Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 15, 2009, 03:18 Prez

I disagree respectfully here.

I have no problem with that. I wasn't trying to infer that consoles have no inherent benefits over PC; rather just making the point that the cost benefit of consoles is sometimes exaggerated.

As far as not liking Steam, I love it for the most part. There are some issues I have with it (not the least of which is that it's still DRM, no matter how you look at it), but it offers some really good value-added benefits in my opinion to offset it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Game Reviews Dec 15, 2009, 01:01 BobBob

Flatline,

You're view-point seems to be all or nothing.

If you want to be entertained then variety is essential to avoid boredom -- a good sex life, outdoor activity, fun board games, decent video games, etc.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2009, 01:02.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 15, 2009, 00:33 Flatline

If you’re using PC hardware, then there’s little need to develop a separate console. All you really gain with a console over a PC is easy setup, a different controller and the knowledge that any game will run without issues. I know a few PC gamers who’ve switched over to consoles because they got fed up with the costs of upgrading, which is fair enough – but let’s not forget that an Xbox 360 wireless adaptor costs £60!

BRAVO! This author is on the ball. For about the same the price as 2 wireless controllers, you can buy a very capable video card from ATI. ( http://www.pricewatch.com/video_cards/ ). For considerably less than the price of a new PS3, you can buy a very good quad cpu/ crossfire motherboard combo that will have you gaming at higher resolutions than the PS3 could give you. There are quite a few ancillary expenditures with console gaming that get missed when discussing the price benefits of consoles.

I disagree respectfully here. You *do* get something playing on a console that you don't get on a PC.

A larger software library. More AAA titles. Access to entire genres of games that don't exist on the PC in any meaningful way (JRPGs spring to mind, not that I like them at all).

I'll be honest. I have a nice desktop, and I have played 3 games this year on it. I played a little WoW for a month or two and then quit, I played Dawn of War 2 to death, and I'm playing Dragon Age.

I've played somewhere between 30 and 50 xbox games. Why? Convenience, sitting on the couch is better than sitting in the computer room. I don't have to go out and reasearch the f*ck out of review after review after review to make sure I'm getting the most performance for my money like I do on the PC. I also have access to a lot more games that just aren't getting made on the PC these days, even including all the crappy ports.

I'm sick of Steam. The other day, I started up my PC to play some Dragon Age, and it took me literally 20 minutes to get into the game. First, I had to connect to steam before I could play my game, which then wanted to update. It updated, and rebooted. Then it wanted to download the DA patch. Which was cool. I was expecting that. It downloaded, froze, had to be restarted, corrupted the download from the freeze, and had to be started all over again. Then it had to be applied. Then for some reason Steam announced it needed to restart. So I restarted, and FINALLY got into the game.

I know I can streamline some of this if I dig into steam, but you know what? I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. I picked up DA for the PC because of the tactical POV gameplay and the added difficulty. Otherwise, I would have gotten it for the xbox and been done with it.

I work with computers for a living. I've been gaming and working on computers as a hobby for 20 years now. I'm tired of dicking around with computers to make them work. I play more board games with friends now because for 60 bucks I can buy a board game that will give us hundreds of hours of gameplay for 6 people, or I can buy one copy of a video game that might have split screen on the xbox. The entire genre of video gaming is growing stale and bloated, and I don't think the indy devs can revitalize it.

13. Re: Game Reviews Dec 15, 2009, 00:25 BobBob

Wii Sports Resorts with the motion plus controller is quite amazing.  

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2009, 19:47 ASJD

Console gaming dying? What a joke.

Console gaming isn't dying, it's growing exponentially, as opposed to PC gaming which is shrinking rapidly. That's the truth. People will bring up stuff like online sales and such, it's just excuse-making.

Take your head out of the sand. Stop lying to yourself. I can't believe some people still say 'PC gaming will never die'. EVERYTHING DIES. NOTHING LASTS FOREVER. Are you fucking nuts? Consoles have been around far longer than PC gaming, unless people consider all computer gaming to be 'PC' gaming, in which case playing a Wii game must be PC gaming!

On the other hand, gaming as a whole isn't in great shape. Consoles are losing console makers (except Nintendo) money. Games more often lose money than make it. Game development simply costs too much, and including marketing, many games barely can be seen as a business 'success' at all.

The developers going out of business... Many games take thousands of developers and multiple international corporations to develop...

To the concept of browser gaming or cloud computing like OnLive. That stuff is still a long ways off in terms of true commercial feasibility. 20+ years.

Still, one day PC gaming AND console gaming will be 'dead' to anyone who remembers what they used to be. Things change, it is inevitable.

Right now, however, consoles are dominating the gaming industry unlike any point in gaming history.

11. Re: Game Reviews Dec 14, 2009, 16:06 Verno

The only consoles worth getting are Wii and DS. All the others are just retarded computers.

As opposed to a glorified Nintendo Gamecube with a terrible motion controller implementation?

Well we'll never fucking know, will we, because these stupid fucking "top 10 on random delivery service" posts day in and day out never bother to include anything amounting to meaningful data.

Hear hear, I get so tired of those lists because they are 100% useless without figures. Top place could be 5 copies or 5,000,000, who the fuck knows?

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

10. Re: Game Reviews Dec 14, 2009, 16:00 Evil Timmy

Some excellent points there, Prez, and I agree with pretty much everything. Seeing as the majority of the industry can't figure out what to do with even the console market, getting clear data out of the fractured PC market is impossible, much less interpreting it to draw correct conclusions. MMOs bring in a ton of revenue, but often to the exclusion of other games. "Casual" games are now on every platform on Earth and take in revenue via subscriptions, direct purchase, advertising, microtransactions, through portals, with sponsorships, and probably a half dozen other ways, and cover the spectrum from games a three-year-old could play to something like Kongregate's meta-card-game and achievement system.

On top of that, I suspect most serious PC gamers are like myself, buying >90% of my games from Steam or Impulse because the DRM is less onerous (especially with a gaming laptop) and the advantages of the platform, not to mention the prices, more than make up for it. I bought Left 4 Dead 2 for $30 from Dell (and all the disc does is makes the initial install faster), and before that...I can't even remember the last game I bought boxed. Doom 3, maybe, 'cause I got the cacodemon statuette for pre-ordering? Hell, that may have been the catalyst for never buying games from a retail store right there.

If consoles are in trouble for any reason, it's that you can get a reasonable gaming PC and plug it into your HDTV, and have it play all your games, as well as being an HTPC and general purpose box, for around $600. Tuck it away and all you need is power, HDMI, networking, and a receiver for your wireless KB/M and you're set. I'm seeing this setup in more and more non-techie living rooms, and it'll only get more commonplace as things get faster, cheaper, and slicker.

Edit: The one thing that PC games are missing is better multi-input support (sofa mode), which is stupidly missing from even console ports, despite the PC having the extra memory to handle this with ease, and it's one clear and decisive advantage consoles retain. I've got a 360 controller with USB receiver for my PC, and so far I've found one game that'll happily play along with multiple 360 controllers: Lego Indiana Jones. The rest either won't do splitscreen at all (MP or nothing), or occasionally will but won't support more than one of the same controller.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 16:04.

9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 14, 2009, 15:18 PHJF

It's probably safe to assume that digital distribution is less than the number of box sales,

Well we'll never fucking know, will we, because these stupid fucking "top 10 on random delivery service" posts day in and day out never bother to include anything amounting to meaningful data.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Game Reviews Dec 14, 2009, 13:44 BobBob

The only consoles worth getting are Wii and DS. All the others are just retarded computers.  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2009, 13:05 eunichron

The above discussion encapsulates the self-fulfilling prophecy of death that is keeping PC gaming on it's supposed deathbed. Misinformation is hurting PC gaming here far more than piracy ever did in my opinion. Both Steam and Direct 2 Drive show MW2 as a consistent top seller, if not THE top seller from week to week. This unnaccounted for revenue data is ignored when numbers like 54% (Xbox) 39% (PS3) and 7%(PC) are shown.
But how popular is digital content delivery? It's probably safe to assume that digital distribution is less than the number of box sales, which would still put MW2 PC sales at less than 10% of the total, and Xbox 360 and PS3 sales still massively outnumbering it.

I agree, there are a lot more factors to the decline of PC sales than just piracy, but I don't think adding in digital distribution sales will help the numbers any.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2009, 12:52 Prez

Is console gaming dying? In a word, 'NO'. But sensationalist headlines aside, the article does touch on several cogent ancillary points.

For example, Modern Warfare 2 is currently the number 1 overall game. As a first person shooter that’s mainly sold on its multiplayer capabilities, you might think that the PC would be leading the pack, but in fact the opposite is true. Last week, the Xbox 360 version accounted for 54 percent of recorded sales, while the PS3 accounted for 39 percent.

The rest of the sales are shared between the PC and the handheld versions, with the PC only accounting for 5 percent of the game’s retail sales, despite the fact that it’s currently at number 2 in the PC games chart. A similar story appears with Need for Speed: Shift, with the PC making up just 2 percent of retail sales. So, no – console gaming is not dying. It’s just too successful.

Of course, these statistics are warped by the fact that they’re only based on retail data, and many PC gamers choose to download their games from services such as Steam and Direct2Drive. However, it does show that console gaming is still absolutely huge when it comes to UK retail sales.

The above discussion encapsulates the self-fulfilling prophecy of death that is keeping PC gaming on it's supposed deathbed. Misinformation is hurting PC gaming here far more than piracy ever did in my opinion. Both Steam and Direct 2 Drive show MW2 as a consistent top seller, if not THE top seller from week to week. This unaccounted for revenue data is ignored when numbers like 54% (Xbox) 39% (PS3) and 7%(PC) are shown. Moreover MW2 is a very bad example to use in gauging PC health in general because of the infamy associated with IW's screwing of PC gamers on the PC release. Likely many PC gamers deliberately refrained from buying it when they otherwise would have because of how badly IW handled the PC release.

Either way, with more controls on how media is used and distributed it’s clear that console gaming is in a stronger position than the PC when it comes to piracy – though that doesn’t necessarily mean the platforms are more profitable.

This is a great point. One that is so often lost in the interminable piracy debate. This is what I believe devs and publishers SHOULD be paying attention to. I am not saying that they aren't, but publicly all they seem to want to talk about are "them filthy pirates".

The over-reliance on sequels is another problem for the console business. The vast majority of the games in the PS3 and Xbox 360 charts have a number after their name. Publishers are relying on stalwart franchises such as Tekken and Need for Speed to pull in the money, which leaves little room for independent developers and new game ideas, particularly when game development costs are so high, and when investors aren’t prepared to take risks in a recession

While true, this discussion largely ignores that the situation is virtually the same on the PC, due in no small part to the number of console ports that make up the modern PC game library. In that regard, this is basically a wash. Hell, data proves time and time again that sequels sell great, very often out-pacing the original in sales. Companies would be foolish to ignore this. For all of the moaning I constantly here about the lack of originality by gamers and the press alike, someone is buying these games in droves.

This isn’t so much of a problem for the PC, where independent developers can easily create a game without having to agree to platform licensing deals or conform to a console’s usability requirements and there’s a large choice of download stores too. What’s more, the PC also gives you an easy route into browser-based Flash games and even social media games such as Farmville, which cater to that all-important casual market and are becoming an increasingly important part of the industry. I’d even wager that far more of my non-hardcore gamer mates are now playing Farmville than Wii Sports.

This argument always makes me cringe. I don't mean to sound elitist, but I don't consider people playing "Farmville" for a thousand hours a month to be "PC gamers". It is arbitrarily and bogusly inflating numbers. We need to be honest with ourselves. If this is all that we can rely on for positive spin, then PC gaming is in big trouble.

Console manufacturers no longer develop their own graphics hardware, but instead rely on PC hardware manufacturers such as Nvidia and ATI to do the job. There’s very little to separate a console from a PC in terms of hardware now, and this is massively different from the days when the SNES had a completely different architecture to a 386 PC.

If you’re using PC hardware, then there’s little need to develop a separate console. All you really gain with a console over a PC is easy setup, a different controller and the knowledge that any game will run without issues. I know a few PC gamers who’ve switched over to consoles because they got fed up with the costs of upgrading, which is fair enough – but let’s not forget that an Xbox 360 wireless adaptor costs £60!

BRAVO! This author is on the ball. For about the same the price as 2 wireless controllers, you can buy a very capable video card from ATI. ( http://www.pricewatch.com/video_cards/ ). For considerably less than the price of a new PS3, you can buy a very good quad cpu/ crossfire motherboard combo that will have you gaming at higher resolutions than the PS3 could give you. There are quite a few ancillary expenditures with console gaming that get missed when discussing the price benefits of consoles.

All in all, I can easily say that 1) That was a very well composed article, headline aside, with lots of food for thought and topics for discussion, and 2) This is far and away the LONGEST post I have ever made in the "Consolization" forum.
This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 13:51.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2009, 12:20 Hyatus

The new SMB game is supposedly pretty fun but yeah in general I find the Wii to be an absolute shithole of a platform.

Yeah, with the exception of Nintendo's titles and a few very select others, the games suck and suck hard.

4. Is Critical Thinking Dying? Dec 14, 2009, 11:28 space captain

answer: YES  
Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2009, 11:05 Verno

The new SMB game is supposedly pretty fun but yeah in general I find the Wii to be an absolute shithole of a platform.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2009, 10:31 mch

Surprised there's no Mario Galaxy sequel on that list. Have they not announced a release date for that yet? I thought it was early 2010...

I enjoyed the first one, but you're right - that's really the only Wii game I can think of that I might be interested in.

NSMBW multiplayer is a lot of fun.

PSN: CaseDesignate

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2009, 10:05 |RaptoR|

There isn't a single title in that entire Nintendo list worth getting excited about.

That's a damned shame. Largest installed base, worst library. It's incredible that this system just can't seem to get anything going... this is the largest squandered opportunity in the history of gaming.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo