Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced

Codemasters announces new Overwatch DLC for Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, saying this new content is now available for the Xbox 360 edition of the military first-person shooter. The Windows and PlayStation 3 editions are on the way, with the PC version planned as a free download. Here are three screenshots, here's a new gameplay trailer, and here's a bit from the announcement outlining what's new:

The ‘Overwatch’ DLC extends the unique Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising experience in solo, co-operative and adversarial play. In new multiplayer mode Blindside the PLA must complete objectives in the shortest time possible while the USMC defends in tense, tactical engagements. An additional new mode, Supremacy, tasks opposing forces to occupy strategically vital positions featuring force multipliers like gun emplacements and air strikes.

These new multiplayer modes are complimented by two exhilarating new FTEs. In Friendly Skies, PLA anti-aircraft artillery prevents US airborne reinforcements inserting into the combat zone. Players must remove that threat and then defend the position from a PLA counter attack. In Hostile Takeover, intel reveals enemy movement in the village of Armudan, a perfect base for launching attacks deep into enemy territory. Gamers must flush out the PLA, establish a perimeter and hold their ground against a new enemy assault.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 22, 2009, 14:01 Donkey_Punch

Drayth you were wrong about many things including that Arma 1 is a stable product. Over 3 years later and the game still crashes and is filled with bugs. The BIS forums reflect the complaints but most people have given up on Arma 1 just like BIS has.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 22, 2009, 01:46 tuddies

haha - beat the clock gamemode! i hope they get their act together and make a sequel to this console shooter that really challenges ArmA2!

15. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 19:56 Drayth

Seeing as I've mainly seen you attack anyone who even mildly suggests that they enjoy ArmA (OMG FANBOYZ) I figured you didn't even play it more then a few hours.

ArmA I was released in a horrible state, especially if you grabbed it before it hit the US publishers, but it's been stable for quite a while now. I played it to death about a year back, I had like one crash and I suspect it was my system.

ArmA II had it's bugs, but those where stamped out pretty quickly. Still shouldn't have been initially released in the state it was, but I remember reading that was something to do with a German publisher.

Some of the big mods have already hit, like ACE 2. I haven't had any problems with running it.

If bugs and crashes where widespread this place would definitely be vocal about it, so I don't think I'm part of the lucky few.

14. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 19:19 Donkey_Punch

Slippery_Jim hates ArmA,

You are completely wrong but keep thinking so if it helps you deal with your BIS/Arma fanboyism.

I absolutely LOVE the design behind Arma. It is the sort of open world military cooperative shooter that I love to play. This sort of gameplay is what really gets me excited about PC gaming.

While I praise the design and gameplay of Arma I have to say BIS completely fails technically. The game is horrendous on the technical side and although it gives some nice screenshots if you actually sit down and play the game it is so filled with glitches and bugs that you want to rip the disk out and smash it.

Yes I have played Arma for endless hours (and still do on occasion) but I am so tired of having to endure the endless bugs and crashes.

Every time I fired up Arma I wished another company had coded the game.

13. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 18:05 Drayth

Slippery_Jim hates ArmA, so he's here trying to find some new angle to slam it. Despite that this is a discussion thread about OF:DR which compared to ArmA in terms of gameplay,features and depth is shallow no matter how you slice it. You don't even have to like ArmA to agree to that.

12. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 17:40 DangerDog

Disclosure time: how many of the people that already commented slamming DR have NEVER made an addon or mission or utility for Arma?

What does that have to do with DR sucking?

At least BiS made it possible to have all those add-ons and missions for both the original Flashpoint and ArmA, the so called 'mod' support that Codemasters provided is next to zero.

It's too bad that BiS isn't a larger studio with more money to spend, it would have been nice to have improved sounds in ArmA II, but again the community has made add-ons to help fix things. A little more polish and tuning would have helped but ArmA II is still a better game/simulation than DR will ever be.

11. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 17:02 Donkey_Punch

Disclosure time: how many of the people that already commented slamming DR have NEVER made an addon or mission or utility for Arma?

I smell OpFlash1/Arma/BIS fanboys

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2009, 17:05.

10. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 16:57 Shataan

THE slickest thing about FP DR was their dev team marketing vids. Man oh man they had everyone duped by all the "we got this, we got that .... DR is THE most realistic yadda yadda yadda".

Of course, then there are the realities. ;p

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2009, 16:57.

9. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 15:31 Techie714 ©

I have to agree about the sound in DR. It was by far the BEST sounds I have ever experienced in a military shooter.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 14:45 Drayth

About the only thing I love about the game is the sound, they seemed to go to great lengths in that department. And talk about rushed... ten missions?? At least on the PC side we can create more... though I don't feel very compelled to play it right now.

BTW last time I checked their forums a team had dedicated servers up and running. They where beta'ing it still, but the servers where stable from the reports I read.

7. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 14:27 SirKnight

Probably spent too much development time creating the streaming island technology, especially getting it to work on consoles. The game content felt rushed to get it out the door.

The problem is that the island is really boring with no variety in scenery.

Exactly. The game does indeed feel like it was rushed and is no where near complete. To me the game feels more like a beta if anything.

I find DR's game world to be more bland and boring than Far Cry 2, which has a pretty empty environment itself.

6. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 14:26 SirKnight

It is true that Arma kicks DR's ass. There's VERY few things I like better about DR. I had hopes for a long time it would be the other way around.

I thought the graphics would have been better but in DR it's really brown and bland. It just looks plain bad. The Battlefield BC engine does a MUCH better job. Even though I have many issues w/ Arma 2's graphics, it still beats DR to pieces.

The overall gameplay and interactivity in Arma 2 blows away DR. Like the graphics, the gameplay in DR is bland.

This game was a HUGE disappointment and no DLC/patch can fix it. It takes a whole re-write. Thus, OFP3.

However, at least DR is not an on-a-rail script fest like CoD. Even with all the faults, I'd still play DR over any CoD without a doubt.'

Unfortunately, we will not have the true mil-sim/Arma killer we want unless the game is made for the PC primarily. But, making it primarily for the consoles, like DR was, we get typical console kiddie crap.

Also, the DR devs always said this is the most realistic this and that for the console and the console never had this kind of real experience before. That's bull. I guess they forgot about Operation Flashpoint Elite for the Xbox. Elite shows you can make a realistic mil-sim on the console that wasn't gimped beyond belief. I'd also say OFP: Elite is better and more realistic than DR. Even with Elite's less than PC quality graphics and HORRIBLE voice acting. The PC version's voice acting, while not worthy of awards, was A LOT better.

5. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 14:21 DangerDog

Probably spent too much development time creating the streaming island technology, especially getting it to work on consoles. The game content felt rushed to get it out the door.

The problem is that the island is really boring with no variety in scenery.

If you remember back when they made presentations about the game when it was first announced, it all sounded too good to be true and it was.

4. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 14:19 Wildone

It had crappy view distances & low quality textures so Im not sure what makes it anything special, it felt dated to me.  

3. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 14:04 Joss

They almost had a chance in the beginning to dethrone ArmA and take their players, but... we all know the story... it's a tragedy.

This engine HAS great potential! That's what sucks about this whole mess.

2. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 12:54 Wildone

Agreed, DR was abysmal, low quality trash. I had more fun with 'Frontlines: Fuel Of War' than this, and thats saying something..!!  

1. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - Overwatch Announced Dec 21, 2009, 12:30 Techie714 ©

No thanks, Codemasters had an amazing opportunity to really capitalize on the realism & open world military games, but the failed. I'll stick with ARMA...  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo