Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Singer Returns To -X-Men- Franchise (thanks nin). That's good news, though the whole prequel thing is not so appealing (I wonder if they'll wear the yellow and blue spandex outfits?). At least they haven't gotten to the reboot stage yet.

Well-Fed Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Empire Builder - Ancient Egypt.
Eruption.
Link: Let's Say Thanks. Send postcards to overseas troops through Xerox. Thanks Wolfen.
Stories: Car Crash Injury Leaves Woman Constantly Craving Sex. Thanks theAntiELVIS.
'Star Wars' stormtrooper costumes not artistic, says court.
Science: NASA maps Mercury, plans for 2011 orbit extravaganza.
Scientists crack 'entire genetic code' of cancer. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Apple - Movie Trailers - Iron Man 2. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Alice in Wonderland Full-Length Trailer. Thanks Digg.
Hand Written Clock. Thanks nin.
The Funnies: Abstruse Goose » Truecolor. Thanks Digg.
Follow-up: Chernobyl Exclusion Zone Radioactive Longer Than Expected. Thanks j.c.f.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2009, 18:35 Lit_Reflex001

Narf, I'd like to tell you about the antivirus product I use.

It's called Nod32 and is made by a company called ESET.

It is the best product available hands down. There is a correct choice.

I recommend that you use Nod32 and consider trying their Smart Security firewall/malware (virus,spam,etc) solution.

I'm unfamiliar with the Firewall, but it directly integrates into the TCP stack and seems to route all data through itself before any other code gets its hands on things.

Just try to reset your TCP stack through NETSH. It will fail.

It also has IDS properties. Read on to see why I trusted them, initially, blindly for a firewall.

Nod32 (the AV component) wins a VB100% award every time (the competitors have a few under their belts perhaps).

The VB100 award is given out to companies whose AV product can successfully detect, disinfect, and avoid false positives on 100% of their selected samples and, I think, focuses on "in-the-wild" viruses that don't have any virus signatures yet.

The engine's ability to identify unknown threats is apparently unmatched.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 19:25.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2009, 11:28 Kxmode

P.S. I was being succinct because I busy at work and started typing and stuff came up and had to finish quick.

Rest assured, if I had more time earlier I would of told you how much I hated you and think your opinion is poopie!

Was that directed towards me?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2009, 03:30 rocketpcguy

i don't like amazon's attitude with the kindle. the DRM is so deep, and ended up with problems like:
http://www.geardiary.com/2009/06/19/kindles-drm-rears-its-ugly-head-and-it-is-ugly/
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

what's the point of such control, when the kindle books are pirated & converted everyday on warez sites? it's only hurting people who spend money to rent these books, not the ones who get the whole thing for free.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 22:11 Enahs

P.S. I was being succinct because I busy at work and started typing and stuff came up and had to finish quick.

Rest assured, if I had more time earlier I would of told you how much I hated you and think your opinion is poopie!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 21:42 Wolfen

Hey! Thanks for posting that Blue (and or crew). Much appreciated and Im sure our gaming troops out there will appreciate it as well.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 18:04 Narf2029

I do use Firefox, for the record. The redirection has only happened when trying to read comments here at Blue's News, nowhere else. I'm at a loss as to any cause, and I can't think of any other virus and malware scanners to try after having used so many heh. Only reputable ones, of course. I have HouseCall pounding away at it now, the last thing I could think of, but it's so damn slow it could be tomorrow before it's done.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 18:55.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 17:14  Blue 

While posting in Legal Briefs just now, I was once again redirected to another save-your-system website (this time SysDefence - Online Protection) which my antivirus blocked as an infected website. I've been doing malware and virus scans like crazy since the last time this happened so I'm all but 100% sure it's not being caused by something on my end. I suppose this website could be a false positive but I doubt it - websites like that are total scams anyway, they just try to infect your computer and then sell you something to fix it.

Can you tell me your geographic location? Feel free to use email if you don't want to disclose that publicly. Thanks.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 17:14 Kxmode

That's a good point Enahs.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 17:07 Enahs

No, the point is the Kindle has only been out for 2 years. There was just as much issues in the early days of personal digital audio players when online music sales hit the main stream.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 17:11.

- W. C. Fields

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 17:04 Kxmode

Those are the three most popular and used digital music stores, and each uses a different format.

Want to try again?

I think the point he was trying to make was that the music formats can generally be converted easily and without corruption. Unlike the various text formats that some can't be converted at all, or if they can be converted, often produce various errors in the copy.

My girlfriend has found the same problem when trying to get digital versions of books for her Sony eReader.

iTunes also uses mp3, can read and play back MP3's that were not purchased on iTunes. I'm not familiar with, nor will ever use Amazon's music service, so I can't comment on what they use...do they even have their own proprietary music player? But at least most players will play wmv, mp3 or acc. Unlike the ebook readers, which are very picky about what they can and cannot read.

Exactly. Music files are much more interoperable compared to book formats, and not without the effort I put forth to put one copy of the book I bought on my Kindle. At least with music you have many options to play your music.

Amazon sells normal MP3s that will play in any music player.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 17:12.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 16:59 Prez

Found this while doing a quick search...

http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?view=main&id=comicbookadaptation.htm

I am surprised Spiderman 3 is so high. That was a huge disappointment for me, especially after how brilliant an adaptation Spidey 2 was.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 16:40 ForgedReality

While posting in Legal Briefs just now, I was once again redirected to another save-your-system website (this time SysDefence - Online Protection) which my antivirus blocked as an infected website. I've been doing malware and virus scans like crazy since the last time this happened so I'm all but 100% sure it's not being caused by something on my end. I suppose this website could be a false positive but I doubt it - websites like that are total scams anyway, they just try to infect your computer and then sell you something to fix it.

Why people still don't use Firefox, I'll never figure out.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 16:01 Krovven

Yea if your computer is infected with Spyware, it's not necessarily the website you are visiting that is causing the popups.

Alas, I haven't had any problems with Firefox + Adblock Plus. When the site was still on UGO I would get adware popups on my iphone when browsing the site (even just clicking on Comment links), soon as UGO disappeared, so did the popups.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 15:55 Creston

Haven't seen anything like that pop up on my end, so it's not on Blue's site, I would assume...

Creston

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 15:52 Creston

Singer Returns To -X-Men- Franchise. That's good news, though the whole prequel thing is not so appealing

I might be the only person who enjoyed X-men Origins: Wolverine. There was a fluid motion in the way they told the story.

I honestly didn't think it was that bad. It wasn't as good as the first X-Men movie (or the second, the third one was pretty crap), but I enjoyed it. It could have used a better plot than the stupid quadrupple-cross one that it had.

/joins kxmode in the corner. Dunce

As for Singer going back to X-men, that's good, but this prequel shit is getting so boring. Stop writing stories that fuck up everything for a sequel, and then you don't have to resort to stupid prequels in order to make another movie. How fucking hard is this?

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 15:44 Narf2029

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 15:48.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 15:30 nin

iTunes use ACC.
Amazon Music uses MP3.
Napster uses primarily WMV.

Those are the three most popular and used digital music stores, and each uses a different format.

Want to try again?

But some players won't play ACC. And some won't play WMA.

So not only do you have to look at what formats the player can read, but you have to find out which store features the artists you like in the format you want. And heaven forbid you switch players later...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 15:14 Krovven

Want to try again?

I think the point he was trying to make was that the music formats can generally be converted easily and without corruption. Unlike the various text formats that some can't be converted at all, or if they can be converted, often produce various errors in the copy.

My girlfriend has found the same problem when trying to get digital versions of books for her Sony eReader.

iTunes also uses mp3, can read and play back MP3's that were not purchased on iTunes. I'm not familiar with, nor will ever use Amazon's music service, so I can't comment on what they use...do they even have their own proprietary music player? But at least most players will play wmv, mp3 or acc. Unlike the ebook readers, which are very picky about what they can and cannot read.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 15:20.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 15:00 Enahs

Imagine, for a moment, if there were multiple music file formats instead of the universally accepted MP3? I don't think iTunes, Amazon Music, and many other e-music business would be as popular as they are today.

iTunes use ACC.
Amazon Music uses MP3.
Napster uses primarily WMV.

Want to try again?

- W. C. Fields

9. Re: 'Star Wars' stormtrooper costumes not artistic, says court. Dec 17, 2009, 14:32 DangerDog

In the decision yesterday, a judicial panel ruled that the helmet and armor of the Stormtrooper costumes had a "utilitarian," rather than an artistic, purpose, so "neither the armour nor the helmet are sculpture."

The UK can start issuing the armour out to their police force now.

I'm glad for Andrew Ainsworth if for no other reason than he's shown what complete crap Lucas has pushed off in terms of "authentic" replica/collectible Star Wars memorabilia over the years. Ainsworth's products look like top quality.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo