Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's MMOFPS?

French site NoFrag offers a rumor (in the site's native French) on Blizzard's upcoming mystery MMOG, as 2010 continues its pace for a record number of game-related rumors. As interpreted by Google Translate, we see they are reporting the game will be an MMO first-person shooter set in a futuristic environment, attributing this information to "d'une source proche du dossier," which is the French equivalent of "a source familiar with the matter." They say the MMOFPS will have two components, one a social/lifestyle element like The Sims Online, with the other being where the combat takes place. Blizzard obviously has an existing IP that would match up with this idea, and it is also quite compatible with Blizzard's explanations that their unannounced MMOG is "significantly differentiated enough" from World of Warcraft.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 11, 2010, 05:59 J

Then how are they going to fund/sustain it?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 11, 2010, 04:39 Jerykk

A MMOFPS cannot be pawned off with bots, it has to be a lot of real people involved and if it's not good then that wont be sustained.

It also needs to be free to play. Monthly fees don't cut it for online shooters, MMO or not.

18. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 9, 2010, 02:13 Veterator

There was some talk of a Planetside 2, Planetside as it stands right now has very few people playing. In my opinion it's due to them introducing the BFRs and throwing off the little balance the game had that drove out the rest of the players. But that game had a lot of problems they never addressed, the lag only got worse because they wouldn't commit resources toward the game. And it might just have simply been because they didn't know how to fix it, so they tried to recoup the costs and do as little as possible to keep people paying. I mean that game was a while ago, I believe it was there when DSL was just beginning to show up in my area.

Global Agenda isn't really an MMO. You can participate in 12v12 rounds that might play toward a persistent world...but if anything it's more like WoW battlegrounds (much lower player count than most the bgs) attached to a single player game.

I guess if anyone can make a proper MMOFPS, Blizzard would be the ones to do it. I just hope they can allow for really large battles, and keep some "magical" feel to the game. Not necessarily fantasy based...but could be something like Vampire Masquerade where guns aren't necessarily the best way to kill. A little bit of mutant/superhuman/nanotech/magic/whatever...

Still Im sure someone else suspecting this is what Blizz is up to could come to market with one before Blizz announces theirs officially.

17. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 9, 2010, 02:06 Xirix

Slink wrote on Jan 8, 2010, 18:49:
The beta of Global Agenda is fun if you're into MMOFPS.
I'm not even sure if you can call it a Mmofps..but it's really good.

I'm hearing very mixed things about GA. What's the max player count in battles? Is it team-based or just all-out fragfests?

It's team-based. From what I know it's 10 vs 10 and on the Conquest maps it's 60 vs 60. But please google a little since I only started playing since yesterday. I never heard of this game before that.

16. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 20:59 J

Despite the saturation of MMO's in general, MMOFPS's are distinctively lacking. Planetside was the only one I ever played and back when it was strong I enjoyed it greatly. I have no idea how it is now and if it's worth subscribing to.

I don't know if there's any others that are better than Planetside. I certainly haven't heard of any. A MMOFPS cannot be pawned off with bots, it has to be a lot of real people involved and if it's not good then that wont be sustained.

I'd love to see a great MMOFPS. It's quite possibly the only type of game that I'm really hungry for. If someone can do it right then I'm sold.

15. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 19:09 Prez

It's MMO mania. Look how many news stories are about new MMO's. Boo! BAD! I hate MMO's. Give me a game with no monthly fee, and I'm there. (Please Guild Wars2, PLEASE!)  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 18:56 flechett3

Blizzard already has a MMOFPS. It's called WoW. You hit the 'home' key and you're in first person!  

13. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 18:49 wolve

XM-S wrote on Jan 8, 2010, 17:32:
Certainly someday they will replace WoW. But we all know that will be WoW 2, or some direct spin off. WoW is still top of its game and is poised to remain so for another couple of years at least.
WoW should easily be a huge money maker for another 5 years. Just look at other Blizzard games like Starcraft and Diablo 2 which still have strong player bases.

12. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 18:49 Slink

I'm hearing very mixed things about GA. What's the max player count in battles? Is it team-based or just all-out fragfests?

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2010, 18:49.

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

11. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 18:46 Xirix

10. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 18:34 ShadyPete

They probably wouldn't, but I doubt Blizzard wants WoW's player to go play something else anyways. This is more aimed at a different segment of the market, one that is currently NOT playing WoW

yup.. why spend a bunch of money on a new game that would end up eating the subs you have already. i haven't read the story nor do i put alot of credit in the sources but i'm thinking this game will be very different and i am hoping for the next Planetside. It would make sense to me, they have always taken other's work to the next level.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2010, 18:35.

9. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 17:51 Creston

space captain wrote on Jan 8, 2010, 15:36:
i cant imagine the massive legion of casual WoW people really jumping on a skill-based genre like FPS

They probably wouldn't, but I doubt Blizzard wants WoW's player to go play something else anyways. This is more aimed at a different segment of the market, one that is currently NOT playing WoW.

Or so I'd guess, anyways.

Creston

8. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 17:32 XM-S

It never ceases to amaze me how little business sense there is in Blues comments.

Blizzard will not make a new MMO that is aimed to compete directly with their largest successful product.

Duh.

They will be targeting a completely new demographic to find new success in parallel with their existing games.

Certainly someday they will replace WoW. But we all know that will be WoW 2, or some direct spin off. WoW is still top of its game and is poised to remain so for another couple of years at least.

The article makes a compelling observation, though its a bit of a stretch.

7. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 16:35 Kxmode

The game will be call FACTION.  

6. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 16:15 Trevellian

If it's not a Planetside style/scaled MMOFPS using Starcraft races/vehicles. Then I don't really care.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

5. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 15:52 space captain

Hellgate:London?

you say that as if that game wasnt a complete and utter failure

who knows.. maybe the asian crowd will carry it

all im saying is that i seriously doubt it will come anywhere close to being the same kind of success as WoW

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 15:51 Domgrief

space captain wrote on Jan 8, 2010, 15:36:
i cant imagine the massive legion of casual WoW people really jumping on a skill-based genre like FPS

It's hard for a gamer to juggle more than a couple of MMOs at once, so I would imagine that they're hoping to keep their WoW players right where they are, and instead try to extract money from the people who are starting to check out games like Quake Live or Battlefield Heroes.

3. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 15:48 Kosumo

Hellgate:London?

While FPS are mostly skilled base, I'm sure Blizzard could make a very friendly n00brific MMOFPS for the masses (in saying that, maybe they are looking to get monthly subs from some of the leigon of COunterstrike players who are already down with the FPS crowd.)

2. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 15:36 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Blizzard's MMOFPS? Jan 8, 2010, 15:28 Angry

Starcraft Ghost  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo