Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Half-Life in 2010?

The February 2010 print issue of Game Informer magazine reports there will not be a Half-Life game release in 2010, according to Blend Games. Of course no such release has been announced either, but Valve is known to be working on "stuff". According to the story: "it's not even clear what form a new game would take. It could be Half-Life 2: Episode Three or it may be Half-Life 3," though it's not clear where this information originates.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 22, 2010, 13:35 Verno

Everyone has their own taste in things, I will say however that the critics and consumers both spoke in sync with Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and so on.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 20, 2010, 10:07 wtf_man

LMN8R wrote on Jan 19, 2010, 23:48:
In the meantime, their self-admitted-failure-as-of-two-years-ago sure hasn't stopped them from releasing some incredible games since then, and continuing to update those games ever since.

BTW, I was just pokin' some fun at you with my earlier comment... since it was a bit vile, I apologize.

Anyway... I don't think Valve's games are all that incredible. Other than the original Half-life and perhaps Counter-Strike for the multi-player fans... their games seem fairly mediocre to me, and way over-hyped. If anything, I think they're a one hit wonder.

I'm not saying they make bad games... but they aren't all that great either.

35. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 20, 2010, 08:21 Dmitri_M

I enjoyed the episodes. Playing HL2 and ep1 and ep2 back to back is great. I hope for more. Don't mind waiting for HL3 though..  

34. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 20, 2010, 03:42 Jerykk

I hope the next Portal has multiplayer. That would be pretty crazy and could potentially be the only multiplayer game to interest me since Tribes.  

33. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 20, 2010, 02:46 derelict koan

well, I don't mind waiting for hl3...just the thought of the grav gun and the portal gun in one game is enough to get me excited. HL2 still remains a gaming masterpiece in my mind...though they can keep their DLC...or episodic content or whatever else you wanna call it.  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

32. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 23:48 elefunk

The Valve fanboys are on the loose, and deluded as always.

Valve failed with their foray into episodic gaming. Even they know it.
Wait, you're calling people "fanboys" and "deluded" here, even though those people you're attacking already pointed out exactly what you said:

"Even they know it."

That's. The. Entire. Fucking. Point.

Valve knows they failed in their original plans for "episodic gaming". That's why they admitted their failure more than 2 years ago, long before Episode Two even came out. So what's the point in bringing it up in every single thread, year after year, month after month, week after week, day after day?

It's as if someone were to barge into every Blizzard thread and rant endlessly about how they "failed" with Starcraft Ghost.

In the meantime, their self-admitted-failure-as-of-two-years-ago sure hasn't stopped them from releasing some incredible games since then, and continuing to update those games ever since.

31. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 22:35 Sepharo

I bought HL1 in 1999.

I bought a ATI 9800xt in late 2003 which came with a free voucher for HL2.

I bought Episode 1 in 2006.

I bought The Orange Box in 2007.

I bought L4D in 2008.

This is what I got:

Half-Life
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Team Fortress Classic
Counter-Strike
Condition Zero
Condition Zero: Deleted Scenes
Day of Defeat
Deathmatch Classic
Ricochet
Half-Life 2 (x2)
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life: Source
Half-Life Deathmatch: Source
Counter-Strike: Source
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (x2)
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Left 4 Dead

And countless mods, but hey may as well name a few I spent more than a day with:
Natural Selection
Vampire Slayer
Pirates Vikings and Knights
Pirates Vikings and Knights 2
Science and Industry
Gang Wars
Action Half Life
Frontline Force
Garry's Mod
Golden Eye: Source
Insurgency
SourceForts
Fistful of Frags
Battle Grounds
Battle Grounds2

So a decade a later and easily over 10,000 hours played of games Valve made possible, I guess you could call me a Valve fanboy.

30. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 20:51 wtf_man

LMN8R wrote on Jan 19, 2010, 13:17:
Article: "No Half-Life in 2010?"

Comments thread: "FUCK DLC AND FUCKING DLC BULLSHIT VALVE SUCKS AT EPISODIC CONTENT FUCK DLC!!!!"

And you call bullshit on me?

No... I think he is just saying that you need pull your head out of Gabe's gaping "regurgitated-big-mac-flowing" ass. Puke

Grin

29. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 18:55 Nameless Again

The Valve fanboys are on the loose, and deluded as always.

Valve failed with their foray into episodic gaming. Even they know it.

Personally, I hope they start a new IP. Half-Life's story is played out, and L4D is already getting long in the tooth. Let's have something new and hope they bring to gaming what HL1 did, at the time of release. Unfortunately, if they're going to consolize it, it'll never be as good as it could have been.

28. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 17:32 elefunk

This episodic gaming thing worked out really well. ~7 hours of gameplay released in ~5 years. That's a solid model. Keeps people really interested in your game, too.

Of course, Valve is just going to go the DLC route, like everyone else.
Yes. In the last 5 years, Valve has released 7 hours of gameplay. And who the hell plays Valve games anymore? No one. No one plays Valve games anymore.

They're totally fucking irrelevant in this day and age. They don't release games. They released 7 hours of gameplay in the last 5 years. No one plays Valve games. Valve doesn't update their games with new content.

And when they do release new content, they charge people up the ass for it.

Fuck Valve, fuck their irrelevancy, fuck their DLC policies.

27. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 16:24 Hump

Valve has a lot of pressure on them. Source is due for a major upgrade and episode 3 has to live up to some insane expectations being the end of the series and all......  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

26. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 15:58 bigspender

how the hell is that news?

"company x, may or may not be working on game x "

wtf .....

I wouldn't wipe my ass with that article....

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

25. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 14:52 Creston

This episodic gaming thing worked out really well. ~7 hours of gameplay released in ~5 years. That's a solid model. Keeps people really interested in your game, too.

Of course, Valve is just going to go the DLC route, like everyone else.

Creston

24. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 13:48 Yosemite Sam

Heh a lot of bitching at Valve here, odd that, a company that continually updates its games and adds content for FREE when almost everyone else in the industry is soaking us for every last dime they can get.

As to HL3, I'm not really surprised theres been no announcement. Every time they have announced a game and set a date they have missed said date to the horror of the community, so could be they decided this time to just go ahead with the project and will start making noise when its close to completion.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

23. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 13:32 Bumpy

Meh. Valve has not put out anything of interest to me since Portal. Steam being too Big Brother I do not like so I buy nothing there. Valve has changed in a direction that does not appeal to me it would seem.  

22. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 13:28 HoSpanky

I'm inclined to think they're going straight for hl3 only because the consoles got Orange Box and maybe they don't want to confuse or exclude those players by squeezing in a 3rd episode. Not everyone has Internet connectivity, can't assume they can download the 3rd ep.
I just want the story continuation, whatever form it ends up taking. I'd love to see a new base engine, but if it's still the same one I wouldn't be disappointed.

21. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 13:21 Umbragen

I think I'm about done with Valve games. I buy stuff on Steam - whens it's on sale for like 5-10 bucks - that's about it. I'm not interested in anymore of their zombie crap.  

20. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 13:17 elefunk

Article: "No Half-Life in 2010?"

Comments thread: "FUCK DLC AND FUCKING DLC BULLSHIT VALVE SUCKS AT EPISODIC CONTENT FUCK DLC!!!!"

And you call bullshit on me?

19. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 13:08 xXBatmanXx

Why is anyone even talking about DLC here? What the hell does any of this have to do with DLC? Not this story, not what Valve has done recently, nothing. Valve has not charged a dime for a piece of DLC on PC, they've said nothing about charging a dime for DLC.

**cough** bullshit! **cough**

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 13:04 Enahs

o *gasp* they're going to do a hell of a lot more with the next Half-Life game than yet another episode!

You have nothing to base that claim on.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo