Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects

The Neill Blomkamp interview part three on the Los Angeles Times talks with the director about the prospects of a prequel to District 9, the sci-fi movie he directed. The conversation also touches on the idea of a District 9 video game, which he says he'd have input on, though any decision on whether this will happen is in the hands of producer Peter Jackson. Even though Blomkamp was set to direct a Halo movie, he starts by saying "I play a lot of video games. The idea of 'District 9' as a video game stresses me out a little bit because games based on movies rarely work. And movies based on games don't work -- I don't know what's up with that." After getting that out of the way, he goes on to say:

But anyway, "District 9" as a game would be fascinating. And I don't want to see it happen for any sort of corporate reason or profit thing. I used to be involved in computer graphics and I love virtual environments. That's why I like video games, really. And I think a virtual environment of the slums of Soweto is an appealing idea to me. The weapons are cool, too. I photographed the film in a way that isn't that different than video-game perspective in some parts. So a game would be interesting to me. There's nothing happening with it though.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 8, 2010, 07:21 Kevlar

Narf2029 wrote on Jan 7, 2010, 23:40:
Mike Hunt wrote on Jan 7, 2010, 23:01:
Political what?!? Man turns into prawn, gets fucked over by everyone, then gets revenge with an array of awesome guns and a mech suit.
All you need to know. That, and apparently if we ever stop being racist to our own species, we'll pass it on to someone else's.

Not quite all you need to know. Man uses gravity gun to shoot a goddamned pig through a tin shack.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 23:40 Narf2029

Mike Hunt wrote on Jan 7, 2010, 23:01:
Political what?!? Man turns into prawn, gets fucked over by everyone, then gets revenge with an array of awesome guns and a mech suit.
All you need to know. That, and apparently if we ever stop being racist to our own species, we'll pass it on to someone else's.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

13. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 23:01 Mike Hunt

12. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 21:24 theyarecomingforyou

D9 was a hugely overrated movie. Sure the graphics were very impressive at times, particularly considering it wasn't a high budget film, but the characters, plot and political themes were all one-dimensional and poorly realised. It had all the subtlety of a brick to the face, just like Heroes and Battlestar Galactica did when they tried to address the recent conflicts in the Middle East. Enlightening to people that don't follow politics but an insult to those that do.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

11. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 21:10 Kosumo

My pick for best sci-fi film in a long time. (To me, it has Braindead all over it)

Lord of the Rings had massive Tax incentevies. Was underwritten for lose by the tax payer. Which lead to the weird accounting, which lead to the law suit.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2010, 21:16.

10. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 20:12 bigspender

put me in a mech suit FTW!!!  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

9. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 17:59 Narf2029

I think the Germans closed that loophole though. That would be an excellent reason why we haven't heard of any new Uwe Boll projects, but he's probably made a shitload of money already so why should he care? I'm sure any recognizable actors and actresses he got knew the score too - "hey, come make a load of cash in my deliberately shitty film that everyone will forget about in 6 months!" It's a free paycheck, and I'm sure Boll was able to use some of their names to get more investors and their money.

edit: Come to think of it, it's like The Producers, except in real life and it worked.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2010, 18:01.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

8. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 16:47 Kxmode

eunichron wrote on Jan 7, 2010, 14:40:
Uwe Boll could learn a lot from Neil Blomkamp.

Uwe Boll doesn't make movies to be successes. In fact he doesn't want the film to be a success and banks on it by purposely making the worst movie he can so that it'll fail. He does this because the German Government allows wealthy citizens to write off losses. It's a legal loophole.

source
http://www.cinemablend.com/features/Uwe-Boll-Money-For-Nothing-209.html

other sources
http://www.google.com/search?q=uwe+boll+german+tax+law

7. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 16:16 Elf Shot The Food

District 9 was a really good movie.

I was surprised at how good the effects were too, seeing as how the film didn't have a really big budget.

6. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 16:08 JoeNapalm

No, I really don't think he could.

Not that I doubt the massive divergence in talent between the two...I am just highly skeptical of Boll's ability to make the same observation.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

5. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 14:40 eunichron

4. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 14:19 Joss

Yep! Total badassery from this film! Need more from Neil. I like his ethos.  

3. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 13:13 |RaptoR|

When I saw the Halo 3 short movies, I always thought that someone needed to give this guy a budget and a shot at a full film.

I saw District 9 not realizing it was done by him until googling the name after the credits and making the connection. Fucking excellent.

2. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 12:36 TangledThorns

All I can say is D9 was my favorite film of 2009!  

1. Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 12:13 Nighthawk

We need more people like this, want to make video games because they LOVE video games, look at the classics, the good games were made by those who love...and it shows.
Or at least thats how it seemed...

/we'll ignore daikatana
//not that I'm doubting that exists now, just less

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo