Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: On Sale Jan 4, 2010, 09:12 Verno

Man the Steam sale is almost over and it's been crazy, I have like three years worth of gaming to do now  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 19:02 Nameless Again

Also, with Civ, I think it's important that you know that you can turn an in game real world clock on (so you know its 3 in the morning!) and also set a timer/alarm to go off (at 7.30 so you can have a shower before going to work! )

Oh yeah, had read about that previously and then saw it in the options. At first I thought it was a little presumptuous to put that in....
Until last night when I played for 7 straight hours. At one point, I got into a scrap with a barbarian settlement that I kept underestimating how good their tech/upgrades were. Every unit I sent up there would make a dent but not enough to take over the city. That just made me more determined, so I started creating wave after wave of military and actually had a worker build a road up to the border so they'd get up there faster. Pissed me off.

So far I've beaten it on conquest and land grab (?). At least I'm not rated as Dan Quayle this last time around.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2010, 19:05.

16. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 18:21 Prez

Nah, Killing Floor isn't THAT bad. It isn't worth 20 bucks, but at $5 it is a good buy. The graphics are fine; it's the art direction and overall scheme that is bland and a bit amateurish. But the gameplay is good.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 18:09 Zadig

I thought the Steam sales were quite good. Ended up getting a lot of games that I had missed entirely (Braid, GTA4) or partially (Civ4 complete, Sam & Max complete). I've also given up on trying to find my old cds when I want to play something and added some games for convenience (Morrowind Game of the Year, BF2).

I was hoping for a sale on Oblivion GOTY and Vampire the Masquerade, so I could gift it to friends, but overall I'm happy.

14. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 18:07 xXBatmanXx

Is Killing Floor any good...anyone?

As good as L4D? Better?

Game is crap.
Looks like crap - imagine HL1 with mods.
Plays like crap.

There are some DoD Source servers doing PC vs NPC zombie stuff now. Tons of fun.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 17:56 RCH

Thank you for your opinion, I'm going to give it a try.

At 5 bucks, how wrong can one go?

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

12. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 17:21 Narf2029

Killing Floor is different. Round-based and focused on staying alive until everything is dead, vs L4D's staying alive until you reach a certain area. I think it's fun myself, but fun in a different way than L4D. Being able to weld doors shut is a nice touch, as well as having a greater variety of weapons and class-type bonuses which make certain weapons better in certain hands, but anyone can use whatever they find or buy.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

11. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 17:19 Kosumo

Nameless, stop with the Civ4 and go stright to BTS!

Also, with Civ, I think it's important that you know that you can turn an in game real world clock on (so you know its 3 in the morning!) and also set a timer/alarm to go off (at 7.30 so you can have a shower before going to work! )

10. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 17:11 RCH

Is Killing Floor any good...anyone?

As good as L4D? Better?

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

9. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 17:04 Jerykk

I was actually hoping that MW2 would have been on sale today...

Hah, yeah right. MW2 has consistently been in the top 6 sellers on Steam, at full price ($60). Activision has no reason whatsoever to put it on sale if people continuing buying it at full price.

8. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 17:03 Nameless Again

These Steam sales are pissin' me off. I bought a few games on sale, then over the course of a few days the games were on sale even cheaper in the 24hr sale. WTF! Almost seems criminal.

xxBatmanxx said it first: wait to see what's offered on the 24-hour sales before you take the plunge. And that was way back on the 23rd I think. Good advice; thx Bat.

Well, I picked up GTA4, Torchlight, Mass Effect, and my newest addiction, Civ4. Holy shit, how do you stuff that much into a game?? I haven't even tried BTS yet, and apparently it's even better.

7. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 16:36 HoSpanky

Boo for steam's "encore" sale. This should have been one last blowout before they shut down the sale, not a retread of the shit that sold the best.
Yes, I'm just sore they didn't have Dawn of War 2 for $10. Picked it up at the current $20 price. They kept dropping already-discounted games even further, and several THQ titles so I thought it was a sure thing it'd be super cheap for one day.

Also picked up Dirt 2 for $32, priciest sale item I bought but oh so awesome. All in all I think steam milked right around $100 out of me during the sale.

Honestly the sale basically cemented digital distribution as my priority for game purchasing. Now all we need is more developers to start incorporating steam cloud into their games. Words can't describe how nice it is to format your rig, drop a new OS on it, set up steam to download all the games you want, then log into torchlight and have it pick up where I left off without fiddling with randomly-placed save files.

6. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 16:20 jimnms

I was hoping to see a better sale on L4D2. I think I missed the first couple of days of the sale, so if there was one earlier, I missed out. Wasn't L4D2 on sale for $29.99 during Thanksgiving at Amazon or some place? I should have got in on it then, but I hoped there would be another sale on it after the holidays.

I've been operating on my netbook for the past several weeks now. I started upgrading my desktop, but had some other stuff come up and haven't finished with it. I did manage to pick up Clear Sky for $5, so I have one new game to try when I motivated to finish setting the new system.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 16:20 nin

Instead it's just a repeat. What an appropriate way to end their lackluster holiday event this year.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 16:04 Elf Shot The Food

Unless the daily deals were 75% off or more, I didn't touch them.

I didn't even consider games that were discounted at only 50% or less since they have a tendency to go down in price again.

3. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 15:57 FLY

These Steam sales are pissin' me off. I bought a few games on sale, then over the course of a few days the games were on sale even cheaper in the 24hr sale. WTF! Almost seems criminal.

How about some prior notice, VALVE! You are ticking people off bigtime.

2. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 14:04 Elf Shot The Food

For anyone who might have missed it last week (like me), Steam has Torchlight on again for $5.  

1. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 14:02 Jeraxle

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo