Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hellgate: London Returning

HanbitSoft has acquired worldwide publishing rights Hellgate: London, and plans to relaunch the action/RPG in China, Taiwan, and South East Asia, followed by the game's return to North America, Europe, and Japan. Says Kee-Young Kim, CEO of HanbitSoft: "Hellgate: Resurrection is heading towards success in Korea such that we decided to push ahead with launching the game overseas next year. We will do our best to get the game to the fans as soon as possible." Hellgate London closed early last year following the closure of Flagship Studios, and HanbitSoft has repeatedly indicated interest in returning the game to the west, but NAMCO BANDAI owned the game's European and North American rights until now. "We are pleased to participate in the revitalization of Hellgate through this agreement and are deeply gratified to allow Hanbitsoft to take the lead on this franchise and bring this game to the people who seek it," says Zack Karlsson, senior director of business development at NAMCO BANDAI Games America.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 19, 2010, 20:36 Belzabub

Verno wrote on Jan 19, 2010, 10:25:
I never actually played HGL due to the hooplah surrounding it. Does it compare reasonably to Borderlands?

No, not even close. HGL was a thoroughly boring and nearly unprofessional product, it more closely resembles an out of control mod at best. I'm not a massive fan of Borderlands myself but it's a far better game than HGL could ever claim to be.

Kind of like Saints row 2 is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 19, 2010, 10:25 Verno

I never actually played HGL due to the hooplah surrounding it. Does it compare reasonably to Borderlands?

No, not even close. HGL was a thoroughly boring and nearly unprofessional product, it more closely resembles an out of control mod at best. I'm not a massive fan of Borderlands myself but it's a far better game than HGL could ever claim to be.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

22. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 19, 2010, 07:45 Theo

its pretty obvious that life time subs are not gonna fly (diff pulisher got that money), however what i wonder is... will my old box work or are they attempting to re sell the game to people...

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

21. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 19:32 Fausticle

Unfortunately Bill Roper is no longer with this project, so I will not have a chance to shoot him with my sniper rifle at the grand re-opening.

I want my 60 bucks back Roper you fat sack of lying garbage!

I'm going back inside now....

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2010, 19:38.

20. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 18:26 Surf

As Darth Vader said in a Galaxy far, far away.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................."

19. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 17:38 Mysdrial

This game was passably fun for co-op play, but having it locked to their servers (ie, no LAN play) made the death of the servers the death of co-op. If I can get access to that again, I suppose I'll be happy enough. It certainly wasn't a deep game, though.  

18. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 17:35 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 17:29 space captain

Wow this thread reeks of hypocrisy!!!

why is that?

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 17:19 Kxmode

Is HanbitSoft going to honor lifetime subscriptions?  

15. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 16:33 Belzabub

Wow this thread reeks of hypocrisy!!!

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2010, 17:09.

14. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 16:29 Icewind

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 18, 2010, 16:10:
I was in the closed beta and when the title went live there was absolutely no changes to it.

The memory leak issue went on for a looooong time in retail and it was pointed out long before the release is an example.

Randomly generated maps suck if they only have a handful of uninspiring locations too.

I got into the Beta during its final week. In my experience, the retail version was actually worse, and apparently it used a code base that was older than what was in that final phase of the beta.

13. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 16:10 Wallshadows

I was in the closed beta and when the title went live there was absolutely no changes to it.

The memory leak issue went on for a looooong time in retail and it was pointed out long before the release is an example.

Randomly generated maps suck if they only have a handful of uninspiring locations too.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

12. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 15:26 Overon

So do people get their lifetime subscriptions honored?  

11. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 15:24 Zadig

Flagship shamelessly hyped the game as another Diablo when the only aspect of gameplay they managed to replicate flawlessly was stair traps. No part of the game was done particularly well, but it was the subscription plan that doomed it. Demanding a monthly fee to play a budget action game is utter madness.  

10. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 13:29 Icewind

The only thing that sticks in my mind about Hellgate London was how for almost three months after launch, they still hadn't fixed the bug that made your co-op team mates invisible to you. It was caused when someone joined a game outside of the zone everyone else was in and then "ported" through.

What really killed it for me was the fact that they only had 3 tile sets (Destroyed city street, sewer, warehouse) and kept recycling them over and over and over again.

At least Diablo 1 had four "sets". Christ. That was 96.

9. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 12:37 Verno

Oh Bob, you card.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

8. Re: Game Reviews Jan 18, 2010, 12:25 BobBob

Verno wrote on Jan 18, 2010, 10:33:
The game itself was a bug filled nightmare to start. It featured incredibly repetitive textures and environments, the gameplay mechanics were obtuse to the point of nauseum and basic things like chat were broken for weeks at a time. Underneath it all the game itself just wasn't a lot of fun either. I can't say I'm anxious to see it return and I doubt many other people are either.

You are almost describing another game that I refrain from criticizing any further.

7. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 12:20 kanniballl

Lorcin wrote on Jan 18, 2010, 11:57:
SO how do the muppets who got conned into the lifetime subscriptions stand?

I'm imagine they're just as SOL as before. Then again I don't see the big deal: lifetime was only available around launch and cost the same as 15 months of play. Meanwhile the servers stayed up for 15 months.

Then again I heard something happened in June 2008, so maybe they lost functionality? In which case that sucks.

I went with a lifetime to Champions Online, I figure so long as the servers stay up for 13 or 14 months I'm in the black. The Bill Roper link isn't lost on me, and was the only real negative in my pros/cons list for doing it.

I probably won't be doing that again any time soon, the only other game I might consider is DC Universe since I'm a major DC Comics fan. However since I don't think Sony has EVER offered a lifetime subscription I doubt it'll happen here.

With Champions, if I ever want to hop back into the game months or (perhaps) years after I finish it's no big deal. As opposed to City of Heroes where I resubscribed for 1-2 months a couple of times, and the last time I forgot to cancel my subscription so I payed for a handful of months I didn't play.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2010, 12:36.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 11:57 Lorcin

SO how do the muppets who got conned into the lifetime subscriptions stand?  

5. Re: Hellgate: London Returning Jan 18, 2010, 11:27 Prez

This game could have been really good had Flagship focused on making it into a solid game first rather than trying to developing it as a money racket.

Hopefully Hanbitsoft can do something with the mess this game turned into because of greed and stupidity.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo