Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop Financials

GameStop Reports 2009 Holiday Sales Results in an unusual bit of financial reporting for a nine-week period. They say: "Total sales for the period were $2.86 billion, flat from prior year sales. New stores continue to perform very well while comparable store sales for the period decreased 8.6%." As a result they have lowered their fourth quarter 2009 guidance. Here's what seems to be the oddest quote in the announcement, as we can't figure out how price cuts cause sales declines: "Hardware sales declined 8% due to recent console price cuts and a decline in unit sales on a year-over-year basis."

View
6. Re: GameStop Financials Jan 7, 2010, 10:59 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2010, 10:39:
Growth is a pretty basic part of the equation with regards to profit and sales anyways. Let's say you have $10,000 to invest in a videogames company InBlack. Do you want to invest it in the company that is making money and showing signs of continuing to make more? Or do you want to invest it in the company that appears stagnant or worse?

Certainly you're correct in today's real world, but there's no reason why it -has- to be that way. Growth is not a requirement to make a profit, and profit is what makes money for actual investors. Growth is primarily important to market speculators, who make their money from stock prices. In other words, it's not a -real- value...it's just an illusion that props up the fictional value on the exchange (think the difference between gold-backed and fiat dollars).

Myself, I'd really rather find a company that had a steady and -sustainable- profit to invest in, rather than looking at the illusionary value of the stock market. But I'll admit that this is a philosophical stance, and probably not the one most likely to maximize my profit.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 7, 10:09 Re: GameStop Financials |RaptoR|
  3. Jan 7, 10:22  Re: GameStop Financials DG
  2. Jan 7, 10:15 Re: GameStop Financials Verno
  4. Jan 7, 10:28  Re: GameStop Financials InBlack
  11. Jan 7, 12:56   Re: GameStop Financials Ray Marden
  13. Jan 7, 13:32   Re: GameStop Financials Ruffiana
  5. Jan 7, 10:39 Re: GameStop Financials Verno
>> 6. Jan 7, 10:59  Re: GameStop Financials Stormsinger
  7. Jan 7, 10:59  Re: GameStop Financials InBlack
  8. Jan 7, 11:09 Re: GameStop Financials Verno