Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 2 DLC Details

BioWare Unveils "The Cerberus Network" a new vehicle for news and DLC delivery for Mass Effect 2, also announcing promised details on the day one DLC, which will indeed be free, as indicated. The Cerberus Network is free with purchase of the RPG sequel, and word is those who buy the game used can unlock a copy through a one-time, in-game purchase of an activation code. The game's first DLC will be released through the program on January 26 along with the game's North American launch, and they say this will add new missions and in-game items. Word is: "Included in this pack is a mission that introduces Zaeed, a rugged and deadly gun-for-hire who is recruited to join Commander Shepard’s mission to save mankind" (here are a pair of Zaeed screenshots). The announcement also includes news on a second bit of downloadable content, though they don't specify whether this will also be free:

After launch, BioWare will release another DLC pack for Mass Effect 2 that introduces the Hammerhead, a new vehicle in the Mass Effect universe. This agile hover tank features improved handling on rough terrain and maneuvers deftly in combat -- a necessity for players traveling across harsh planetary environments throughout the galaxy. In addition to this new vehicle, BioWare will release new missions and unique in-game items, including Cerberus Assault Armor which boost shields, health and heavy weapon ammo and the M-22 Eviscerator Shotgun.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Feb 17, 2010, 10:41 dryden555

CK has it right -- as soon as ME2 has a "gold" edition (next XMAS season), the Cerberus Network will be free and all of the other DLC for it will be free too. I fully expect there to be a ME3 released at holiday season too.

Honestly games that promise "lots of DLC!!!" allow me to happily wait a year and buy the game when the DLC is free and the game costs no mare than 30 bucks.....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 22, 2010, 09:48 cK

They are following the same model that a lot of developers are following by encouraging sales of new games. You can bet that all new sealed copies will have this code, it will be in a new copy that you buy even in 2 years from now. Just like Gears of War 2 did on the xbox 360, with the map pack that was downloadable on day 1.

This is all to encourage sales of new games, instead of used games where developers do not get any profit from, only gamestop, or such stores. I think this is good. I hate that Gamestop thinks they can drop the price of a used game by 5 dollars (less than a new sealed copy) and sell it and make a ridiculous profit, and game developers do not see anything. Just think about it, if someone was selling your work and making a profit, and then buying it back a fraction of the cost and then selling it again all over for another profit.

24. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 21, 2010, 11:16 nin

I'd doubt its limited for new copies, but a year down the line if someone were to pick a used copy up, esentially they would have to pay for a code just to get the Cerberus interface to download available DLC is how I'm reading it. Which seems a tad shady imo.

It's been stated that it's included in new copies. It's designed to encourage people to buy new over used.

Seeing as how a used copy "a year down the line" (to use your example) should be cheaper, I'd say it all evens out.

I'm not defending it, I'm just saying that's how it's been explained (to my understanding).

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 21, 2010, 10:40 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Jan 21, 2010, 10:00:
Agreed, its amazing that someone who buys ME2 down the line will have to pay a fee just to have the privledge to pay more fees for DLC.

Did they say it's limited, or just in new copies? Bit of a difference there...
I'd doubt its limited for new copies, but a year down the line if someone were to pick a used copy up, esentially they would have to pay for a code just to get the Cerberus interface to download available DLC is how I'm reading it. Which seems a tad shady imo.

22. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 21, 2010, 10:00 nin

Agreed, its amazing that someone who buys ME2 down the line will have to pay a fee just to have the privledge to pay more fees for DLC.

Did they say it's limited, or just in new copies? Bit of a difference there...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 21, 2010, 09:28 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Jan 19, 2010, 14:08:
The Cerberus Network is free with purchase of the RPG sequel, and word is those who buy the game used can unlock a copy through a one-time, in-game purchase of an activation code.

Jesus Christ, Bioware. Let people just fucking PLAY your fucking game already, without making them jump through 95 billion fucking HOOPS. Haven't you learned fucking anything from your Dragon Age DLC fiasco??

Unbefuckinglievable. Listen to EA some more, it just makes your games better and better. Twits.

Creston

Agreed, its amazing that someone who buys ME2 down the line will have to pay a fee just to have the privledge to pay more fees for DLC. Sure didn't take long for Bioware to do a complete 180 from fan friendly to money grubbing douchebags.

20. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 21, 2010, 09:05 Verno

If there's one thing GTAIV PC proved it's that PC gamers love having scores of independent, peripheral applications attached to every game.

It's actually integrated directly into the game on all platforms, you access it from a computer in your ship.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

19. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 20, 2010, 13:04 Ray Marden

Mind you, I haven't kept super up to date on this game.....but I do believe the Mako is gone. Instead of the stupid grid searching of a larger grid via vehicle, you now fly your ship to a given planet and then use your scanners to search the planet's surface.

Once you find an area of interest, a drop ship (just a cinematic, I believe) will immediatel deposit you to the ground level of a given area.

It still sounds a little goofy, but at least it looks like the planet can be scanned fairly quickly in the ship and it means no Mako...
RAWR, LOOK AT MY SPACE TONKA TRUNK! WITH PEW PEW PEW WEAPONS!
Just putzing around in Borderlands and Torchlight at the moment,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

18. Mass Effect 2 Jan 20, 2010, 03:12 Bob Bobsen

Delayed release date, in Europe not until the 5th of February....

"Death before Disco"

17. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 19:11 Kedyn

An extra bad-ass space marine, with a scar. ...Really?

Scarred, yes, but bad ass? This guy looks kinda old to be much of a bad ass, so he might at least have an interesting story!

16. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 16:38 Dots

If there's one thing GTAIV PC proved it's that PC gamers love having scores of independent, peripheral applications attached to every game.
Cerberus Network isn't a standalone application, otherwise how would console users utilize it?

15. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 16:28 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 15:23 JoeNapalm

soooo - work hard for a long time to earn a reward, or just pay some cash to have it now??

would you like fries with that? how about a sunday?

This may sound like crazy talk, to some (and I'm not sure where you're going with the fries thing), but I'd rather earn it. It's hardly work - I'm playing a game. If it feels like work, it's going to get nuked off my HD in short order.

The enjoyment I get from games is generally from accomplishing tasks via luck, wit, or skill. Triggers the good old Reward Centers in the brain. It's why I (and, I would imagine, most people) play video games.

Punching in my credit card number generally doesn't have the same effect. (Pesky Y chromosome, again, I guess.)

Then again, I can't grok people who buy gold or levels in MMOGs. Paying someone to play the game...the game that you paid money to play? WTF? If it's not fun to play...don't!

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatraite

13. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 15:21 Verno

Man there's a lot of vitriol in this thread for something so perfectly harmless. How many of you are buying used copies of this game for the PC/360 and even affected by this?

Now if they were saying "We want $10 for day-one DLC and no one gets it for free despite preorder/SKU status" then that would be something to bitch about.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

12. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 15:20 Dr. D. Schreber

I'd be shocked if the DLC gear for Mass Effect 2 isn't the same; just look at the stats for the Collector and Inferno armor, there's no way there isn't better stuff somewhere in the game. The Blackstorm Projector might be pretty game-breaking, but it's a heavy weapon so you're not going to have enough ammo to fire it in every gunfight.

I'm more concerned that Mister Scarface here is the very definitely last party member, which would mean that Legion isn't recruitable. Goddamn but if that's the case they missed one hell of an awesome party member.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

11. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 15:15 kimbambaman

Actually in DA's case I found the best gear came from the main game. The DLC gear is definitely better at the beginning of the campaign, but by the end I had already found several armor sets that were superior.  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

10. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 15:13 kimbambaman

I don't see what the big deal is...this seems analogous to the Stone Prisoner DLC for DA. That was straightforward enough...put in the code that came in the box, DLC is downloaded and ready to go. (I'm on the 360 version, maybe the PC version had issues?)

And as far as DLC it was decent, I thought Shale is an interesting character, and a nice incentive for buying the game new. The price (I think) roughly makes up the discount you would get the game new so its basically a wash. /shrug

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

9. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 14:08 Creston

The Cerberus Network is free with purchase of the RPG sequel, and word is those who buy the game used can unlock a copy through a one-time, in-game purchase of an activation code.

Jesus Christ, Bioware. Let people just fucking PLAY your fucking game already, without making them jump through 95 billion fucking HOOPS. Haven't you learned fucking anything from your Dragon Age DLC fiasco??

Unbefuckinglievable. Listen to EA some more, it just makes your games better and better. Twits.

Creston

8. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Details Jan 19, 2010, 14:08 Ecthelion

I've read that the Mako vehicle from the first game is gone. Is this Hammerhead the only vehicle for ME2, or is there a replacement for the Mako in the base game (without extra DLC)? I have been avoiding videos to stay away from spoilers, so I'm not sure if any of them showed vehicles. Hopefully this Hammerhead is just an upgrade to a vehicle that's already in the game.

I wouldn't mind paying for DLC if it added something substantial to the game, and not just better equipment.

7. TEAM AMERICA - FUCK YEH! Jan 19, 2010, 13:50 space captain

soooo - work hard for a long time to earn a reward, or just pay some cash to have it now??

would you like fries with that? how about a sunday?

Go forth, and kill!

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo