

I'm not sure like-minded validation qualifies as genuine interaction, I'd say its more like a cesspit of peer group enabling than actual communication, like automated networks pinging each other to maintain spatial reference to the 3rd dimension. Disgusting.

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

11. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 19:38 Jerykk

And lastly, anyone who plays WoW is a gamer.

I don't know about that. To qualify as a gamer, you need to play more than one game. Just like a movie buff needs to watch more than one movie.

10. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 19:12 Cutter

Compared to you contributing what to society? Hanging out talking about games and slamming other gamers on Blues? LOL! Wow, you're a regular Ghandi out there changing the world for the better!

At least people MOGing are interacting with other people as opposed to most people who just sit in front of the boob tube watching drivel that's nowhere as good or as entertaining as a MOG. Either that or they're hanging out in a bar drinking away their lives night after night.

And lastly, anyone who plays WoW is a gamer. You're gamers. So I guess that makes you idiots as well, right? The reality is that most people who MOG are pretty well adjusted, normal people just having some interactive fun. Given the hostility of a few of you towards that speaks volumes more about your self-esteem, or lack therof, than it does about people who play MOGs and game in general. Seek professional help.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 17:51 Rigs

Icewind wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 16:22:

Wait, WHAT?!? Inquisitive

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2010, 18:02.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

8. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 17:24 Rhett

A couple years ago, when I was 17 (was playing WoW since vanilla, been off of it for months now, probably never going back, so don't call me a wowfag!) -- I was part of a guild, and unbeknownst to me, a guildy had a huge infatuation with me and "my voice" (wut?)

Well, after getting to know her a little more, she ended up professing some sort of feelings etc etc. I myself didn't pay much mind since this is apparently a relatively common thing. A friend of mine even lost his girlfriend to someone on WoW, who lived a town over from him, so he found out.

Anyway, she was roughly 27 and married. Then one day I get on WoW (a weekday) and find out she took the day off work to google my name and/or email address (not sure how she found that out), and found pictures of my brother (he posted on various forums, had a myspace). Then she started asking if I wanted to meet her halfway (I'm in NC, she's in PA).

It was then on I started completely ignoring her. Supposedly she started playing Horde with her husband and got much closer to him, though, so I heard.

Speaking of which, I was also in another guild more recently (near the end of TBC) in which I was friends with this guy, who was happily married, and they played WoW together. Lots of BS later, the guild itself rips apart from the amazing drama that ensued, when an officer of the guild that lives in Argentina (the married couple living in Texas/USA) gets caught having "cyber sex" over Ventrilo with said friend's wife.

Married couple broke up, the guy quit WoW. His ex-wife is now married to said Argentinian, and living there as well. I think it also came out that she was a huge online "whore" too. lol.

I really hate that this stuff happens, but if you get invested in WoW, you start to meet others that are also far too invested, and it gets goddamn crazy. You can also google something like "Nihilum drama" or something, that was pretty big too.

7. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 16:46 LittleMe

A big part of why people practice escapism (like in gaming) is because they are victims in an oppressive society. Their ambitions are thwarted by the system of control. Deny it all you want, but most people have no idea just how deep is this rabbit hole.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2010, 16:46.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 16:22 Icewind

dubfanatic wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 14:24:
Everyone who plays WoW is an idiot

5. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 15:17 Bill the Cat

What's wrong with "international sexual tourism"? Why fight it?  

4. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 14:46 Sepharo

I love that the editor made it clear that he did not agree with the piece.

LIKE RAAAAAAAAAIN

3. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 14:40 The Half Elf

Well think about it, 11 million subscribers around the world. Roughly 2-3 million in the United States alone. You are bound to find people in such a large pool of people that have 'issues'.

If this happened on a AOL Chat room or via a Facebook page noone would even care.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 14:24 dubfanatic

Everyone who plays WoW is an idiot

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo