Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Peter Jackson Games?

Gamasutra reports on indications that director Peter Jackson may be contemplating game development, based on an interview on Ain't It Cool News. He talks of his involvement in game tie-ins with his current project, a Tintin movie, bit also talks of the possibility of breaking out and developing an original IP: "I think some of the ideas I've got, I'd rather do them as a standalone game," he said, "because that world is getting more and more interesting."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 20, 2010, 12:39 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 11:52:
kxmode wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 03:23:
Creston wrote on Jan 19, 2010, 23:38:
I can't wait for him to take one game and then turn it into two games...

Peter Jackson's Peter Jackson: The Official Game of Peter Jackson

Part One.

Indeed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 20, 2010, 11:52 Creston

kxmode wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 03:23:

Part One.

Creston

10. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 20, 2010, 09:24 Lit_Reflex001

I think it's good that he's found it possible to apply his ideas to a game. It's very good news for the game industry that a leading director is excited about the angle games provide for his ideas.

Try to not to fuck it up with inflated bullshit about the wonderful storytelling platform and unique story-enhancing interactivity that modern gaming provides.

I'd like to see some unique IPs cropping up that can at least refresh us with some honestly new things; like how Rockstar came out of nowhere with Red Dead Revolver (which I really liked, despite that consistently incomplete/beta feel I got).

Also, I thought that the Xbox FPS involving Oddworld was a surprisingly good game with good graphics.

In any case, my concern is that Peter Jackson will be unable to secure a proper game engine for his ideas.

It's my understanding that Avatar has been in production for a VERY long time (like 8 year DNF status) and that a game version has been tagging along for at least too long as well.

Due to this fact, the game engine that Avatar uses is HORRIBLY out of date and honestly looks like some enhanced Quake 2 engine.

I'm worried that he won't have the technical know-how to properly control things and will at the very best end up with a sub-par Xbox 360-like graphics engine or some crap like that.

By Xbox 360-like I mean that it will magically generate minimal heat (Microsoft, did you already know about this Red Ring of Death issue and somehow make all parties involved in Xbox 360 develop optimize their code to magically make my GPU run at inexplicably low temperatures?)

and run REALLY, REALLY fast for a machine that can't handle modern graphics at the time (before I upgraded I was running an Athlon64 3500+ <2.2 GHz> single core with a Radeon X1600 Pro 512 <good luck w/ the Doom 3 engine when you upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Duo 2.66, AKA the Crysis PC minus the 8/9800 GT and it still runs slow).

Hopefully he can hire someone who will manage things to where his ideas are professionally and properly implemented.

Unlike all these alleged Hollywood film gurus who apparently become retarded whenever computers are involved.

Like coming from the perspective, perhaps, that "lighting is everything" and yet abysmally faceplant when it comes to hiring that company to implement some middleware-like CGI into their films.

At which point, all control and common sense stops and this third party group implements lighting on the CGI that makes it stick out like a sore thumb and look COMPLETELY UNNATURAL.

The solution? It's what we call "ray tracing" (AKA the only way to make your lighting look realistic).

Also, see Underworld and Dr. Doolittle 2 (I think it's part 2 that has all the triple A cgi).

I have never seen a more realistic depiction of a living creature from CGI than in that Dr. Doolittle movie. Also, Underworld's CGI blended in with the rest of things so well that only one effect kind of stuck out for me; a light reflection coming off of a werewolf's wet chest that was unfortunately rendered without ray-tracing (or something).

Understand; these people apparently say "I want CGI! Make it happen!" and then completely ignore the fact that their movie looks like shit because CGI normally looks that way.

Well, it shouldn't if your putting it in a movie. Lighting is everything, right? Well, you don't have to put up with ignorance or bad lighting.

The Avatar engine being out of date is uacceptable because it is normal in a proper development cycle to scrap an engine and restart the entire project if necessary.

Given that Avatar is a game-to-movie gamble that may exist due to Peter Jackson's whims, a more conservative agenda makes sense (so does failing to dump truckloads of money for a potentially lackluster game on the sales charts).

They really should have ported it to another engine though before release.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 09:30.

9. steal this comment Jan 20, 2010, 08:34 space captain

valued member of the human race

oxymoron

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 20, 2010, 07:47 Hoop

You have to stop replacing the word steal with piracy...its like me addressing you as valued member of the human race, instead of ...well you know.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 07:49.

Um .. Behind you...

7. removed Jan 20, 2010, 06:58 aNNe fRANk

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 20, 2010, 11:54.

6. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 20, 2010, 06:55 aNNe fRANk

well im a pirate and i noticed all the games keep coming out. seems like piracy doesnt stop anything.

and avatar the game sucks BALLS! like hairy goat balls. i kno because i pirated it. and deleted it.

but i dont pirate all games. like modern warfare 2. only because if u want to play online u cant pirate it.

and im thankful ive pirated games. most games im done with in a couple days. ill play 100 games a year for less than 100 bucks.

while you will play 10 games for 500 bucks.

wait, am i killing the industry? nope, theres a whole nother 2 years of releases on the books.

and yea, peter jacksons game will suck balls. they already do. remember King Kong the craptastic game?

5. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 20, 2010, 03:27 theyarecomingforyou

Most of his movies are just non-interactive video games anyway. Both LOTR and King Kong suffered from an excessive amount of CGI, the latter especially. The Frighteners is actually my favourite film that he's done. I wish him the best of luck, though if the games are anything like his movies then I'll probably pass.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 20, 2010, 03:23 Kxmode

3. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 19, 2010, 23:42 Wallshadows

That's impossible, we all know piracy is ruining the industry because the internets keeps saying so!

Avatar: The Game is one of the best games released in recent years and the only reason it's not doing so hot is because of piracy and not because of it's quality.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

2. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 19, 2010, 23:38 Creston

Creston

1. Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 19, 2010, 23:17 Kxmode

"because that world is getting more and more interesting profitable."

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo