Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now

A new post to The Cult of Rapture by 2K Elizabeth called "Scaling Back BioShock 2's DRM," recaps plans for digital rights management in the submerged shooter sequel. The plan is essentially the same as our most recent understanding, but it is now laid out in one place from soup to nuts. In short, there will be no SecuROM limits on either the retail or digitally distributed editions, though it will have a 15 installation limit through Games for Windows LIVE:

Over the past two days, Iíve fielded a lot of questions and concerns about the DRM for both the retail and digital versions of BioShock 2. Because of this feedback, we are scaling back BioShock 2ís DRM.

There will be no SecuROM install limits for either the retail or digital editions of BioShock 2, and SecuROM will be used only to verify the gameís executable and check the date. Beyond that, we are only using standard Games for Windows Live non-SSA guidelines, which, per Microsoft, comes with 15 activations (after that, you can reset them with a call to Microsoft.)

What does that mean for your gameplay experience? This means that BioShock 2ís new DRM is now similar to many popular games you advised had better DRM through both digital and retail channels. Many of you have used Batman: Arkham Asylum as an example to me, which uses the exact same Games for Windows Live guidelines as us as well as SecuROM on retail discs, and now our SecuROM is less restrictive on Steam.

I know that the variables of PC gaming can be frustrating and confusing, and when you say there is a problem, we listen, and use your suggestions to make things better. Feedback like this does not go unheard, and while this might not be the ideal protection for everyone, we will continue to listen and work with you in the future when formulating our DRM plans.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 25, 2010, 11:55 Tim

Shit, the bastards - they goddamn listened to us and made it better. Gah! Now i've got to look for another angle to slag them off on blues - oh hang on, how about the old paranoia argument - yeah, they did it just so they could scale it back once the shit hit the fan!! Phew, though i'd have to be positive about something for second there

I love how the opening comment on here is basically apologetic for sounding 'happy'

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 24, 2010, 20:48 Jerykk

That was the time of tools, who were disconnecting your dvd drive, so Starforce can be fooled with a mounted mini-image.

Even that method wasn't 100% reliable. You had to run some hack tools that disabled your IDE ports and stuff too (which didn't work on all computers). Starforce was simply a bitch to bypass.

44. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 24, 2010, 09:54 Kajetan

Prez wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 15:38:
Starforce apparently worked -
For about half a year, until someone figured out how this system works. That was the time of tools, who were disconnecting your dvd drive, so Starforce can be fooled with a mounted mini-image. After a year, release groups just patched everything related to Starforce from the games executables and the traditional zero-day-release was restored.

at the expense of causing serious incompatibility issues for many people of course. My drive was "starforce supported" but it would occasionally stop responding until I removed the starforce drivers with the removal tool. Not a good trade-off in my book.

That describes the problem. It IS possible to develope a non-crackable DRM. But this system has to be so restrictive, that you will loose customers because of hardware failures or just being too complicated and annoying. The more restrictive the system gets, the more customers you will loose. Starforce might have worked on a long term, but there was this class-action suit against Ubisoft. After that, nearly every publisher backed away from this system, because they all feared a massive court backlash.

So, while it is possible to make THE ultimate DRM system, you cannot use such a system, if you plan to sell millions of units.

43. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 24, 2010, 03:49 theyarecomingforyou

got any proof for your statement? Maybe the console versions sold really well; not the PC version. The 2K forum was full of very very pissed users and I'm sure they haven't forgotten about the Securom fiasco. That said, even I did buy BS1, when its decrapification had reached an acceptable level, thus contributing to its oh-so-great sales numbers. Big deal... not.
The PC version didn't sell well because... there were pissed off people on the 2K forums? That doesn't even make any sense. That's like getting a flat tyre and blaming it on the screenwash you just put in. Honestly, I think the internet would be a much better place if it mandated all users have a double digit IQ before being granted access.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

42. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 20:43 Dev

Do you still want the CE? I ended up with an extra sealed copy of it with the figurine.  

41. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 18:34 PHJF

BioShock went approximately a week (two at max) before being properly cracked. I was actually at the store, ready to buy the PC CE of BioShock (I wanted the figurine) when they told me it was fucking preorder only. Fuck them. I'm not so big a tool that I go around ordering or buying games without having played them.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

40. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 17:51 Lord Tea

cliffski wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 04:42:
you think that it stopped the game being a huge hit? because I assure you it had zero effect. Outside internet messgeboards, the game is a big hit and very profitable.

got any proof for your statement? Maybe the console versions sold really well; not the PC version. The 2K forum was full of very very pissed users and I'm sure they haven't forgotten about the Securom fiasco. That said, even I did buy BS1, when its decrapification had reached an acceptable level, thus contributing to its oh-so-great sales numbers. Big deal... not.

No GFWL or installation limits for me folx, no way.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2010, 17:52.

UPSA = United Police States of America

39. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 17:11 Bill the Cat

I don't mind Steam's DRM cause it is fairly simple and it has always worked for me. My past experiences with GFWL have been awful. I won't try to use it again. I'd rather learn how to use bit torrent.  

38. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 16:17 Narf2029

A lot of the backlash was their attitude. Probably every DRM designer and big publisher using DRM thinks the consumer is a criminal. Starforce just came out and said it.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

37. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 15:38 Prez

It's ironic that the most effective DRM was the most universally reviled by a good margin. Starforce apparently worked - at the expense of causing serious incompatibility issues for many people of course. My drive was "starforce supported" but it would occasionally stop responding until I removed the starforce drivers with the removal tool. Not a good trade-off in my book.

As to the 15 install limit, my reaction is why bother even having a limit?

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2010, 15:40.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

36. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 14:42 Evil Timmy

Necrosis: Yeah, that was Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. That pissed me off to no end because I had one of the "Starforce unsupported" drives, and actually had to wait that year for the crack before I could play it, and couldn't return it because it was an opened PC game. Got burned again when I bought one of the later games (Double Agent, I think) for X360 and found the gradient light meter had been replaced by a stoplight system, and you'd go from invisible to spotted with the tiniest twitch, and with no way of knowing. I don't think I got past the first level before I sold it in frustration.  

35. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 13:28  cliffski 

maybe you just aren't leet enough?  
http://www.positech.co.uk

34. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 12:20 necrosis

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 01:58:
Horrible PR backlash or not, the original Bioshock was also one of the very few PC games that managed to go uncracked for something between two and four weeks as far as I can remember.
One of the Splinter Cell games went uncracked for almost a year.

33. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 11:06 elefunk

You are such a liar, Enahs. The game's .exe was fucking missing from the game disc deliberately. There was no such thing as a "Cracked Bioshock" before the game came out because no one but 2K even had the full game.

Unless you're a 2K employee, or an employee of a gaming web site or magazine that flew out to 2K to play it, or talking about the 360 version, you are an absolute, flat-out liar with absolutely no evidence whatsoever to point to the contrary.

And yes, Bioshock went nearly a month before there was actually a crack out there that worked well.

And yes, it had no negative affect on sales - the game sold more than a million copies on PC alone.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2010, 13:21.

32. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 11:04  cliffski 

maybe we don't consider ourselves 'leet' by hanging around with piracy kids?

I wonder how 'leet' people feel when they realise that last l33t haxx0r crack actually installed a trojan?
I'm guessing not very leet at all...

But hey, if it makes people feel they have a big e-penis by supporting games piracy...

http://www.positech.co.uk

31. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 11:00 Enahs

You guys are just not very leet and were not in a tight enough circle. Things are up on private ftp servers long before they hit public torrents.

I was playing a cracked Bioshock version the day before the release.
I bought it, but I did not want to wait to play.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2010, 11:00.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

30. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 10:30 Pankin

cliffski wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 04:42:
"men. It amazes me that after the horrible PR backlash they got with the original Bioshock, that they'd just stupidly burn themselves on that same shit again. It's really a zoo full of retarded monkeys that runs 2K."

wha?????

you think that it stopped the game being a huge hit? because I assure you it had zero effect. Outside internet messgeboards, the game is a big hit and very profitable. hence the sequel. Shareholders don't give a fuck about people ranting on a forum. They look at the bottom line

Ahh, what the hell do you know?

I'll bet someone falls for this.

29. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 08:43 Kajetan

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 01:58:
Horrible PR backlash or not, the original Bioshock was also one of the very few PC games that managed to go uncracked for something between two and four weeks as far as I can remember.
Only, because this was new system. Anyone remember Starforce. First workarounds appeared three or four months after the first game released with Starforce. But after people knew how Starforce worked, it was easy and Starforce had become useless.

Like it or not but that was indeed a smashing success in terms of piracy protection.
Four weeks. And only for the first game released with this new system. Yeah, great success! If a publisher really wanted to prevent pirated copies, he has to use a completely new and different DRM system for every two or three games he releases.

And the game sold very well so why the fuck would they change their DRM policies?

Finally, a valid reason why some publishers still use DRM. Because it's use doesnt hurt sales enough.

So that you, Jerykk and the rest of you anti-DRM wankers can steal the game on or better yet before day zero? Aaawww. Looks like that's not gonna happen this time either huh? Too bad huh? Aaaawww... my poor little puppies..... muuuaaaahahahahahaaaa
Wanker hint: Next time, use a centerfold with some naked chicks. Works better, trust me.

28. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 08:38 Dev

Icewind:
No actually it isn't.

Because this EXACT same thing happened last time with Bioshock 1 (and as I recall the same 2k Elizabeth). A public outcry over the DRM, a scaling back of it, but keeping it, conflicting statements, etc. It took them months to deliver a promised revoke tool too as I recall.

All it means is that they haven't learned any lessons. In fact they want to screw customers worse by forcing GfWL on them now.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2010, 08:39.

27. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 08:10 Pannad

I received Bioshock through the post the day after release and found a nocd crack straight away.
All putting this crap into games does is push up the price and annoy anyone that doesn't know how to bypass it.
DRM is probably responsible for more PC game returns than all the bugs in the world combined.
As for Starforce, don't get me started. That PoS locked me out from burning my holiday photos to CD. Anyone using it deserves to go bankrupt.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo