Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gaikai's Millions

Online cloud-based gaming startup Gaikai has raised $5 million in funding, reports VentureBeat, citing a Securities and Exchange Commission filing. They say: "The company declined to comment on the filing, which does not identify investors. But one of the company’s directors is Mitch Lasky, a partner at Benchmark Capital." Gaikai is headed by Shiny Entertainment founder Dave Perry, and is one of several services looking be on the cutting edge of a theoretical cloud-based gaming future.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Gaikai's Millions Jan 7, 2010, 05:01 Shadowcat

Will people please stop using the term "cloud-based"? Not only does it sound stupid, but it's completely meaningless. Your system is not based on clouds of any kind, damn it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Gaikai's Millions Jan 7, 2010, 04:57 winnetou

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2010, 21:04:
Renting those servers and the bandwith needed is NOT CHEAP. 5 million isn't going to get them anything but the most rudimentary infrastructure, which means people will try it, think it sucks, and quit.

True, it probably isn't.
My assumption was that it only had to last them through their beta phase while they don't have paying customers. That could get people (and investors) interested enough to raise more funding and start live services in that same region.

As for whether it sucks, we'll see once the beta starts.

3. Re: Gaikai's Millions Jan 6, 2010, 21:04 Creston

winnetou wrote on Jan 6, 2010, 17:44:
Based on the OnLive presentation, I'd guess that for both of these companies, renting servers is probably preferable to buying them.

Right, but even then, renting servers isn't exactly cheap, especially not for the kind of things they want to be doing with them.

And since they're going to need multiple data centers, they're going to need to rent those servers in quite a few places. At least if they want their service to be available in a large area. (which in itself doesn't have to be the case, they could easily make money just setting this stuff up in NY, LA, Chicago, London and Paris. But then continuously bleating about how you're the "future of gaming" seems rather presumptuous.)

Renting those servers and the bandwith needed is NOT CHEAP. 5 million isn't going to get them anything but the most rudimentary infrastructure, which means people will try it, think it sucks, and quit.

Which is actually by far my preferred resolution, so: Game On, Gaikai!

Creston

Creston

2. Re: Gaikai's Millions Jan 6, 2010, 17:44 winnetou

Based on the OnLive presentation, I'd guess that for both of these companies, renting servers is probably preferable to buying them.

Gaikai are currently accepting beta signups for Europe (initially) and I haven't heard of any planned beta launch dates. With 5 million in funds, that should allow them to get their equipment ready in a few well-connected areas.

Edit: Just noticed I signed up about 2.5 months ago, no response so far.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2010, 17:47.

1. Re: Gaikai's Millions Jan 6, 2010, 16:47 Creston

5 million bucks? What does that buy? Ten clusters in ten different data centers, and a 28K baud modem for bandwith?

Creston

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo