Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Announced

Valve announces The Passing, the first DLC for Left 4 Dead 2, which will bring the survivors from the original Left 4 Dead into the zombie shooter sequel for new single-player, multiplayer, and co-operative gameplay, saying the add-on will "include new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge mode and introduce a new co-operative challenge mode of play." Here's a bit on the add-on, which is currently expected in Spring 2010. "The Passing will become the most important campaign in the Left 4 Dead story, as all the Survivors are being called together in one campaign," says Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. "It will also be a huge offering of new gameplay content, with something new for every game mode plus a new uncommon common and weaponry." Word is:

Targeted for release in early spring, "The Passing" takes place just after the Dead Center campaign of L4D2. Set in a small town in rural Georgia, players assume the role of the L4D2 Survivors as they meet with the L4D1 characters.

In addition to the new co-operative campaign and associated narrative, "The Passing" will include new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge mode and introduce a new co-operative challenge mode of play. The Passing will also include a new "uncommon common" zombie class, melee weapon, and firearm.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Announced Jan 14, 2010, 23:17 Sepharo

wise fwum yo gwave

It's weird finally using the News Forum link.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Jan 14, 2010, 21:11 SectorEffector

Skoll wrote on Dec 14, 2009, 17:34:
8 player coop or bust!

Done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

24. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 18, 2009, 02:07 xXBatmanXx

Bill + Coach.

Best Coach line, when stuck in the room for respawn of character..."Help, get me out of here. I am to big for this little room!"

Love it.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

23. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 20:10 Prez

True enough, but this means the models and at least some of the speech will now be in the L4D2 code, hopefully making it easier for modders to add them to addon campaigns.

I am really excited to see what the community can do with the SDK. L4D had some incredible maps that easily rivaled the Valve ones.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 19:31 Dalus

"players assume the role of the L4D2 Survivors as they meet with the L4D1 characters."

Sounds like the original survivors aren't playable in the new campaign, but are just going to be NPCs. I can't help but wonder if they're going to half-ass it, such as make the original survivors playable only in Survival mode, or in a way that likewise doesn't involve them having to get all the voice actors back to the studio to record all the dialogue they'd need for the abundance of new social interactions that having eight interchangeable characters would require.

21. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 17:34 Skoll

8 player coop or bust!  

20. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:37 bcanceldirt

They really need to bring the L4D maps up to date and playable in L4D2 gameplay/items/infected, etc. Offer them free to owners of L4D or charge $5-$10 as standalone DLC.

Valve definitely needs to do something to integrate the first game with the sequel. As it stands, having to divide their DLC efforts between the two games is going to be nothing but detrimental to the lifespan of both games (not that I can really see them continuing to release more content for L4D). I would love to see the original four fully worked into future DLC for L4D2, but it seems like it would be a massive amount of work to incorporate the dialogue and interactions between eight survivors.

19. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:30 Krovven

Once the SDK comes out the asset problem shouldnt be a problem. They have already said any mods for L4D will work in L4D2, just needs a recompile with the new SDK...which is in closed beta right now.

Obviously we havent got all the info on this announced DLC, so who knows, maybe they are doing up the original maps for use with L4D2. Hopefully.

18. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:21 necrosis

Large amount of the problems relating to L4D maps in L4D2 is the lack of assets (textures, items, sounds, crap like that) that are in L4d and not L4D2.

Granted there are other issues but that is the main one.

17. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:17 loomy

this better be free for steam users who own both games

that way they will fulfill their promise to not screw left 4 dead 1 owners

16. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:11 Prez

They really need to bring the L4D maps up to date and playable in L4D2 gameplay/items/infected, etc. Offer them free to owners of L4D or charge $5-$10 as standalone DLC.

Amen to that. I have a huge collection of L4D maps made by the community that I would love to be able to play in the new engine as well. It would be great if there was some interoperability between the 2.

Being able to play 'Dead City' and 'Cold Fear' in L4D2 would be incredibly awesome.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:10 necrosis

If they are charging PC users make it free if you have L4D1 and if not $10 for the addon and you get L4D1 along with it.  

14. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:09 Verno

That's a great idea Dagok, I agree.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

13. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:07 Krovven

Hopefully this will mean the old characters will become playable in the L4D2 campaigns.

12. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:05 necrosis

Bill + Coach.

Zombies better learn how to run (away) faster.

11. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:04 Prez

Suck on that all you assholes who say Valve doesn't support L4D or listen to the community.

Narrow minded idiot. Nothing new there.

Set in a small town in rural Georgia, players assume the role of the L4D2 Survivors as they meet with the L4D1 characters.

Cool. Hopefully the original 4 will be playable in the new engine. The new characters don't have near the charm of the old ones.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 16:06.

- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 16:01 Verno

Suck on that all you assholes who say Valve doesn't support L4D or listen to the community.

You're exceptionally good at only hearing what you want to, this is exactly what people wanted with L4D1. DLC, not a sequel. Smart move by Valve.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

9. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 15:54 nin

Why? Do you think this is going to work with the original L4D?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 15:44 Caveman

7. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Add-on Dec 14, 2009, 15:36 Kosumo

I'm hoping for a lawn mower as new melee weapon (as seen in Peter Jacksons Braindead (maybe called Dead Alive in America)) have you seen how many zombies they mowed down with it?  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo