Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Legal Briefs

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Legal Briefs Dec 14, 2009, 16:21 mch

I have no idea what caused the turnaround, maybe cheaper prices on tickets despite the increased prices on food.

Where I live ticket prices are certainly not cheaper than they were ten years ago.

PSN: CaseDesignate
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Legal Briefs Dec 14, 2009, 13:41 Tumbler

I think the large dropout in the rental business has also contributed in part to the box office sales. People in general seem more willing to go to the movies than 10 years ago. I have no idea what caused the turnaround, maybe cheaper prices on tickets despite the increased prices on food.

I think Cable TV is the main reason you see rentals dropping off. The big movies still draw crowds but when it comes to rentals you're probably going to just turn on the TV and find something to watch before you go walk around those hell holes looking for a movie to watch.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: Damned Pirates: Hollywood Sets $10 Billion Box Office Record. T Dec 14, 2009, 11:11 Bhruic

Either 1) the number of people going to the movies is rising considerably faster than the number of people "stealing" movies at home, or 2) Pirates are also in large part customers and the torrent data is being used erroneously to draw bogus conclusions.

Or 3) the people who are "stealing" movies are people who weren't going to shell out the $X to go see/buy the movie anyway.

3. Re: Legal Briefs Dec 14, 2009, 11:09 Verno

I think the large dropout in the rental business has also contributed in part to the box office sales. People in general seem more willing to go to the movies than 10 years ago. I have no idea what caused the turnaround, maybe cheaper prices on tickets despite the increased prices on food.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

2. Re: Damned Pirates: Hollywood Sets $10 Billion Box Office Record. T Dec 14, 2009, 10:47 Prez

Still, the fact remains that year-on-year sales are up, in spite of increasing piracy. In my mind this illustrates that one of two things are true:

Either 1) the number of people going to the movies is rising considerably faster than the number of people "stealing" movies at home, or 2) Pirates are also in large part customers and the torrent data is being used erroneously to draw bogus conclusions.

Personally, I believe it's the second one, but it is basically just a guess and a gut feeling.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Damned Pirates: Hollywood Sets $10 Billion Box Office Record. T Dec 14, 2009, 10:13 LittleMe

Two factors that need to be considered here.

* The dollar is dropping in value which helps our Hollywood exports around the world, boosting sales.
* The bailouts created many billions of dollars which were 'dumped' into the economy, which essentially acted to artificially inflate sales figures.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo