Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details

Joystiq points to a Norwegian newspaper article that's no longer available as a source of purported details on Mass Effect 2 DLC, which the article said will be available around the release of BioWare's RPG sequel. The DLC is said to include new weapons, an unlockable planet, and a new ally. As stated, the article has been removed, and there's no way of knowing at this point if it was accurate.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 18, 2010, 12:42 Verno

Agreed, free DLC used to curb used game sales is fine with me. It doesn't prevent you from selling your copy but it does offer an incentive to buy an original copy instead of used. It's a great compromise.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 17, 2010, 05:12 Jerykk

Anyway, back on topic. Day 1 DLC is not the trend..It's just EA being EA. Milking us for every penny is what they do.

I don't really see how free DLC milks customers. If free DLC hurts used game sales and ends up putting GameStop out of business, I'm all for it.

31. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 17:09 VoodooV

Finally, us rich bastards who collect game boxes get our deserved rewards.

Yes, the struggles of the oppressed rich are well documented. I realize you may have been just joking with that comment..so consider this a joke in return.

Anyway, back on topic. Day 1 DLC is not the trend..It's just EA being EA. Milking us for every penny is what they do. Producing a good product...that's just a nice side bonus

30. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 13:22 Beamer

Yup, it'll be Day 1 DLC with a code to download it free in the box.

Expect this to be in nearly every AAA release by 2011. It's a method to truly devalue used games. Used games are typically only $5 cheaper than new, but if the new game comes with a free download of $5-$10 DLC then suddenly it makes more sense to buy new.

It's the most consumer-friendly way to strike back at GameStop. It does absolutely nothing to damage my experience, or make it more expensive, so I love it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 11:28 Frosty_2.0

Reactor wrote on Jan 16, 2010, 09:53:
PS -I believe Stone Prisoner was initially cut for the original PC release date of Q1/Q2 because of pathing & character size issues then with the delay for console release and polishing they re-instated it as free DLC by re-editing the audio to fit around the updated dialogue then setting up the module to re-add to all the dialogue trees along with items etc..-

If that's all true, why deliver it through the normal DLC method with a cutoff date? (April 2010) instead of plain old patch? It seemed more like a DLC download tutorial to me than anything.
Because all the free/pre-order DLC serves to reward early adoptors & incentivise purchasing fresh copies of the game - once you redeem the codes on your account it's there for good, most fans purchasing within the first month anyway.

I don't recall an expiry on my rave cards except my retailer exclusive pre-order card but I would assume there will be a new SKU and/or promotion alongside the expansion's expected release, perhaps they'll change the conditions or offer some other content, they've already added The Edge (formerly a pre-order only item somewhere) to every BioWare DA account for people who purchased before Dec'09ish as another promo drive back in Nov.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 11:31.

28. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 10:30 The PC Warrior

the only overpowered dlc items came from the vendors so you bitches must have been cheating gold with the console in your game.  

27. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 09:53 Reactor

PS -I believe Stone Prisoner was initially cut for the original PC release date of Q1/Q2 because of pathing & character size issues then with the delay for console release and polishing they re-instated it as free DLC by re-editing the audio to fit around the updated dialogue then setting up the module to re-add to all the dialogue trees along with items etc..-

If that's all true, why deliver it through the normal DLC method with a cutoff date? (April 2010) instead of plain old patch? It seemed more like a DLC download tutorial to me than anything.

I thought all the DLC items were terribly overpowered, especially since you get most of them at the start of the game. I actually disabled them because of how unbalanced they were.

I wondered about that today, after just starting the game. I'm considering selling mine, but I'm worried I'll become too rich, too fast. Ah well, I guess this n00b could use the cash

26. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 05:21 Jerykk

I thought all the DLC items were terribly overpowered, especially since you get most of them at the start of the game. I actually disabled them because of how unbalanced they were.  

25. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 04:15 Icewind

When I bought the Collector's edition of Dragon Age, it came with every piece of DLC either already in it or available for free thanks to codes supplied within the package. A month later, CE owners were given a free dagger DLC (The Edge, a very sweet silverite dagger) for free as well.

I expect more of the same here. Finally, us rich bastards who collect game boxes get our deserved rewards.

24. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 01:47 Dr. D. Schreber

this is just the same as shale was with dragon age. new copies of the game will have access to it, used copies of the game wont. oh no the sky is falling.

Bring Down the Sky 2: Electric Boogaloo.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

23. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 00:49 The PC Warrior

this is just the same as shale was with dragon age. new copies of the game will have access to it, used copies of the game wont. oh no the sky is falling.

So now rumors are being substantiated by the sudden absence of verifiable proof? Since when did a non-working link become a smoking gun of some sort?

Watch jeryk and verno argue sometime.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 00:50.

22. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 16, 2010, 00:06 Frosty_2.0

PHJF wrote on Jan 15, 2010, 22:16:
Again there is a SEPARATE TEAM for Bioware (Derek French, Crushbug on these forums) that does DLC for Bioware games. They work on seperate content at the same time the main development team does.

That holds true for stuff like Warden's Keep, but it's patently obvious Stone Prisoner was not just some independently-developed addition to the core game.
Stone Prisoner was also free to anyone who bought the game new -along with other content- as this rumored DLC likely will be - probably attached to the "Cerberus Network card granting access to bonus content" in ME2's case;
Addressing rumors: BioWare will not be charging extra for any new Mass Effect 2 content on launch day. More DLC details next week.
(As quoted from BioWare's official Twitter and ME Forums)

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 00:08.

21. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 15, 2010, 23:59 Dr. D. Schreber

So now rumors are being substantiated by the sudden absence of verifiable proof? Since when did a non-working link become a smoking gun of some sort?

You haven't been on the Internet for very long, have you?

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

20. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 15, 2010, 23:22 VoodooV

In principle, I am against Day 1 DLC. It should be in the damned game and not separate if it's day one.

That said, I'll still probably get it. I got it for Dragon Age too.

Bioware makes solid games (though they all seem to have the same style and general overall story. c'mon Bioware, give us something different than Jedi, Spectres and Grey Wardens. It's all just variations on the same goddamned theme)

Bioware is the exception to the rule. Dragon Age and ME2 are the first full price games that I've bought since....probably ME1. Otherwise, I refuse to buy full price games anymore. I can wait for them to drop to sub-$20

19. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 15, 2010, 22:16 PHJF

Again there is a SEPARATE TEAM for Bioware (Derek French, Crushbug on these forums) that does DLC for Bioware games. They work on seperate content at the same time the main development team does.

That holds true for stuff like Warden's Keep, but it's patently obvious Stone Prisoner was not just some independently-developed addition to the core game.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 15, 2010, 22:04 Reactor

All I know is that day one DLC is a dumb idea that annoys people. Here's to hoping that one day idiotic business models will make way for development methods that treat customers with respect.  

17. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 15, 2010, 22:04 Sepharo

I think they're discussing day one DLC in general not necessarily just this specific instance of it.

Calm the hell down you Captain Obviouses.

16. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 15, 2010, 21:27 The Half Elf

Proudfoot wrote on Jan 15, 2010, 20:47:
I have to agree with Ray and Prophet;

When a company has 'extra' content ready to be bought within only days of a games release to store shelves, it just sounds like bad business.

Why wasn't this content in the release? Different dev group? Why was the game delayed... put the dev groups together! I too prefer the thick expansion boxes over the piddle from the internet releases.

-PF

And considering the Bioware Live team just finished DLC for Mass Effect 1 roughly 1 or 2 months ago, how hard would it be for their team to produce content for a game and engine they are already familiar with and have the same tools as the first game?

I swear to god this place is a conspiracy nuthouse anymore.

Blue maybe you should offer Blues News Tin foil hats.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 15, 2010, 21:23 The Half Elf

Ray and others, who is to say that the Day 1 DLC is done when the game goes gold and goes out to distribution?
At least for the PC and probably PS3, DLC doesn't have to pass Microsoft QA before being put on Live, and even if it does, Microsoft would be stupid not to fast track it so they could get it onto the marketplace as soon as possible.
That being said just cause the game went gold a month ago doesn't mean the DLC wasn't still being worked on, and therefore couldn't have shipped with the game.
If Dragon Age's DLC (Warden's Keep/Shale) were done why didn't they just throw them on the disc and have a 100k downloadable key to unlock them?

There is so much more that goes on besides what armchair/forum poster dev's like to believe is going on.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Rumored Mass Effect 2 Day One DLC Details Jan 15, 2010, 20:57 Dots

You guys are panicking for nothing, apparently it's a Shale-style DLC that's free to all people buying a new copy of the game. So yeah, at least wait for an official announcement before following up with "Bioware is screwing us over again!" stuff!

(I hate pay-for day one DLC myself though.)

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo