Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Console in PC Bad Company 2

A thread on the Electronic Arts UK Community Forums has reaction to news that there will be no console access in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel (thanks Joao). This was learned via a Tweet by DICE's Johan Andersson that said simply: "No console." Johan checks in at the end of the thread with a follow up explaining that this is to prevent hacking, and that the first Bad Company had no console either, but of course that was not released for the PC:

We have not removed a console from BC2. The simple reason is that BC1 and BC2 never have had an in-game console. Which also means that the game won't be possible to hack in this regard.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 14:40 Sepharo

Every PCMPFPS I've played for more than a month has been because of mods. It would be quite exhausting attempting to list even an abridged history typing on my Droid.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 14:34 Suddenly_Dead

DanL wrote on Jan 15, 2010, 10:01:
Been playing MW2 since launch, and really the reports of hackers are way out of proportion. Its not any worse than any game released since the days of quake. I look forward to BFBC2, mainly because my buddies are BF fans, but I always preferred the CoD series over BF. Something about the movement or combat or weapons that makes the BF series feel clumsy to me. I dunno. Anyway, people just hate MW2 because they need something to hate... No dedicated servers is not an issue, IWnet has been working great for me.

I still really like the game, but like I said, I seem to run across someone using a noticeable hack once a night or so (that's an average; some nights it's 0, some nights it's 2). That's more than I've hit in any other game. It's not hard to just quit the server and join another, though, and it doesn't wreck my enjoyment of the game. I've also been accused of hacking a couple of times, which is just beyond fun.

32. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 11:12 Elessar

Sepharo wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 22:37:
No mods and no privately owned server?

Okay we just dropped from a strong B+ to a D here.

I wish I could have some how gone longer not reading that.
I could care less about privately owned servers and mods. Just as long as the core game mechanics are good and I can return to a favorite clan or administrated server, I'm happy. Still an A+ as an anticipation grade for me.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

31. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 10:01 DanL

Been playing MW2 since launch, and really the reports of hackers are way out of proportion. Its not any worse than any game released since the days of quake. I look forward to BFBC2, mainly because my buddies are BF fans, but I always preferred the CoD series over BF. Something about the movement or combat or weapons that makes the BF series feel clumsy to me. I dunno. Anyway, people just hate MW2 because they need something to hate... No dedicated servers is not an issue, IWnet has been working great for me.  

30. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 09:36 Joss

Sepharo wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 22:37:

My thoughts exactly. Mod support is a big flashing signal for me whether or not I'm buying a game these days.

29. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 09:00 Verno

Amusing how every announcement about BC2 seems to make it less and less appealing.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

28. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 04:13 BobBob

The hole just keeps getting dug deeper and deeper.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 04:14.

27. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 03:27 Bilbo

I was ridiculed recently on Blues when I said this game was gonna be consolised, now look at it now haha! a PC FPS without a console, yea that'll be due to hacking of course it will, it isn't like it is consolisation or anything  

26. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 02:38 ASJD

B-B-B-B-But they said...  

25. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 02:07 Agent.X7

Blue wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 19:41:
SBlat wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 19:34:
Isn't this like saying you won't have config files and so the game won't be able to be hacked?

"the game won't be possible to hack in this regard"

It's a tautology: He's saying that by having no console, it will be impossible to hack the game via the console. Tough to argue with, but it doesn't mean the the game will be unhackable.

It's like saying "People don't have wings, so they are unable to fly, in that way." It's a meaningless attempt to put a positive spin on something that doesn't really need a spin at all.

Oh wait, I forgot all the doomsayers. NO CONSOLE?!?!! FUCK YOU< YOU HATE US PC GAMERZ!

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 02:10.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

24. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 01:35 KilrathiAce

Let's see...
not moddable game, no publicically available dedicated server files...no console which on pc nowdays is a must.... lol looks like battlefield days of being a good true pc fps are over. shame, oh well another one bites the dust.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

23. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 01:27 Overon

So whose left who can make a good first person shooter designed for the PC? Valve?  

22. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 00:00 SBlat

Blue wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 19:41:
SBlat wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 19:34:
Isn't this like saying you won't have config files and so the game won't be able to be hacked?

"the game won't be possible to hack in this regard"

It's a tautology: He's saying that by having no console, it will be impossible to hack the game via the console. Tough to argue with, but it doesn't mean the the game will be unhackable.

Opps, yes. What I actually meant to get at is: is a console really any more hackable than having a config file is anyway? If they've really had online cheating occurring due to changed config variables... whether through the console or not, maybe they shouldn't allow those variables to be configured in the first place?

21. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 23:09 Diabolus in Musica

SectorEffector wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 20:52:
They owe their beginnings to PC gamers in Call of Duty and Battlefield series and now they just fuck us. Fuck them.

Ditto. I can't believe how many of these huge companies started these franchises as pc experiments that allowed them to make the games they make today, and in return they fuck us, and start taking things away. Anyone play bf heroes? I spent hours trying to get into the beta, then to play for less than half an hour and decide. Fuck DICE.

You spent HOURS trying to get into the BF Heroes beta. Lol. You couldn't pay me to waste a minute on that POS.

20. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 22:37 Sepharo

No mods and no privately owned server?

19. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 21:08 SectorEffector

lol true dat, no console my fucking ass. Just when they export it to the XBOX360 dev kit they remove the console.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

18. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 20:55 Bludd

No developer console? Must be hard bug-test the game.  

17. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 20:52 SectorEffector

They owe their beginnings to PC gamers in Call of Duty and Battlefield series and now they just fuck us. Fuck them.

Ditto. I can't believe how many of these huge companies started these franchises as pc experiments that allowed them to make the games they make today, and in return they fuck us, and start taking things away. Anyone play bf heroes? I spent hours trying to get into the beta, then to play for less than half an hour and decide. Fuck DICE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

16. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 20:40 Diabolus in Musica

Surf wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 19:03:
Anything to keep this from being like Modern Warfare 2, the most hacked online FPS of all time! I'm down with it!

Fixed.

15. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 20:31 Overon

Don't forget that there will be no publicly released dedicated servers and that there won't be any released mod tools for bad company 2 as well:

"Mod Tools: There will not be mod tools for BFBC2. However a majority of the the games logic is controlled by the server and there will be Serverside control options for the dedicated servers.

Public Server Files: We will not distribute these publicly. There are many factors for why we have decided this with the biggest factor being security & integrity of our game & Dedicated Servers."
From http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/Default.aspx##

It's sounding more and more like a PC game every announcement. Fuck Infinity Ward and fuck DICE. They owe their beginnings to PC gamers in Call of Duty and Battlefield series and now they just fuck us. Fuck them.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo