Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed?

Duck and Cover describes how Bethesda Softworks has been scrambling to redact court transcripts from their ongoing court battle with Interplay to prevent details on a secret "World of Warcraft type MMO" project from coming to light. In a follow-up, VG247 reports they are "very reliably informed" that this is an Elder Scrolls MMORPG that they say was supposed to be revealed last year, something that has been hinted more than once since Bethesda parent ZeniMax opened an MMOG studio in 2007. Development of this game has apparently been ongoing since late 2006, with "tens of millions of dollars" already invested and a development team of "close to a hundred people."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 21, 2010, 02:48 Kxmode

Breathless.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 21:44 space captain

sweeeeet!! im there  
Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 20:11 Dev

space captain:
Have you tried the Quest for Glory (aka hero's quest) II VGA remake by AGD? Its a fan made one that absolutely faithful to the original, but with hand drawn VGA graphics and digital music, in the spirit of how sierra used to remake thier titles into VGA.
Main site:
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/
Screenshots:
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/about/media/about_media.html

Wowbagger_TIP:
Probalby for several reasons, I'll throw out a few. One is because the couple successful examples make a lot of money, more than many best selling games, and its something that can last for years. Most game studios go back and forth between bankruptcy and success (if they are lucky) between each title. Since the vast majority of games bring in the majority of money in a short time frame. MMORPGs give a steady income so you can develope other things. Also, if you can get investors, they will probably put up more money for something like that with sustainable income than a random one off title from a random developer. So I think there's more money out there for that kinda thing.

Those kinda factors just draw companies to MMORPGs not to mention the "greed" which is definately a factor. They see WoW's huge success and want a piece of the pie. I think many companies figure if they throw millions at it, they can make money. Money doesn't make a good game, let alone a good MMORPG and there's been TONS of failed mmorpgs as you mention.

24. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 19:53 Drayth

An E.S. title that can't be mod'ed? ....hmmmmm......  

23. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 19:39 tuddies

hope they still make a single player - no mmo for me!

just imagine OBLIVION without MODS?!?! NO WAY!

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 20:42.

22. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 18:19 NKD

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 17:34:
Why does everybody and his dog think that they can make a successful MMOG? Isn't the market fairly saturated already? Do the scads of failed MMOGs make any profit at all? Do they even break even?

If everyone who bought an MMO on day 1 stopped playing the next day and never resubscribed after their free month, companies would still make a profit. Box sales _almost_ always cover the entire cost of pre-release development.

Subscriber retention is still important though because it's lame to sink a ton of money into something only to make a little bit of profit when you could have done something else and made more profit.

Subscriber retention also affects how long the MMO lasts and whether it gets meaningful new content.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

21. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 17:34 Wowbagger_TIP

Why does everybody and his dog think that they can make a successful MMOG? Isn't the market fairly saturated already? Do the scads of failed MMOGs make any profit at all? Do they even break even?

edit: MMORPGs seem like the digital equivalent of collectible crap like beanie babies and such. Communities form around them, so they're a social outlet, but they aren't really useful or worth anything to someone outside of that social group. It's just a hobby that you spend time doing to get more items to compare with everyone else. Odd.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 17:37.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

20. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 17:32 Jerykk

To be fair, I think the recent direction of series lends itself pretty well to an MMO. Choice and consequence didn't exist in Oblivion since you could master every skill and become the Grandmaster of every guild. Nobody played Oblivion for the story, they played it for the exploration.  

19. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 16:28 AdamK47

Not an MMO! The Elder Scrolls needs to be a single player experience.  

18. Re: you are likely to be eaten by a grue Jan 20, 2010, 15:30 Cutter

Bethsoft's games were too sandboxy and not enough focus for a CRPG. Hell Rockstar made a better CRPG/Sandbox game with the GTA series. Sure it's great to have divergence and a big ol' world to explore, but not when it's boring shite everywhere.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. you are likely to be eaten by a grue Jan 20, 2010, 14:44 space captain

Zork was cool, Hitchikers Guide was cool, but Leather Goddesses of Phobos was THE SHIT!

/lewd

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 14:03 osage no onna

I've been a fan of their sandboxy ways since nineteen-ninety-whenever Daggerfall came out, but I couldn't be less interested in an ES MMO. Back around the time Morrowind came out I remember one of the guys (maybe Todd Howard) saying that Elder Scrolls would never go multiplayer and that's just not the kind of experience the games are about.

I guess WoW happened after that. If you have a popular series these days your shareholders likely aren't going to be happy until you try to get some monthly fees out of it.

As much as I'm looking forward to TES V, I won't even consider getting this. I wish them luck, but not too much or it might take their focus away from the singleplayer games.

15. Re: Game Reviews Jan 20, 2010, 13:59 BobBob

Zork, Deadline, and all the other Infocom games were the best.  

14. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 13:22 Icewind

Daggerfall was the best of the series. Went downhill after that. It was really nothing more than a 3D rogue. You had insane large takes-days-to-clear dungeons that were, except for the main quest line ones, randomly generated. It was enormous fun if a bit frustrating some of the time.

One thing I wish they never abandoned was Daggerfall's character creation. By far and away the deepest ever in a CRPG.

13. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 13:12 space captain

i think i remember using 12 floppies to install "Hero's Quest" back in the dizzay... oh yeh, they were the awesome 5 1/4" size too

btw - that game still kicks ass.. if you can put up with some really really old graphics (16 colors), then you NEED to play it

you can download the whole thing here, all 5MB worth:
http://www.oldgames.sk/en/games.php?extra=644

also, Hero's Quest 2 is way better than the first one - its one of my all time favorite PC games

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 12:22 zendikk

Personally the worst of the series is still better than most games. Ive played since the very first game on 5 or 6 floppies think it was called The Arena. Anywho it was jaw dropping for its time.

Im still a huge fan and ill take Elder Scrolls anyway they choose to release it. MMo or single player. I do hope that they would continue to make some single player or smaller online *with your friends* type elder scroll games.

11. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 12:15 Ratty

And yes, I remember Daggerfall. As buggy and odd as that game was at times, it is still by far the best Elder Scrolls ever.
There were some truly awful things about Daggerfall (it nuked my hard drive and I had to replace it), but it was still the best of the ES games. I loved the HUUUGE dungeons. I loved the procedurally generated terrain, villages, and quests. I played it long after I finished the main quest. I loved Arena too (and boy do I sure miss pass-wall!). I loved Oblivion for awhile. After the main quest it got boring and shallow and I never played it again.

10. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 12:15 Wowbagger_TIP

I really have no use for MMORPGs. Every single one of them ends up being just a grind-fest. I like playing games where actions have some consequence or effect on the world and the story. Yeah, games still have a long way to go in these areas, but at least the offline games try. The online games make no attempt really (EVE being a possible exception, but that game just introduced a whole new raft of design choices that make it unappealing).  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 12:07 Scud

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 11:29:
Ugh. Please do not let this be Elder Scrolls 5

Creston
Agreed, I like the Elder Scrolls series over all and if ES 5 is to be an MMOG then ES is dead to me.

8. Re: Elder Scrolls MMOG Revealed? Jan 20, 2010, 11:36 Quboid

I hope they will continue with offline editions too. I loved Morrowind and Oblivion and I really don't want to play a grind-em-up, never mind paying monthly for the pleasure.  

- Quboid

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo