Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced

The Team Fortress 2 Blog has another update on the Soldier/Demoman war currently underway in Team Fortress 2. The post points to a newspaper image that points to an article introducing a new crafting system for the teamplay shooter and a new Team Fortress 2 Saxton Hale Comic in throwback Jack Kirby style. Word on the Crafting system is: "EVERYTHING in your inventory now contributes towards something you actually WANT, and can build YOURSELF! If you’re super clever, you’ll even be able to craft new items before others can earn them the old fashioned way." Here's more:

Blueprints—some of which you’ll get right off the bat, others of which you’ll have to puzzle out on your own—will tell you which ingredients you’ll need to combine to make different items. Think of blueprints as recipes, but instead of making Chicken Cordon Bleu, they makes guns! And hats! And Sandviches, which in retrospect would have helped our analogy better if we’d mentioned that first. No time to correct it! We’re in the middle of a WAR here—this Crafting information needs to get to the people!

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 15, 2009, 07:49 Armengar

I really dont know what the problem is. None of the updates are game breaking. You dont pay a monthly fee and it adds a bit of extra options to the game.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 15, 2009, 00:21 ForgedReality

The product was already there - years and years ago. So was the community. Hey - did you actually play (QW)TF? TFC? What's that? No? Didn't think so. Honestly, I couldn't give a flying hoot about L4D, however your lack of knowledge on either subject still stands.

And dude - those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

You've just shown your hand. Please stop pretending anything you're saying right now is somehow relevant. Hate on Valve all you want, but being wrong about everything at the same time just doesn't help your cause.

Anyway, saying saying there have been games with similar gameplay as newer games, and that all games that came after were simply copying the older ones seems a little absurd. That means every game is copying Pong, Wolfenstein 3D, Frogger. Every car is merely copying the Model T, and its predecessors--the horse-drawn carriage?

Okay, that's a stretch, but it's how ridiculous you sound. Just because some games have had similar elements doesn't in any way diminish the newer games such as TF2. They can stand out on their own, easily. Afterall, everything humans do is merely a succession of prior attempts. We learn and we evolve, and we build upon that which came before.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that. Quake was the best game ever made in your eyes. Even though it was little more than a glorified tech demo. The community made that game great when it should have flopped. Valve recognizes community efforts, and is fostering that community's creativity and building greater experiences and tools because of it. Your inability to see that doesn't make it any less true.

51. Re: TF2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 21:52 Innocent

dev: excellent response.
neither of those games is team-fps games, but they are indeed well supported.

it's a damned shame between the 2 of us we came up with 3 games that are really well supported, and not mmorpg's.

if i owned a game company, i'd be copying the shit outta every move valve makes. i'd even name my company similarly. "Faucet"

50. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 19:07 The Raven

Believe it or not, the 'winning formula' you speak of, was actually created in Australia before Valve as we know it today existed.

Considering that the Aussies joined Valve before Half Life was even released, it seems stupid to say that 'Valve' didn't create a winning formula. Those guys have been with Valve for over a decade.

What's more accurate is that Valve finds talented people who complete games for fun, and hires them to make games for money (Joel Spolsky: hire smart people who get things done). They did it with Team Fortress, Counter Strike, and Portal. So 'Valve' is a company with lots of employees who love making cool games for fun. I seriously don't see how this can be construed as a 'bad thing'. That's just about the best way to build a gaming company I can think of.

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven

49. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 16:13 Shooman

The product was already there - years and years ago. So was the community. Hey - did you actually play (QW)TF? TFC? What's that? No? Didn't think so. Honestly, I couldn't give a flying hoot about L4D, however your lack of knowledge on either subject still stands.

And dude - those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

48. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 13:12 ForgedReality

Dude - you have no clue about what you're talking about.

Valve didn't create any 'winning formula'. Believe it or not, the 'winning formula' you speak of, was actually created in Australia before Valve as we know it today existed.
Like CS - Valve acquired 'Team Fortress Software' (as it was called back then) and the rest is history.
So when you're done with performing your act of Valve fellatio, just remember it where the idea came from.

Don't be retarded. An IDEA doesn't make a PRODUCT. You had this lovely idea for this post, but it wasn't exactly brilliant, for example.

Who cares where the IDEA came from? They created the product, and they keep innovating it, supporting it, and creating a kickass community around it. There will never be this kind of fervor surrounding the L4D franchise because it just doesn't have the kind of life and freshness to it that TF2 has.

But hey, keep being a pompous, negative nancy on the internet. I'm sure it will make you feel better.

47. Re: TF2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 10:39 kimbambaman

Madness, I say!

Well, I guess you can't fault Valve for not trying something new...

Also, that comic was pretty epic.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 10:59.

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

46. Re: TF2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 10:34 Wowbagger_TIP

2. what's left to update when the soldier and demo get their updates... more hats? great...
There's always the Engineer...

I'm all for developer support but I wanted an FPS when I bought TF2, not an MMO hybrid.
There's really nothing MMO about the game. Just because it has a fairly minor crafting component doesn't make it even remotely like any MMO out there. It's just another way to get customizations for the classes. I don't see why this should be considered a big deal. The gameplay hasn't changed.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

45. Re: TF2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 08:55 Verno

I'm all for developer support but I wanted an FPS when I bought TF2, not an MMO hybrid.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

44. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 05:26 InBlack

Kind of off-topic but man I just wish Valve would release Episode3 already, I still kind of want to finish the bloody story....  

I have a nifty blue line!

43. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 04:35 Dev

Innocent:
Easy, just about any Blizzard game.
They are working on a MAJOR patch to diablo 2 as we speak. They updated starcraft this year at least once I belive. Those are far far older than TF2.

42. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 03:52 RedFlagKid

Two things I'm worried about:

1. how long will it take to get the items you need to craft useful stuff, when items are given out randomly for time played?

2. what's left to update when the soldier and demo get their updates... more hats? great...

41. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 03:28 Shooman

I see this bandied about often as some kind of reason L4D2 would be better...which is just completely wrong. Valve didn't buy L4D, they bought Turtle Rock Studios in its entirety, and the Turtle Rock people finished up the game after being bought/renamed to Valve South. Those same people also made L4D2. It's still a bunch of not-Valvers in all but name. It's just a different studio mindset.

Well regardless of semantics, I care less than nothing about either L4D1 or 2. TF2 has them both by the balls in terms of gameplay and staying power. Supposedly, they had a bunch of the TF2 staff onboard with the L4D2 stuff leading up to its release. There has never been a game quite like TF2, especially in terms of support from its developer. Valve has created a winning formula, so there's no reason why they shouldn't keep doing the things they've been doing.

Dude - you have no clue about what you're talking about.

Valve didn't create any 'winning formula'. Believe it or not, the 'winning formula' you speak of, was actually created in Australia before Valve as we know it today existed.
Like CS - Valve acquired 'Team Fortress Software' (as it was called back then) and the rest is history.
So when you're done with performing your act of Valve fellatio, just remember it where the idea came from.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 03:30.

40. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 02:18 ForgedReality

I see this bandied about often as some kind of reason L4D2 would be better...which is just completely wrong. Valve didn't buy L4D, they bought Turtle Rock Studios in its entirety, and the Turtle Rock people finished up the game after being bought/renamed to Valve South. Those same people also made L4D2. It's still a bunch of not-Valvers in all but name. It's just a different studio mindset.

Well regardless of semantics, I care less than nothing about either L4D1 or 2. TF2 has them both by the balls in terms of gameplay and staying power. Supposedly, they had a bunch of the TF2 staff onboard with the L4D2 stuff leading up to its release. There has never been a game quite like TF2, especially in terms of support from its developer. Valve has created a winning formula, so there's no reason why they shouldn't keep doing the things they've been doing.

39. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 01:53 Wowbagger_TIP

So they created an alternate way to get certain weapons and hats. Sounds fine to me. I'm goin back in...  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

38. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 00:46 Sepharo

I just played TF2 for the first time since the Heavy update.

Same ol' game as always with some new weapons that fit very well.

The crybabies don't even play the game.

37. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 14, 2009, 00:44 Zyrxil

L4D1 wasn't made by Valve. They basically just bought it and finished it up. Had it been their baby, I'm sure they would have supported it better than they did, but now, this time around, they have their own game to support with L4D2. They felt they could do a better L4D, so they decided to do a sequel, Valve-style. I'm sure it will receive better support than the last one.

36. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 13, 2009, 23:34 ForgedReality

Um... NO? That game was almost entirely community driven. Valve basically forgot about it. The only reason it kept going as long as it did, is because there are a lot of 12 year olds on the internet.

That shitty game can go eat a bag of stickies.

edit -
Also a Valve game. Valve really has no peer in this regard, with the possible exception of Blizzard I suppose.

All of which made the original L4D's dearth of post-release support so stunning to me. The move was just so uncharacteristic for Valve. Thankfully, L4D2 is a great game out of the box, so it isn't as in need of further additions as the original was.

L4D1 wasn't made by Valve. They basically just bought it and finished it up. Had it been their baby, I'm sure they would have supported it better than they did, but now, this time around, they have their own game to support with L4D2. They felt they could do a better L4D, so they decided to do a sequel, Valve-style. I'm sure it will receive better support than the last one.

edit 2 -
Excuse me? Do you have a bone to pick or something? Settle down and stop jizzing over how 'cool' you think your lame insults are.

Sent by: Shooman (Shooman)

Okay, no idea what you're talking about, but next time you want to be an Internet Tough Guy, maybe you should do it publicly, or at least enable email responses so I can reply and ask what the hell you're talking about. >_>

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 00:24.

35. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 13, 2009, 23:34 Prez

Also a Valve game. Valve really has no peer in this regard, with the possible exception of Blizzard I suppose.

All of which made the original L4D's dearth of post-release support so stunning to me. The move was just so uncharacteristic for Valve. Thankfully, L4D2 is a great game out of the box, so it isn't as in need of further additions as the original was.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 13, 2009, 23:29 Rockn-Roll

can ANYBODY state a non subscription game supported as heavily as valve has supported TF2?

Uhm...Counter Strike?

Let's Rock!

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo