Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG

The information Bethesda Softworks has been attempting to redact from the documents from their legal action against Interplay over the Fallout MMORPG has come to light. By pinpointing the segments of the record to be redacted, they have pointed prying eyes right at the erstwhile secrets in a variation on the Streisand effect. There are a few tidbits from the court transcripts on Duck and Cover, and here are a couple of quotes that reflect on the MMORPG Bethesda doesn't want to be made public at this point:

Q. How do you know what an MMOG is?
A. One of the divisions of ZeniMax Media, ZeniMax Online Studios, is currently in production of an MMOG and has been in production for a number of years.
Q. Is it a Fallout MMOG?
A. It is not.

A. ZeniMax Online Studios is creating a triple A MMOG along the lines of, I mentioned earlier World of Warcraft. It is, you know, a world wide launch. There's close to a hundred people that are working on the game currently. The budget for that, you know, is tens and tens of millions of to dollars.

Q. You never built a MMOG, have you?
A. We're building one right now.
Q. Prior to the time of the APA and the TLA, Bethesda and ZeniMax never built an MMOG, did they?
A. Bethesda began development with ZeniMax Online Studios -- ZeniMax Online Studios began to put together its design in I think late 2006, around 2007, so it's in development. Started around then and it's currently in development, it's been in development for a number of years.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 24, 2010, 05:23 Kxmode

BubbleMage wrote on Jan 23, 2010, 11:02:

Oh, aren't you the clever little child! How 'bout a nice knuckle sandwich to go with that smart mouth?

Funny. People asked the same thing about Blizzard. What a total flop that World of Warcraft was, right?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 23, 2010, 14:41 random.thought

I've just told the whole gaming world what they're making. Oops? I told you my NDA restriction expired. I'll be the first to say "I told you so" when it gets announced. Sigh. TES MMO. That is what Zenimax is making. Got it, bitches?  

11. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 23, 2010, 11:02 BubbleMage

Oh, aren't you the clever little child! How 'bout a nice knuckle sandwich to go with that smart mouth?

10. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 23, 2010, 10:00 Skullguise

Bethesda also did a bunch of Terminator games... Who knows that could be a possibility too. Albeit a small one.

list of em http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/terminator-games

9. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 23, 2010, 08:59 random.thought

It's a TES MMO. Not only have I seen it early in development, I spent a small bit of time working on it. Sorry Zeni, but the time restriction on my NDA has expired. But I guess this should not surprise anyone.  

8. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 23, 2010, 03:09 Cutter

And really...Warcraft?

Come on, Ray. Tell me the developer that doesn't want millions of loyal monthly subscribers and I'll show you a charity. Wait, scratch that, charities want that too.

It's simple, if it ain't Fallout, than it's TES. I just don't think Bethsoft has the chops - read: depth and humour - to follow in Blizzard's shoes in this regard.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 23, 2010, 00:13 Wilson

Sounds like Pete Hines' special brand of bull in those replies.  

6. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 22, 2010, 21:20 Lorcin

Yeah honestly ray whatever your thoughts on bethesda are - you have to admit there is a MASSIVE chance Interplay would not exist but for the fallout sale.

Their basically trying to have carnal knowledge of the ultimate goose who laid the golden egg. It's completely dumb - they should have taken the knowledge/cash/talent they had left and work at building a new franchise - not put a few monkies to work to try a launch a court case in an attempt to win damages.

Interplay are soley existing on the back of a franchise they willingly sold - their a damn parasite these days.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2010, 21:22.

5. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 22, 2010, 20:43 osage no onna

[...]might have been anxious to have Interplay fail[...]

I'd say Interplay failed years before this deal. And it's Bethesda's money that has allowed them to keep doing whatever it is they're doing (mainly just baiting investors perhaps).

I wish Caen would stop propping up Interplay's unholy corpse and let it rest already. The only thing I would fault Bethesda with is having given them enough money to pay off their debts, since otherwise Interplay and Caen would be long gone by now.

4. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 22, 2010, 20:17 Rhialto

Dev wrote on Jan 22, 2010, 19:03:
Couple years, hundred people, tens of millions, sounds like its something that's probably close to being announced.

That's marketing... They are currently building hype around it, like planned leaked infos, etc.

Well, maybe not.

3. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 22, 2010, 19:44 Kxmode

The budget for that, you know, is tens and tens of millions of to dollars.

Two dollars? Wow. That's going to be a stellar game!

2. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 22, 2010, 19:15 Ray Marden

Maybe it's just my immense bias, but I again get the impression that Bethesda's management staff are just being jerks.

It really boiles down to their whining of "trilogy" and "three" even though they fully admit to knowing about Interplay's products and admitting to not reviewing all of the existing material.

Then it gets to the point where just a couple of calls to Bethesda by people confused on where to get support for the triology package. And in many ways, I could see that being Bethesda's fault (if I look up "Fallout" right now, how likely am I to reference F3?) Trying to get down to the details, Bethesda's defense seems fairly weak and dodgy.

Ultimately, I don't have much anything positive to say about the company in this regard. It might have made a bad deal or it might have been anxious to have Interplay fail, but other than being a whiney, selfish company, I don't really see Bethesda being wronged.
Kind of pathetic, really.
And really...Warcraft?

Understanding the difference between "three" and "trilogy,"
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

1. Re: On Bethesda's Mystery MMOG Jan 22, 2010, 19:03 Dev

Couple years, hundred people, tens of millions, sounds like its something that's probably close to being announced.

(tens and tens sounds to me like its at least $50 million)

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2010, 19:03.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo