Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 2 in NYC

Crysis 2 will be set in New York, New York, the town so nice they named it New York City. This is shown on the cover of the March issue of the Official Playstation Magazine, which says: "Aliens invading New York City? No problem! Blast their faces off with the Nanosuit 2.0." The cover art shows off that Nanosuit 2.0 from Crytek's upcoming shooter sequel in all its 2.0 glory. Thanks Joystiq.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 21, 2010, 12:25 Zardoz5

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 00:37:
Crysis while a nice looking game had the same issues as Far Cry. You were limited in how far you could actually go in these massive open environments.

And gameplay wasn't dumbed down once the aliens showed up in Crysis?

*** Spoilers ***

Along with what you mentioned, one of the biggest complaints I have about Crysis was the brutal, brutal ending of the game. To me it appears Crytek just ran out of time and ended the game where they did on the carrier. I thought for sure the next level would be returning to the island after beating that boss on the carrier, then credits roll. You don't actually resolve anything to do with the main story. What happened on the island? Did the aliens, Koreans or Americans win?

Crysis Warhead wasn't much better either. I thought Crytek would've atoned for their Crysis story fail, but they did the same type of thing with Warhead. Also I just remembered Psycho's suddenly breaking down and crying after random soldier X dies, I lol'd. Crytek needs to get some writers and actually finish off their game's stories. Its disappointing to play a game and be left with a cliffhanger ending with no resolution.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 21, 2010, 09:01 Verno

Screw the naysayers, anything that gets a Crytek game out of the bloody island jungle is fine with me.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

15. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 21, 2010, 04:34 KilrathiAce

Hell yes, I live in NYC, well near ocean I hope maybe they will feature my house in some explosion!  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

14. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 21, 2010, 00:37 The Half Elf

Crysis while a nice looking game had the same issues as Far Cry. You were limited in how far you could actually go in these massive open environments.

And gameplay wasn't dumbed down once the aliens showed up in Crysis?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 20:13 Hump

It would be cool if the devs implement some kind of mantling system where one could scale buildings a-la Crackdown.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

12. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 19:40 DangerDog

Continuing the story from Crysis, it'll be a frozen NYC with huge walls of ice to impede your way through the city, much like the way it was done in the Warhead expansion.

Koreans in NYC? Might be kind of silly, maybe bring the Russians in as the bad guy. I hope they have some form of biped alien that doesn't fly around the screen, I know they think fondly of their "matrix" inspired aliens but they're not scary enough and are problematic for small spaces.

11. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 19:19 swaaye

Yeah for me the big draw of FarCry and Crysis were the open environments. Take that away and all you have is another corridor shooter.  

10. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 18:36 Zardoz5

Crysis 2: Electric Boogaloo  

9. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 17:52 necrosis

I actually liked Crysis' 40 ways into a camp. It made it fun and had me playing the game much longer than most FPS games. If they take that out of Crysis 2 im going to be pissed.  

8. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 17:48 [THA] Hamst3r

Jerykk wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 17:26:
On the bright side, at least Crytek isn't making another game set on a tropical island.

But wait! The aliens have unleashed a devastating tropicalizing blast on the city, covering NYC in lush vegetation and wildlife!

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

7. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 17:47 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm not one to care for "consolized" level design when the level design is giving me a decent urban environment. "Groundbreaking" open-world games either look like crap (GTA4) or they're thematically boring; Crysis had no problem making a tropical island look gorgeous because there just isn't much to put on a tropical island in the first place. I don't particularly prefer one to the other, but a decent urban setting at the cost of not having thirty angles to approach an enemy encampment from (many of which will always offer terrible disadvantages in terrain and only leave you with one or two realistic options for approach anyway) doesn't seem like something to complain about.

Somehow I feel the gameplay will be dumbed down too but really that sounds hard considering there was not a lot to do control wise in Crysis.

It's a first-person shooter; what's it supposed to have that wasn't there? Considering you could customize your weapons on the fly and interact with things in the environment, it has more than quite a few first-person shooters do, including that recent one with a "2" somewhere in the title that's sold a bazillion copies.

If you want innovation in an FPS, why not just pick up Shattered Horizons?

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

6. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 17:46 Nahor

Maybe NYC will be both a city and a tropical island, thanks to global warming.

But even with just a city, if one can go at the top of the skyscrapers and have a highly detailed view of NYC and not just cube with low-def texture, it can be quite a graphical feat.

5. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 17:39 Jerykk

Crysis already seemed to have some console-centric features, mainly the regenerating health and radial menu. I don't see the gameplay being drastically affected by the transition to consoles.  

4. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 17:30 necrosis

CommunistHamster wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 17:28:
Sounds like the levels will be made smaller and less open to cater for castrated console technology.
I was thinking the same thing. No groundbreaking graphics here kiddies. No massive levels and open environments. Somehow I feel the gameplay will be dumbed down too but really that sounds hard considering there was not a lot to do control wise in Crysis.

3. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 17:28 CommunistHamster

Sounds like the levels will be made smaller and less open to cater for castrated console technology.  

2. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 17:26 Jerykk

On the bright side, at least Crytek isn't making another game set on a tropical island.  

1. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 17:10 Bludd

Cool.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo