Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Protoss "Mini-Campaign"

A post to the Battle.net Forums reveal that StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty will include a Protoss mini-campaign in addition to the main Terran campaign in the RTS sequel (thanks Big Download). Blizzard is holding back on details, but have this to say for the time being:

I won't go into details, since we don't give out information on the campaign of StarCraft 2, but I can confirm that there will be a Protoss mini-campaign that lets you control Protoss units. This part of the campaign mode is of course way shorter than the Terran part, but it is very fun to have a very different playstyle to add even more variety to the game. I am sure every Protoss fan will love this part of the Campaign!

That being said, the Protoss mini-campaign will not prepare you for the multiplayer as Protoss, you won't be using all units or getting to know buildings and upgrades. In general, even for Terran, it is not the objective of the singleplayer to show how to play the game effectively, it is to tell a story and do a lot of fun things, that would not be possible in multiplayer. The Challenges, mini-missions, that ask you to complete a very specific task, are more suited to give players the opportunity to learn how to use the units and how to play the game.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

22. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 17:16 RollinThundr

Yifes wrote on Jan 2, 2010, 17:01:
Its true because some blizard dev tells you so? lol

It's wrong because you know better? What did Blizzard do to you in the past? Lie to you about beating your mother? There was actually no candy in that van outside of Blizzcon?

Its been 10 years since SC1 was released. They no longer have Blizzard North so I would imagine all the various "teams" are under one roof at this point.

Yeah, your imagination is the land of fail it seems since it's well documented that the teams are separate. Guess what? The team that makes L4D at Valve are not the same people who make Portal and TF2 either. What do you think the Starcraft team did after Starcraft? Yeah, Warcraft 3.

It should not take 5+ years for EVERY SINGLE PROJECT they put out (which alone screams out poor management), hense why SC2's graphics look circa 2005. Much like Diablo 2's features at release (640x480 max res and all) were behind every other title at the time, expect the same here.

Yeah stop playing Blizzard games because the graphics don't look like Crysis. Seriously stop.

I mean hell its worked for Blizzard so far, great CGI, shitty outdated gameplay.

Right. Blizzard's shitty gameplay is what makes Starcraft the most popular competitive multiplayer RTS in the history of gaming. Good thinking there buddy.

It seems like talking to you is useless because what you "imagine" and reality are two different things.

Please no one said they needed Crysis level graphics, though at least something current would be nice for once out of a blizzard game.
D2 sucked, War3 sucked, SC was great for its time but I'm not sure I want to play SC1 with slightly better graphics and pay 50 x 3 for the whole single player.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 17:01 Yifes

It's wrong because you know better? What did Blizzard do to you in the past? Lie to you about beating your mother? There was actually no candy in that van outside of Blizzcon?

Its been 10 years since SC1 was released. They no longer have Blizzard North so I would imagine all the various "teams" are under one roof at this point.

Yeah, your imagination is the land of fail it seems since it's well documented that the teams are separate. Guess what? The team that makes L4D at Valve are not the same people who make Portal and TF2 either. What do you think the Starcraft team did after Starcraft? Yeah, Warcraft 3.

It should not take 5+ years for EVERY SINGLE PROJECT they put out (which alone screams out poor management), hense why SC2's graphics look circa 2005. Much like Diablo 2's features at release (640x480 max res and all) were behind every other title at the time, expect the same here.

Yeah stop playing Blizzard games because the graphics don't look like Crysis. Seriously stop.

I mean hell its worked for Blizzard so far, great CGI, shitty outdated gameplay.

Right. Blizzard's shitty gameplay is what makes Starcraft the most popular competitive multiplayer RTS in the history of gaming. Good thinking there buddy.

It seems like talking to you is useless because what you "imagine" and reality are two different things.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 17:07.

20. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:54 Yifes

While I found Dawn of War 2 to be a great game, it was not as good as Starcraft for pacing, story, and it's ability to keep things fresh through varied styles.

That's because DoW2 removed an entire aspect of RTS gaming: the base building. Traditional RTS games have unit missions, unit + base building missions, and defense missions. The limited scope of DoW2, along with the endless rehash of generic missions in the campaign mode made the game repetitive and eventually boring.

It will be interesting to see what kind of story telling innovation Blizzard comes up with this time around. The mission briefings and in game cutscenes in the original starcraft were pathetic at best. Personally I'm looking forward to the custom maps that will be available. The editor and engine looks powerful and promising.

19. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:53 Roachmojo

You're are a disgusting piece of shit that represents everything wrong with PC gaming fans.

QFT

18. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:50 RollinThundr

Yifes wrote on Jan 2, 2010, 16:27:
The question is, is that even true? Blizzard are the masters of over hyping and under delivering. I would highly doubt that one races single player campaign is more than the entire first game. Its really less so entitlement and more so not wanting to pay full price 3 times on a cash grab to further fund Blizzards inability to manage projects properly thus taking 10 years between non mmo expansions.

Yes it is true about the length of the SCII:WoL campaign being on par or longer than all 3 single player campaigns of Starcraft 1. Why don't you learn about what is happening before you make wild accusations.

And no, it's not 10 years because the Starcraft team makes all the RTSes, and their last game was Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne. Seriously dude, do you even know what you're talking about?

It should not take 5+ years for EVERY SINGLE PROJECT they put out (which alone screams out poor management), hense why SC2's graphics look circa 2005. Much like Diablo 2's features at release (640x480 max res and all) were behind every other title at the time, expect the same here. But hey the typical blizard sheep will just watch some flashy CGI that has nothing to do with the game or its tech and proclaim it the best RTS ever! I mean hell its worked for Blizzard so far, great CGI, shitty outdated gameplay.

Except in this case you can pay for it full price 3 times YAY!

17. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:40 Prez

Yet despite having only one race per game, Dawn of War II certainly kept interesting. And all the missions they've shown off for Starcraft II so far look much more interesting than anything in the original Starcraft.

Maybe to you. While I found Dawn of War 2 to be a great game, it was not as good as Starcraft for pacing, story, and it's ability to keep things fresh through varied styles.

Starcraft's missions were all so cookie-cutter, that it needed the story behind the 3 races to keep interesting. Why do you automatically assume that Blizzard won't be able to handle making an interesting game with just one race?

I don't automatically assume anything. Which is why I said "My concern is..." I do agree about this being much ado about nothing, as the game is probably not going to release this year whatever Blizzard says.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:35 elefunk

My biggest concern since the announcement of 3 separate campaigns has always been that one of the major charms of the original is how brilliantly the original interwove the 3 races' stories and deftly kept things constantly fresh at the same time. With just one race per release, that is lost. I personally think it's a big mistake, but we'll see. Some time before the apocalypse I hope, given Blizzard's track record for game releases.
Yet despite having only one race per game, Dawn of War II certainly kept interesting. And all the missions they've shown off for Starcraft II so far look much more interesting than anything in the original Starcraft.

Starcraft's missions were all so cookie-cutter, that it needed the story behind the 3 races to keep interesting. Why do you automatically assume that Blizzard won't be able to handle making an interesting game with just one race?

Besides, you guys remember that you're replying to a comments thread about a news article, right? A news article which, *gasp* explains one of the ways they'll keep it interesting and varied throughout - including mini-campaigns for the other races inside of the main campaign. Who's to say they won't be doing other stuff like this too?

For all the accolades Blizzard gets for making amazing, long-lasting, and timeless games, you people certainly don't give them the slightest benefit of the doubt that they'll succeed in different circumstances.

15. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:31 Prez

My biggest concern since the announcement of 3 separate campaigns has always been that one of the major charms of the original, how brilliantly the original interwove the 3 races' stories and deftly kept things constantly fresh at the same time, is lost with this change. With just one race per release, it changes a huge part of the Starcraft formula. I personally think it's a big mistake, but we'll see. Some time before the apocalypse I hope, given Blizzard's track record for game releases.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 16:33.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:30 elefunk

And if you honestly believe that, I've a bridge to sell you real cheap. Personally I don't support piracy period, so I'm right with you on that part of your post. But seeing this whole situation for anything other than the cash grab it is by Activision is nieve at best.
What is so complicated about this? Why do I need to stretch to believe this? Blizzard has never made a game I've been disappointed in, why the hell would I assume that to be the case right now?

What "other situation"??

There's no fucking situation here. Blizzard said they're doing something. What they say they're doing sounds fucking awesome - 3 completely awesome, separate, entirely unique, entirely substantial games.

If they're awesome, great, I'll buy them.

If they suck and it's a cash grab, whooptie-doo, I won't buy them. I certainly won't pirate them and waste my time playing them either.

"I'll buy the first and pirate the other two" says one thing, and one thing alone - "I'm a jaded piece of shit, I'm entitled to play everything, I'm entitled to pay absolutely nothing despite the game's possible quality. I don't care how good these games are in the end, I just know that they're not doing exactly what I want them to do, so fuck them and I'll steal their shit just to prove a baseless point to them"

So much meaningless controversy. Did Blizzard kill your dog or something? Why must such rash decisions be made years ahead of time when you still know absolutely nothing about the games outside of what Blizzard has said so far?

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 16:31.

13. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:27 Yifes

The question is, is that even true? Blizzard are the masters of over hyping and under delivering. I would highly doubt that one races single player campaign is more than the entire first game. Its really less so entitlement and more so not wanting to pay full price 3 times on a cash grab to further fund Blizzards inability to manage projects properly thus taking 10 years between non mmo expansions.

Yes it is true about the length of the SCII:WoL campaign being on par or longer than all 3 single player campaigns of Starcraft 1. Why don't you learn about what is happening before you make wild accusations.

And no, it's not 10 years because the Starcraft team makes all the RTSes, and their last game was Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne. Seriously dude, do you even know what you're talking about?

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 16:29.

12. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:23 Yifes

And if you honestly believe that, I've a bridge to sell you real cheap. Personally I don't support piracy period, so I'm right with you on that part of your post. But seeing this whole situation for anything other than the cash grab it is by Activision is nieve at best.

Retarded. What, the expansion for Dawn of War 2 featuring Chaos is also a mad cash grab because Chaos should have been in the game in the first place?

11. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:22 Yifes

It has nothing to do with race equality but everything to do with milking the franchise and charging the fans three times for essentially one product.

Not to mention the fact that, even though they have split the title up into three separate entities, they continue to delay and take their sweet time with it after so many years. Although Blizzard is known for taking time with their products, to what end will we have to experience to full campaign?

Ridiculous. No they did not "Split up" the title into 3 separate entities. That's like saying they split the original Starcraft 1 into 2 games, vanilla and Brood War to tell the full story. They just changed the format and order in which they present the story and all the idiots out there just can't get over the idea that since the first starcraft had 3 races in the campaign, SCII must have 3 races also.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 16:36.

10. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:20 RollinThundr

LMN8R wrote on Jan 2, 2010, 16:10:
Blizzard is making 3 complete single-player games. What don't you understand about that? Dawn of War II had a single campaign for a single race. It was a fucking phenomenal game. Same goes for tons of other RTSs, both in the last couple years, and from more than a decade ago.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Blizzard is promising to release three complete campaigns. Every single campaign will be far more varied, far more interesting, and far more entertaining than all of the original Starcraft put together.

If, when the games come out, they prove to be disappointing - then don't fucking buy them. Don't fucking pirate them.

9. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 16:10 elefunk

Sounds like they're still planning on releasing the same game in 3 parts and charging full price each time. I think I'll buy it once and pirate it the next two times. In fact, no one should buy this game more than once, it will only encourage their bullshit.
You're are a disgusting piece of shit that represents everything wrong with PC gaming fans.

Blizzard is making 3 complete single-player games. What don't you understand about that? Dawn of War II had a single campaign for a single race. It was a fucking phenomenal game. Same goes for tons of other RTSs, both in the last couple years, and from more than a decade ago.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Blizzard is promising to release three complete campaigns. Every single campaign will be far more varied, far more interesting, and far more entertaining than all of the original Starcraft put together.

If, when the games come out, they prove to be disappointing - then don't fucking buy them. Don't fucking pirate them.

By pirating the game, you are inherently giving value to it by saying "this is worth spending my time to play it". If you genuinely think it's a rip-off, if you genuinely think it's not worth the money, then man up, put your tiny ballsack where your mouth is, and don't play it. It's a waste of time, right? It's a rip-off, right? Then why are you wasting the time to pirate it in order to play it?

By deciding now, "I'll buy one and pirate the two others", that says nothing but "I'm a completely entitled asshole who thinks I deserve to play everything, but not actually pay for it, and I simply don't give a shit if the products they release are actually worth the price they're charging or not".

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 16:13.

8. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 15:44 RollinThundr

Yifes wrote on Jan 2, 2010, 14:59:
All this "Episodic gaming for regular prices each time" crap makes me glad I've never cared about this series. Need to get around to reinstalling DoW2...

That's hilariously ironic since DoW2 single player, just like SCII:WoL, has only the space marines campaign. Are we still stuck on this moronic notion that, despite the fact that SCII:WoL will have more single player content than all 3 campaigns of Starcraft 1 combined, Blizzard is still ripping off the community since every race is not represented equally? The stupidity and self entitlement of the internet never ceases to amaze me.

7. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 15:41 Sempai

entr0py wrote on Jan 2, 2010, 14:26:
Sounds like they're still planning on releasing the same game in 3 parts and charging full price each time. I think I'll buy it once and pirate it the next two times. In fact, no one should buy this game more than once, it will only encourage their bullshit.

QFT.

Now..again why hasnt this game been released yet?..

6. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 15:32 Wallshadows

It has nothing to do with race equality but everything to do with milking the franchise and charging the fans three times for essentially one product.

Not to mention the fact that, even though they have split the title up into three separate entities, they continue to delay and take their sweet time with it after so many years. Although Blizzard is known for taking time with their products, to what end will we have to experience to full campaign?

Those who are angry with this decision have every right to be and recognize the direction Blizzard has taken.

Blizzard has been shamelessly employing hyper-inflated micro (macro) transactions in World of Warcraft, the high possibility of micro transactions in Diablo III, and three separate releases for Star Craft.

Why? Because they can and they know consumers will pay for it and to them it justifies the route they are taking.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 15:36.

5. Re: StarCraft II Protoss Jan 2, 2010, 14:59 Yifes

All this "Episodic gaming for regular prices each time" crap makes me glad I've never cared about this series. Need to get around to reinstalling DoW2...

That's hilariously ironic since DoW2 single player, just like SCII:WoL, has only the space marines campaign. Are we still stuck on this moronic notion that, despite the fact that SCII:WoL will have more single player content than all 3 campaigns of Starcraft 1 combined, Blizzard is still ripping off the community since every race is not represented equally? The stupidity and self entitlement of the internet never ceases to amaze me.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2010, 15:17.

4. Re: StarCraft II Protoss "Mini-Campaign" Jan 2, 2010, 14:40 Dr. D. Schreber

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

3. Re: StarCraft II Protoss "Mini-Campaign" Jan 2, 2010, 14:26 entr0py

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo