Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

IGN - Why PC?
It's often perceived as a necessity on the console side to make a particular game as appealing as possible to every person who owns a console. The problem is that game publishers have let that thinking creep over into the PC market so now the development and marketing is driven by a need to make a single game that suits everyone. We see it all the time in the dreaded promise of all press releases that a game "will appeal to casual and hardcore players alike." (And if it's a licensed game, this is usually followed by the equally obnoxious claim that it will please both "fans and newcomers.") It's time to stop making such ridiculous claims, and more than that, to stop letting them be the sole consideration that determines how games are made and which ones get published, particularly on the PC.

The Escapist - Experienced Points: Now That You're Done Firing Everyone... Thanks Joker961.
So I thought I'd offer the games industry a little friendly advice as we head into the new year. Here are my suggestions for how to save money and make more money without needing to shed any more blood. A lot of this might seem to be aimed at EA, but really this advice applies equally well to all of the big players.

Videosgames - Games Journalism: What Not to Say. Thanks Morris.
I donít care if itís hard to explain why a mechanic works or doesnít work, or if itís taxing to think about why a game brings out a particular emotion. Saying ďItís hard to explainĒ is an admission of defeat. Jesus, as a games journalist you should feel a burning need to understand why a gun in a game feels good to shoot, or why a levelís atmosphere makes you feel lonely. You should be capable of disassembling design and figuring out how it works.

View
3. Re: Op Ed Jan 9, 2010, 13:38 Stormsinger

Funny, I would call that article "utterly clueless". The author doesn't appear to have the slightest idea what he's talking about. Reducing the emphasis on graphics doesn't save jobs (if it saves any money at all, it's by -shedding- jobs). Nor does buying another company have any relevance to firing people, unless those people were directly competing with the company you're buying (and not doing it very well).

Actually, it appears that his idea of what a business is for, is to provide jobs...a beautiful dream, but no more than that. In the real world, the purpose of a business is to make money...providing jobs is wholly incidental to that. This op-ed piece is more in line with Lennon's song "Imagine" than anything connected to the real world.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2010, 13:39.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 9, 12:32 Re: Op Ed Prez
  2. Jan 9, 13:17  Re: Op Ed Sepharo
  18. Jan 10, 13:02  Re: Op Ed Fion
>> 3. Jan 9, 13:38 Re: Op Ed Stormsinger
  4. Jan 9, 14:48  Re: Op Ed Prez
  10. Jan 9, 19:38   Re: Op Ed Stormsinger
  11. Jan 9, 20:09    Re: Op Ed Jerykk
  14. Jan 9, 21:33     Re: Op Ed Prez
  19. Jan 10, 15:25    Re: Op Ed Flatline
  13. Jan 9, 21:30   Re: Op Ed Beamer