Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight

Atkinson won't surrender anti-R18+ fight on GameSpot has a profile of Michael Atkinson, the South Australian Attorney General widely regarded as the stumbling block impeding the adoption of an R18+ rating that would allow adults to purchase adult games in Australia. They outline his position that a discussion paper to assist in debating the issue will not be complete without images of the games being discussed, saying without images: "They’ll have no idea how violent or sexually depraved they are, and what kind of torture, drug use, and blood spatter they include." Atkinson also describes getting hate mail and death threats, and seems comfortable admitting that as this point he's willing to disregard the facts of the matter in the name of what sounds like a vendetta: "It's unlikely I’ll change my stance [on R18+ for games] anytime soon, considering the last death threat I received was pushed under my door at 2am, presumably by someone who doesn’t like my stance on R18+," Atkinson said. "It was like something out of a Hollywood film--letters cut from magazine headlines arranged together on a page. I receive abusive emails from anonymous senders on a daily basis. I get called a paedophile every single day. But I won’t surrender."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: thats not a knife... Jan 21, 2010, 09:51 nin

Did you guys see hellbinder made Digg?

http://digg.com/people/Best_Decision_Ever_PIC

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: thats not a knife... Jan 21, 2010, 00:03 TurdFergasun

Hellbinder wrote on Jan 19, 2010, 14:04:
No, The ridiculous levels of Violence, sexual abuse, drugs, rape, murder and the like NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. The whole culture everywhere is being turned more and more perverse with each passing year.

You guys can say what you like but your brains are already warped. Open your eyes to what is going on around you and Stand up and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

You can have fun video games without all the profanity, Excessive violence, dismemberments, sexual abuse, drugs, beatings and the like.

This thing needs to be brought back into some level of sanity.

you talk like someone who's been "touched" by the hand of god one too many times...

seriously tho reading that utter puritan trash you've typed brings more images of violent drug fueled rape, than any game or movie could prosibly hope to impose. if you want media locked in like that, then you can lock you and your ilk inside some close minded colony, give it a name... say bountiful, hide it somewhere out in the woods perhaps somewhere out by east bumblefuck. then you can procreate internally with those you deem worthy of duplication, and bliss can finally be yours.

the day north america gets locked down into one of these idealogical shitshow's is the day i find someone with your ideals, grab a fistful of pcp and face fuck them raw til the sun comes up.

i'll send u a video if ever the good lord sees fit to bring this to light.

15. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 20, 2010, 05:26 Jackplug

all i will say is that atkinson is a fuck up, I feel sorry for his kids. He said that his son plays in gaming tournaments for which game kitties island adventure or mario +2yr olds version??

As for the death threats, he spat in the eyes of adults who want to do what they are allowed to be able to do as adults and that is do what ever they wish to do...

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 05:28.

14. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 18:04 derelict koan

Anyone who thinks we live in a real democracy is in for a dissapointment.

I think it's democracy the brand...not the idea

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

13. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 17:45 Cutter

That's not much different from any place else, Tal. The first and primary occupation of any political party is to get itself into power and keep itself it there, actual governance and doing the right thing be damned. And excepting a few key, big flashy issues, all these parties pretty much vote all the same way all the time regardless. Anyone who thinks we live in a real democracy is in for a dissapointment.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 16:00 Talisorn

The sad thing is now, in the wee small hours, a bill was passed that in South Australia that all R18+ movies must be sold or hired with brown paper covers or be display in a sectioned off room of their own. So "Mad Max", "The Godfather", "Apocalypse Now", "Taxi Driver", "The Hangover (uncut version)" are now considered verboten in Atkinson's state.

One of the big problems with Australian politics is that just about everything is about partisan politics. If Labor goes one way, the Liberals go the other. No party member will ever cross the floor against their own party. That means that the independents more than often hold the balance of power ... and the party in power usually have to suck up the the nut-job groups like "Family First". That's how this latest movie law got in, and I'd be surprised if their not pulling some of the strings when it comes to the game debate as well.

I'm not excusing Atkinson though; he is also a certifiable nut-job too. Hopefully the next election in South Australia will see the Liberals in power ... and that comes from a died in the wool leftist Labor voter.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2010, 16:00.

11. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 15:47 Wallshadows

Sounds like all this guy can do now is die.

...or be overthrown.

10. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 15:40 Overon

People shouldn't be making death threats against this guy or saying he's a pedophile without evidence. That just makes him stronger. It's counterproductive.

9. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 14:55 Frijoles

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 19, 2010, 14:35:
And I've never gone out and raped or murdered someone, so clearly I don't have a problem distinguishing between fiction and reality.

Do you go to jewelry stores and re-arrange their rings to be in colored order too? Can't count how many times I've gotten kicked out. Bejewelled should be banned.

8. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 14:35 theyarecomingforyou

You can have fun video games without all the profanity, Excessive violence, dismemberments, sexual abuse, drugs, beatings and the like.
I do have fun with games like Bejewelled Twist and Braid but also with GTA4 and L4D2. And I've never gone out and raped or murdered someone, so clearly I don't have a problem distinguishing between fiction and reality.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: thats not a knife... Jan 19, 2010, 14:29  Blue 

And we can have them *with* those things as well. And it shouldn't matter if you don't like those things, because you can feel free not to play them.

See how that works? Grown adults taking responsibility for their own lives and not relying on the state or religion to tell them what to do.

I couldn't agree more, though I don't think we have the same perspective on sanity.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 14:21 Riker

Fascist nutjob. Rise up against your nanny state, Australians.  

5. Re: thats not a knife... Jan 19, 2010, 14:10 nin

Obligatory "fuckity fuck fuck fuck" for you, Hellbinder. Wouldn't want you to miss out...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: thats not a knife... Jan 19, 2010, 14:04 Hellbinder

No, The ridiculous levels of Violence, sexual abuse, drugs, rape, murder and the like NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. The whole culture everywhere is being turned more and more perverse with each passing year.

You guys can say what you like but your brains are already warped. Open your eyes to what is going on around you and Stand up and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

The Whales name is Bob.

3. thats not a knife... Jan 19, 2010, 13:39 space captain

thats what happens with some of these bulldog assholes - once you provoke them, the sole focus becomes the fight itself... and all initial motivations be damned. because if he "surrendered" he would be less of a man, less of a champion, less of a master of the universe. cant have that.  
Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 13:23 eXFeLoN

Damn I thought this was about Mr. Bean, not that paedophile Michael Atkinson.  

1. Re: Atkinson on Aus R18+ Fight Jan 19, 2010, 13:08 TurdFergasun

i can't wait til he gets ousted with whatever twisted fetish this closet perv is trying to compensate for just like every other puritan in the media who's staunchly against something they secretly truly lust for. ie. Iris Robinson, larry craig, glen beck etc.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo