Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Ethiopian Review - Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2′ video game? Thanks Joker961.
But while Activision producers go to great lengths to depict fatally wounded Russian civilians leaving big streaks of blood as they crawl on the airport floor – all in the name of realism – they designed the US-based levels in such a way that no virtual American civilian can be seen nor hurt.

The game includes scenes featuring the near-annihilation of Washington DC, but even the depiction of US civilian corpses remains taboo – a sharp contrast to the Brazilian favela or Russian airport levels.

Couch Campus - Genre Wars: Downside of the RPG Takeover. Thanks Ant via Slashdot.
Now, I’m not here to rain on the RPG parade. I don’t think that it’s clearly a bad thing that FPS games are beginning to adopt more and more from other genres. I actually believe that the combination of RTS elements into this genre is largely under-explored. That’s what makes indy titles like Natural Selection 2, and (hopefully) Nuclear Dawn so appealing, and it’s the reason that despite the awesome looking Bad Company 2 on the horizon, we’re still all really waiting for Battlefield 3. On the other hand, the adoption of RPG mechanics into the genre is anything but under-explored. Practically every new release into the genre, be its focus on single or multiplayer, is entrenched in progression more typical of World of Warcraft than Quakeworld.

IndustryGamers - Why Brand IP Doesn't Matter to Online Games. By Alex St. John.
The online world, however, harkens back to the days of the game arcade, which didn’t demand a major cash outlay on the consumer’s part to find out if Pac-Man or Asteroids was truly a great game. It cost a quarter, and if the game didn’t deliver the consumer never played it again. Thus, like modern online games the amount of money an arcade game made was in direct proportion to how addictive the actual gameplay mechanic was, NOT on how big its marketing budget or movie-tie-in was.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 22, 2010, 11:20 Wowbagger_TIP

How is that a split-second decision? Gee, let's see here: there's an unarmed civilian curled up in a corner and then there's a guy who's about to blow my face off with a shotgun. I wonder who I should aim at?!
The civvies do come running out of buildings and such in the Brazilian map. If you're a little jumpy or get surprised by a door suddenly opening or someone running around a corner, it's easy to put a bullet into them. Still not nearly as difficult as it might be in real life where you don't have half a dozen or so "terrorist" models that you can easily identify by their clothing and openly wielded weapons.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 16:56 Jerykk

Tribes never had a fraction the community MW2 had.

Neither did Quake or UT or pretty much any shooter other than CS. However, we're talking about longevity here and the longevity of these communities easily outlasts any console shooter, including MW2. People still play Tribes and it came out over a decade ago. Will people still be playing MW2 in 10 years? My point is that you don't need unlockables or XP to keep people playing if your game has actual gameplay depth. Sorry if this offends you for some reason.

Also, you really shouldn't use financial success as justification for everything. By that logic, everybody should be making Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Sims and WoW clones. When you take a competitive multiplayer game and add unlockables and leveling, you are unbalancing the gameplay. Even if the unlockables are individually balanced to be roughly on par with the other weapons, the added options they provide makes them an unbalancing factor. Different weapons and items are good for different situations and the player who has more options has a distinct advantage over players with fewer options. In a competitive online shooter, the only distinction between players should be their skill level.

The allure of unlockables and XP is obvious; they appeal to people's inherent greed and pride. People will always want more, better things and people will always want to show off their achievements. I'm not denying the success of this approach, as its mainstream acceptance is undeniable. I'm merely questioning its place in a competitive environment.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 17:28.

14. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 16:49 jdreyer

its a juvenile choice.
It's also an unrealistic choice. It would be more interesting to have civvies running for cover in the middle of the fire fights. And even after an evac, you would still have tons of people left.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 15:54 Beamer

Not really. UT and Tribes also lasted years without any unlockables or XP. A good multiplayer game shouldn't need to constantly reinforce the player's ePenis to keep them playing. The depth of the game should be the only factor in its longevity.

Tribes never had a fraction the community MW2 had.
Say whatever you want, but MW2 has sold 20 million copies and a huge bulk of those people have put over 5 full days into the multiplayer in the two months it's been out.

Bitch and moan all you want, but I think it's safe to say which design is more successful. And, ultimately, that's the goal of the dev team - make a well liked and successful game. Not "make a game Jerykk will talk about in 10 years." Honestly, most of those seem to be from devs that didn't make it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 15:26 Jerykk

Not because it's not good, but because everything other than CounterStrike and Quake have faded quicker.

Not really. UT and Tribes also lasted years without any unlockables or XP. A good multiplayer game shouldn't need to constantly reinforce the player's ePenis to keep them playing. The depth of the game should be the only factor in its longevity.

11. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 15:25 Beamer

Yes. Yes it's only shocking. Haven't you ever paid attention to American news? Games show people killing German and Japanese soldiers every day and no one pays attention. But put real names on American soldiers and it's the end of the world.

You guys question me like I'm making the rules. I'm not, I'm just calling it like it is.

-------------

10. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 15:13 dubfanatic

Says you.
Ironically, the vast majority would say the opposite is the juvenile choice, saying it was simply shock value with no legitimate purpose.

So it's only shocking if they show dead Americans? Dead Brazilians and Russians just don't have that shock factor? I can understand I guess, I mean, Americans are rich and special but Russians are poor so it's not such a big deal. And most Brazilians aren't white.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 15:14.

9. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 14:42 space captain

Says you.

yeh - no shit, sherlock. good one there

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 14:02 Beamer

they chose to not depict any US civ casualties, or corpses. its a juvenile choice.

Says you.
Ironically, the vast majority would say the opposite is the juvenile choice, saying it was simply shock value with no legitimate purpose.

In any case I doubt Infinity Ward was too ballless to include this. From all their marketing I'd peg them as a very egotistical company that thinks they can get away with anything and likes to try to shock.
But the fall of Atomic Games has made every company a bit more hesistent about what they show regarding their main demographic. Atomic Games has shown that not all publicity is good publicity and sometimes you're way better off playing it safe.

-------------

7. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 13:59 Beamer

Yeah, you're definitely in DC after the evactuations. I'm not sure about the suburbs, but you'd think most people still there would be hiding, not running in the streets.

As for the unlockables, I guarantee they're a huge part of the success of that game. It's a constant carrot on the stick, making you play just one more match to hit the next level and see what it unlocks. Add in challenges that give you something tangible in the form of unlocks. Combine it with constant popups telling you that you received 100 points for that kill + 50 for payback + 50 for rescue, etc, and the screen is constantly rewarding you with massive visual feedback of your accomplishments. It's nearly pavlovian.

Take all of that out of the game and you'd have something far less compelling that would sell far less well and have far less legs. Yeah, sure, the single player was a disappointing 7 hours tops, but I've put 2 and a half days into the multiplayer (not counting the four I put into co-op mode with all my neighbors) and I'm towards the bottom half of my friends list. Some of my "friends" have put 9 full days into the multiplayer already.
If you took away the carrots of constant feedback, constant unlocks, and different titles and icons to demonstrate to the world how "1337" you are I can guarantee the game fades quicker. Not because it's not good, but because everything other than CounterStrike and Quake have faded quicker.

-------------

6. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 13:45 space captain

from what I remember you were in DC as the counter attack AFTER the civilians were evacuated.

thats a meaningless detail - it would just be a "plot device" to justify their lack of US civs

these people arent slaves to some pre-existing storyline - they created it themselves. they chose to not depict any US civ casualties, or corpses. its a juvenile choice.

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 13:29 Linksil

I'll have to play the single player again... but from what I remember you were in DC as the counter attack AFTER the civilians were evacuated. There's even a radio message when your flying over the capital asking you to cover the LAST civilian evacuation transport.

I wonder HOW on earth the person writing this article can just forget to mention this? did they just miss small details like this after paning other people that overlooked details while railing on the game? Yes there should have been bodies from the attacks. But none of the levels had bodies just laying around from the first attacks.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

4. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 13:04 Fion

Yes that there are parts of the game were you gun down every civilian you can see in an airport with people begging for their lives and crawling through their own gore but the US levels were a surprise attack but there's not a civilian to be seen in the suburbs or D.C. is a bit weak.

Course IMHO the entire game was a bit weak at a 4 hour haul. And was certainly not worth the $50 I payed for it.

3. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 12:57 Jerykk

The game has several levels that take place in Brazil’s gang-infested favelas, where the gamer must make split-second decisions whether the person in his cross hairs is an unarmed civilian or a dangerous gang member.

How is that a split-second decision? Gee, let's see here: there's an unarmed civilian curled up in a corner and then there's a guy who's about to blow my face off with a shotgun. I wonder who I should aim at?!

There’s nothing wrong with adopting elements from massively multiplayer online role playing games where it most fits, but when you venture into the realm of competition gaming you’re treading into dangerous waters.

THIS. Unlockables and leveling have no place in competitive games. It's a pretty sad state of affairs that every new shooter has them and that the average gamer actually demands them. That said, with shooters being as shallow as they are today, it's not surprising that players need more motivation to keep playing.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 13:01.

2. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 12:44 Narf2029

I think being un-American would have pushed their envelope far beyond what it could handle. Of course, that does not stop the design from being ridiculous. In a way, one could argue that IW has said it's ok for terrorists to slaughter innocent civilians, as long as they are not American. I don't believe that myself of course but someone is going to say it sooner or later.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 12:45.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

1. Where are the US civilians in the ‘Modern Warfare 2&#8242; video game Jan 21, 2010, 11:41 space captain

hmmmm. that is some bullshit.

they designed the US-based levels in such a way that no virtual American civilian can be seen nor hurt. The game includes scenes featuring the near-annihilation of Washington DC, but even the depiction of US civilian corpses remains taboo – a sharp contrast to the Brazilian favela or Russian airport levels.

thats pretty fucking retarded when IW is so interested in being so "controversial" with other nationalities - altho it fits with the stupidity of the "nade fags" video

man, fuck IW

Go forth, and kill!

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo