Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Doctor Who and Top Gear Games?

MCV reports on efforts by the BBC to get back into the world of video games, shopping some of their properties such as Doctor Who, Top Gear, and In The Night Garden to publishers and developers. They say they are pursuing games on iPhone and Facebook as well as portable games for DS and Wii. It sounds like they may be aiming at youthful audiences, however: "We are open to conversations with anybody in games about all kinds of business models to see how we can extract more value," said Neil Ross Russell, MD of children's and licensing. "Outside of Disney we have the most well-known line-up of childrenís characters around the world."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 20:32 Lorcin

I love the Doctor Who books - always have done. But I can't see a game working at all - having a pretty much pacifist protagonist would pretty much kill any standard genre of game dead.

The only genre it would fit into is adventure - which is already on life support. So they're basically talking about a niche market game (uk pretty much exclusively) in a niche genre. Yup that'll attract a lot of funding and be of reasonable quality I'm sure. Capcom's Zack and Wiki was really fun on the wii - but something tells me Super Ultra Mario Gangbang Brawl Now With Extra Cuteness sold more.

Top Gear also won't work - unless it's an Iphone app ala Top Trumps which people could play against each other on the train. Guess they could give the starter pack away free to launch it to a wide audience then charge for addon cards.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 19:25 Mead

Ray Marden wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 17:52:
Use Tom Baker while we have him, I say!

Oh, you mean that new show that uses the Doctor Who name? Never mind...
Tennant seemed okay, but the "new" shows never made much of a point.
A dinosaur,
Ray

While the actors have done a great job in the new shows (and there have been a few excellent scripts and stories), it seems to me that they're focusing more on how zany and wacky he can be. I like the new series, but rewatching all the old eps in order (just finished Sun Makers), I see NewWho lacks a certain quality that the old shows had.

I doubt they could properly do a good Doctor Who computer game. It just doesn't really translate from the original medium. Even the book adaptations aren't as good.

But then again, at one point everyone said that about Lord of the Rings too.

11. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 17:52 Ray Marden

Use Tom Baker while we have him, I say!

Oh, you mean that new show that uses the Doctor Who name? Never mind...
Tennant seemed okay, but the "new" shows never made much of a point.
A dinosaur,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

10. Top Gear Jan 21, 2010, 17:45 Sphinx

Top Gear's the finest show on television. As for racing and comparing times on their track, a few years ago Clarkson did just that by racing a NSX on Luna Seca on the PS2 then trying it on the track.

What he found was that he could never get close to his PS2 time in the real thing due to sheer G-forces and very real possibility of wiping out on that track as opposed to simply scratching one's nethers and hitting the retry button on the PS2

-Sphinx

9. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 16:25 Grendle

Dr. Who would make a most excellent RPG.

8. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 16:05 Dan M

Quboid wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 13:47:
A good TV series doesn't mean a good game. Look at movie tie-ins.

I'd like to see the Top Gear test track in games so I could watch Top Gear and then try to beat Stig's time in the most similar vehicle in Forza/GT/NFS:Shift/other. That's the sole tie-in I can think of that would be worth implementing.

There's that and maybe recreating some of those beautiful mountain passes they've been to over the years. I've been dying for a driving sim to head back to the style of older Need for Speed games of supercars battling it out on public roads in interesting locales - I think Porsche Unleashed comes the closest to what I'm talking about.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 16:06.

7. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 14:06 Creston

Quboid wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 13:47:

I'd like to see the Top Gear test track in games so I could watch Top Gear and then try to beat Stig's time in the most similar vehicle in Forza/GT/NFS:Shift/other. That's the sole tie-in I can think of that would be worth implementing.

I want to take Oliver through Hammerhead and Gambon.

Creston

6. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 13:51 NKD

TOP GEAR!!!  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

5. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 13:47 Quboid

- Quboid

4. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 13:31 Creston

sir wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 13:23:
I wonder if Jeremy Clarkson's wife has a flappy paddle vagina.

With Shift Ferocity Control!

Creston

3. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 13:23 sir

I wonder if Jeremy Clarkson's wife has a flappy paddle vagina.  

2. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 13:09 Creston

I absolutely LOVE Top Gear, but unless it's a game about three British guys cocking about with cars and taking the piss at each other, I'm not really sure how that's gonna work.

Though it could be a game about trying to cross Vietnam on a scooter. Or trying to cross the Makgadikgadi in a Lancia Beta Coupe Superlegerra.

That'd be awesome.

Creston

1. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 13:01 JoeNapalm

Oh, the cruel vagaries of Fate (and Marketing goons).

To make a Doctor Who game - but target it at the Twilight demographic!

*Shakes his fist at the uncaring skies*

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 13:03.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo