Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

On Game Credits

A new article on Kotaku examines the issue of developer credits in video games, a hot topic a year ago when the issue was raised by an un-credited developer on the Warhammer Online team, which was followed up a few times after that. In the year since this came up not much has changed, they discuss crediting failures in Operation Flashpoint 2 and how the IGDA has been kicking around standards for game crediting for a couple of years now, but nothing has come of that yet. They also explore how credits are sometimes used in lieu of pay raises: "Just as common as a studio's failure to assign credit is the use of game crediting as leverage a way to get more work out of developers for less pay, or to force a designer with a particular specialty to stay on a project when there's another one at his studio on which he'd rather work. The fact that in most cases, credits aren't agreed on until a project's end means there's plenty of room for bargaining and bullying."

View
3. Re: On Game Credits Dec 17, 2009, 17:25 DG

I didn't get any pay rise this year.

Bastards still decided to increase my chargeout rate 5% (meaning I have to be 5% quicker to meet time budgets, despite them having added more work to do for quality reasons).

I was about OK with the no-rise thing but then increasing my chargeout anyway has really annoyed me.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 17:26.

Previous Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 17, 13:23 Re: On Game Credits DG
  2. Dec 17, 14:04  Re: On Game Credits Prez
>> 3. Dec 17, 17:25   Re: On Game Credits DG

footer

Blue's News logo