Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TF2 Bots Beta

An update to the Team Fortress 2 Blog has word on back-end fixes underway: "We've got one more update to go out to our backend item system. After that, we'll be granting all the missing items that weren't granted properly when you finished achievements." In a far more substantial update, they announce that you can beta test the current incarnation of Team Fortress 2 bots that Valve is cooking up for the multiplayer shooter. They outline how you can test the bots in King of the Hill on koth_viaduct, koth_sawmill, and koth_nucleus, ad explain what to expect from your AI playmates:

TFBots are "players", and take up player slots. They run the exact same code that human players do, moving and firing weapons by pressing "virtual buttons". The bots have simulated humanlike senses, and only know what they see, hear, and touch. They also have realistic reaction times and aiming limitations. They don't "cheat" or use omniscient knowledge of the server state to make their decisions.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 23, 2009, 01:21 Grokk

I clocked up many an hour in my own custom maps with Reaper bots in Q1.

Q2 was all about the tourney maps and Gladiator bots.

I loaded up Q2 the other week and went 1v1 with a bot that I designed to be competitive with myself some 10 years ago. I got owned two ways from breakfast for the entire 45 minutes I spent playing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 15:49 MattyC

I think bots overall are a good thing, but I agree that admins dumping them in servers to inflate the player count sucks. Valve games, in particular, with bots are always evil imo. I swear the Steam server browser just lies to me about bots. Any time I try to get in a DoD or CS server it is bots. And 3/4 of the time they aren't even playing bots... just the fill up player slots with names bots. The browser filters seem to do nothing.

I hate admins who add bots like that. Almost as bad as the people who add 50mb of crappy sound files (though at least the don't download that junk option now works better than the old don't download console command did).

20. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 15:30 Prez

Awesome. I love having the option to play with bots for the reasons already mentioned here. I played UT online like twice. For the other some-odd hundred hours, I've played with bots exclusively.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 15:26 |RaptoR|

I loved the reaper bot, it was the first fun bot released for Quake... but my heart is with the CTFBots. Oh the memories  

18. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 15:13 ThatOtherGuy

This must be frustrating for the mod community who has been wanting valve to fix the bot interface in the sdk since tf2 was released so they could develop their own.
Doubly so for Dr Evil who has been sitting on his bot for about a year and a half when he actually worked with someone at valve to get the bot interface fixed, but valve never released the fix.

17. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 14:10 MrBone

The best bots for Quake will always be the Omnibot. They put the Reaper's to shame. Anyway, looking forward to playing around with these TF2 guys. Good call Valve.  

16. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 14:08 Elessar

I don't know that I made my comment about my aversion to bots clear (or they were misunderstood).

If you want to play locally w/ bots, great. To each their own. I get why you'd want to. My complaint comes in when they take the place of vacant slots on an online server. Where you end up with half players and half bots. To me, that takes away from the competitiveness, the real psychological interaction you have with other online players. I just believe there is no place for bots online. It's silly.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 14:09.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

15. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 13:53 nin

Well that's pretty easy. Some people (like myself) just don't really enjoy playing with real people (or at least strangers) for a multitude of reasons. Some people don't like the taunts and immaturity they may encounter online, and others don't enjoy public servers because their skill level (or lack thereof) simply makes it no fun to play. Bots give you a consistent experience that can be tailored to your skill level without having your race, sexual orientation, or the promiscuity of your mother called into question.

Could not have said it better. Thank you.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 13:19 DG

I don't get how people enjoy the idea of bots in an online game. It creates such a fake/empty experience it defeats the purpose of online play. I suppose running your own local server and inserting bots is alright, but as soon as they enter the online realm I'm out. This is what made UT so fake and generic to me.
Bots are very useful for a bit of training and an introduction to MP - I only started playing MP after eventually getting bored of ReaperBots.

Online, bots can fill up the servers. This is of course often not a good thing, enabling bots isn't a decision any server admin would take lightly. But, for example, on the big 32-player fast-respawn servers I often find if a server gets restarted it doesn't repopulate until the next day - people join, ask why the server is so empty then leave after 5 mins because they want a busy server. Even if bots just extend the wait to 10 mins the server is much more likely to repopulate with real people.

Similarily quite a few people seem to be in the habit of quitting a server when it becomes apparent their team is going to lose. This then spirals because by quitting, the team is even more likely to lose and people more likely to quit. Bots can stem the tide somewhat. IMHO bots should also have a small amount of rubber banding, slightly upping their skillz if their team is getting owned (i.e. encouraging the possibility of breaking out of a spawn rape, an event that results in a lot of quitting).

Bots may also allow being less strict with the team-balancing. Many servers will move a player to the other team (much to the annoyance of that player) if one team is just 2 players less for just a few minutes. With bots filling in the difference is less significant so you can relax the swap to say 3 player difference for a longer period of time.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 13:22.

13. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 13:13 SirKnight

And it's too bad I'm just now finding out about RCBot's TF2 support. Arg! :/  

12. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 13:12 SirKnight

OMG FINALLY! Bots!

With my sub-par net connection, this is the only way (other than playing at work, lol) I can play TF2.

11. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 12:46 StreetPreacher

I don't get how people enjoy the idea of bots in an online game.
Well that's pretty easy. Some people (like myself) just don't really enjoy playing with real people (or at least strangers) for a multitude of reasons. Some people don't like the taunts and immaturity they may encounter online, and others don't enjoy public servers because their skill level (or lack thereof) simply makes it no fun to play. Bots give you a consistent experience that can be tailored to your skill level without having your race, sexual orientation, or the promiscuity of your mother called into question.

I haven't played a pub game since Tribes. To each their own.

10. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 12:37 ForgedReality

ReaperBot FTW!

I fuckin loved those things in Quake.

But yeah, you can play with the bots on other maps. You can run a console command to set the bots up to scan the map to find pathways and whatnot, but the maps won't be set up properly for some classes like the engineer or sniper.

9. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 11:57 Elessar

I don't get how people enjoy the idea of bots in an online game. It creates such a fake/empty experience it defeats the purpose of online play. I suppose running your own local server and inserting bots is alright, but as soon as they enter the online realm I'm out. This is what made UT so fake and generic to me.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

8. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 11:42 Rhett

Considering there was almost NO support for bots, at all (see: RCbot from scratch) these new bots are quite awesome. Also, they're pretty realistic. They do miss, they do airblast rockets occaisionally, and they build teleporters. Snipers move, miss, and can also nail amazing headshots.

RCBot was pretty cool considering it was from scratch, but the bots are very autonomous and obvious.

I can't wait to see the next update for bots (As well as get my Scottish Resistance that I never got from achievements :().

Tip: You do NOT have to nav_generate on every map, try different maps with bots first. They usually have waypoints already.

7. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 11:42 PHJF

WOOO, they finally gave me my bugle!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 10:51 InBlack

ReaperBot FTW!  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 10:36 Hyatus

They were supposed to be in there from launch, but I guess better late than never.  

4. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 10:34 Zyrxil

If there were no limits, bots would have instantaneous reactions to everything, including stuff happening behind them/out of sight, and would never miss with hitscan weapons.  

3. Re: TF2 Bots Beta Dec 22, 2009, 10:25 InBlack

TFBots are "players", and take up player slots. They run the exact same code that human players do, moving and firing weapons by pressing "virtual buttons". The bots have simulated humanlike senses, and only know what they see, hear, and touch. They also have realistic reaction times and aiming limitations. They don't "cheat" or use omniscient knowledge of the server state to make their decisions.

What the hell does that mean? Most good TF players I know have insane reaction times and even crazier aiming skillz...

I have a nifty blue line!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo