Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit

The BioShock 2 on Steam Page has been edited since this morning's news on the game's DRM. Earlier today the 3rd-party DRM section listed a 15 machine activation limit, generating many comments on how this was hard to complain about, but this has now been changed to show a "5 machine activation limit," which will likely not be as acceptable to some. Thanks nin.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 22, 2010, 14:27 JohnnyRotten

Blackhawk wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 20:43:
I've learned to game one year behind the industry. You get everything fully patched and working, you get games with DRM already removed, the hardware to run them is cheaper, and there have been dozens of FAQs written for them. Any mods are established and polished. Not only that, you get all those $60 games for $20 or less.

It is so much more pleasant than to keep up with this week's releases.
On the same plan.

Wolfox wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 21:45:
Then again...

http://xkcd.com/606/
Awesome!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 21, 2010, 10:54 Tim

5's ok - will get me by for a year or so by which time they'll remove it. I already have GFWL so no problem there and steam is my chosen tool of delivery - grabbed the pre-order 4 pack so it's 20 quid for a game i'm really looking forward to. Yes it's a bit arse about face but really it hasn't cause me or my three (bioshock 2 buying) friends to worry so much.. Sorry to disappoint.

I agree in principle it's daft (5 limit) but not to the point where it's worth getting my panties in a twist about.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 10:55.

50. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 21, 2010, 10:07 nin

What I don't understand is, if their DRM is 100% effective, then allow us to download the full game in demo mode so we can try it, then purchase an unlock code for the full game, if we like it.

We can even use the save, from the demo mode to continue.

No worries, right?, the DRM is perfect.

No no no, that's way too simple. If you're going to buy a game from 2K, they want you to jump through as many hoops as possible. You need at least 2-3 programs running in the background besides what you're trying to play, you need to buy some DLC, and you need a clueless PR drone telling you she doesn't know the answers to any questions you ask, but she's get back to you later.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

49. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 21, 2010, 09:57 RCH

What I don't understand is, if their DRM is 100% effective, then allow us to download the full game in demo mode so we can try it, then purchase an unlock code for the full game, if we like it.

We can even use the save, from the demo mode to continue.

No worries, right?, the DRM is perfect.

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

48. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 21, 2010, 08:53 ASJD

I'll tell you one thing, if I ever buy this game, it won't be on PC...  

47. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 21, 2010, 08:02 nin

I couldn't agree more. When they released BS1 she had absolutely no idea about anything and was of ZERO help, especially to Securom-frustrated people on their forum. Miss 2K Elizabeth was one of the reasons why I quit posting on the 2K forum.

Yep, I remember those days. She's totally worthless.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

46. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 21, 2010, 06:33 Dev

BobBob:
Yeah there is a hurry, last time I posted about how I waited for a game price to drop to buy it, I got accused of stealing money from the developers. SO HURRY AND BUY INSTANTER

45. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 21, 2010, 04:32 KilrathiAce

This reduced install limit most likely means the game will be quite short and thus they feel people wont need more than this many installs no matter how fast their computers or hardware dies...  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

44. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2010, 04:17 BobBob

Jerykk wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 03:44:
Except piracy is still easier. If the person has to download the entire game anyway, might as well download the pirated one.

I refuse to buy any game that doesn't offer a demo first. Seriously.

43. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 21, 2010, 04:06 wonkawonka

I didn't think I'd be like that, but after looking back at these last few years, I've noticed a very clear behavioral pattern with me: I don't buy any games on PC that have any type of install restrictions.
It's not conscious, but it is there.

42. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2010, 03:44 Jerykk

Anyways, I don't think piracy would be quite so bad were there some way to actually, as for virtually all consoles and even handhelds, rent the fucking games. Not everyone can afford to go around throwing $50 down willy nilly. I don't see why it's so difficult when systems like Steam already exist. All they have to do is give out cdkeys with a time lock on them. Then if the user wants to buy the game they can fork over the purchase price (less rental cost) and just own the game outright.

Except piracy is still easier. If the person has to download the entire game anyway, might as well download the pirated one.

41. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2010, 01:47 BobBob

PHJF,

You're right about the cost of new games being too expensive. Why not just wait 6 months to a year for single player games to drop in price? Is there a hurry to purchase a game?

40. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2010, 01:38 PHJF

Gamecopyworld has nocds almost as they are released and they are ALWAYS clean. Megagames is good for older titles.

Anyways, I don't think piracy would be quite so bad were there some way to actually, as for virtually all consoles and even handhelds, rent the fucking games. Not everyone can afford to go around throwing $50 down willy nilly. I don't see why it's so difficult when systems like Steam already exist. All they have to do is give out cdkeys with a time lock on them. Then if the user wants to buy the game they can fork over the purchase price (less rental cost) and just own the game outright.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2010, 01:11 BobBob

Sepharo wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 01:06:
Despite many stories like yours, I've never had a virus/trojan from a crack.

I hope you are right or you have viruses that you aren't aware of.

38. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2010, 01:06 Sepharo

BobBob wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 00:49:
tuddies wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 19:36:
nocd patch will eliminate all of the nasty DRM anyway, so no worries.

The problem with those is often you will think it doesn't have a virus (trojan) because it will only download a virus when it's run. Most of the time your virus checker will find out too late after it's downloaded 10 or more viruses to your system. Even the no cracks (for legitimate users) aren't really safe anymore. This is why I prefer either no DRM or Steam only DRM. Vote with your dollars, Euros, etc.
Despite many stories like yours, I've never had a virus/trojan from a crack.

Tip of the Day: Don't search for "<game> nocd" or "<game> crack" and just start clicking links willy-nilly.

37. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2010, 00:52 BobBob

I've learned to game one year behind the industry. You get everything fully patched and working, you get games with DRM already removed, the hardware to run them is cheaper, and there have been dozens of FAQs written for them. Any mods are established and polished. Not only that, you get all those $60 games for $20 or less.

It is so much more pleasant than to keep up with this week's releases.

Agreed 100% for single player games. You will be left behind on multiplayer games as everyone develops skills while you're the year late newbie.

36. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2010, 00:49 BobBob

tuddies wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 19:36:
nocd patch will eliminate all of the nasty DRM anyway, so no worries.

The problem with those is often you will think it doesn't have a virus (trojan) because it will only download a virus when it's run. Most of the time your virus checker will find out too late after it's downloaded 10 or more viruses to your system. Even the no cracks (for legitimate users) aren't really safe anymore. This is why I prefer either no DRM or Steam only DRM. Vote with your dollars, Euros, etc.

35. Re: Game Reviews Jan 21, 2010, 00:46 BobBob

All the more reason to support independent developers and open-source projects.  

34. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 21, 2010, 00:22 Mike Hunt

I was planning on placing a preorder when I picked up Mass Effect 2 next week but Bioshock 2 isn't a good enough game to make me grab for my ankles. I just recently lost a ME activation through a HD crash. (I was able to recover my most recent saves, couldn't deactivate the install though.) Limited activations are a crumby, stupid system.

I should really be thanking 2K for saving me some money.

33. Re: BioShock 2 DRM: 5 Install Limit Jan 20, 2010, 23:59 Lord Tea

nin wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 22:32:
Even P.R. lady that works for 2kgames doesn't sound like she knows what's going on.

That's Elizabeth - she's your typical clueless company shill.

I'm surprised she's still employed.

I couldn't agree more. When they released BS1 she had absolutely no idea about anything and was of ZERO help, especially to Securom-frustrated people on their forum. Miss 2K Elizabeth was one of the reasons why I quit posting on the 2K forum.

SirKnight wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 21:16:
The piracy problem will not be solved, but it sure will be a lot less since it is harder to do on the console than the PC. Especially when it comes to multiplayer.

You don't really believe that, do you? Guess what happens if they manage to kill PC gaming. Piracy groups will turn to consoles completely, and increased competition will make them better. Some scene groups that started back in the 80s on good old C64 are still alive an kicking - on PC. The whole ANTI-PC war some publishers are fighting will backfire, and big time.

UPSA = United Police States of America

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo