Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

America's Army Game Cost $32 Million

GameSpot has details on the cost of America's Army, saying the Unreal-engine first-person shooter created by the US Army as a recruiting aid has cost taxpayers 32.8 million dollars in the decade the project has been underway. GameSpot actually filed a Freedom of Information Act request to get this info, though some aspects of the request were denied because "disclosure of this information is likely to cause substantial harm to the Department of the Army's competitive position in the gaming industry." They also include a summary of the annual expenditures on the game:

America's Army year-by-year budget summary
2000--$3,500,000
2001--$5,600,000
2002--$1,862,985
2003--$2,600,000
2004--$3,866,482
2005--$1,288,552
2006--$4,050,748
2007--$2,788,137
2008--$3,887,450
2009--$3,395,702

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: America's Army=$32M Dec 11, 2009, 11:02 Lit_Reflex001

Basically the US may well be a big bully that wants to play the game like Bill Gates (who ironically happens to be a Democrat).

I think the point here is that we tend to get involved in wars that we have absolutely no business in.

Take Vietnam for example. What the fuck do we care if Communism takes over some random island?

Were we even remotely correct that if we allowed Vietnam to become Communist the rest of the world would follow suit?

Do we really have a reason to be in Afghanistan or not?

Also keep in mind that historically world powers have leaned towards raping Africa and the Middle East. So there's a lot of hatred against us over there.

People seem to think that it's OK to just head on over to, say, China and completely fuck over the people with opium and whatever the hell else was going on.

Or to head on into Africa and start invading countries and taking slaves (I hear that black people just ADORE South Africa).

Or perhaps exploiting the oil reserves in the Middle East and initially giving them a pittance for what we were getting (allegedly). Or perhaps directly implanting spies and whatnot into a country to encourage regime change that's conducive to our international economic policies.

Though don't go thinking that I'd rather live in Baghdad or someplace.

Also, the developers/military officials overseeing the demilitarization of America's Army are fucking stupid because they COMPLETELY REMOVED RECOIL ENTIRELY.

OK: fine. So we don't want our military "simulation" to be available to civilians. But when your supposed to be "competitive" in the gaming industry, you kind of have to leave recoil in.

Or else you end up with a so-called "first person shooter" where you point your magic wand at whatever you want and hold down a button.

But don't worry; they still left in the fact that you can die from 1 or 2 center body mass shots.

I don't think we need additional financial details to infer that America's Army is fucking ridiculous.

Hopefully part 2 implements a conventional 3-d engine along with the realization that they will have to simply tweak their pre-existing simulation in order to fit in with the rest of the pack.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 11:10.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2009, 02:34 BobBob

Your comment assumes that morality is relative.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

42. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2009, 00:09 Narf2029

Of course you're not talking about world politics - that would invalidate your argument. You can't make the US look like an evil bully if people start throwing around their silly facts that make everyone else look that way too.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 00:10.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

41. Re: Game Reviews Dec 10, 2009, 10:09 BobBob

Thanks for assuming I'm talking about world politics.  

40. Re: Game Reviews Dec 10, 2009, 09:51 Enahs

Hardly a decade goes by where America isn't at war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_the_United_States

What is your point?
Look at how many wars the UK has been in (limit it to the same time frame):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_the_United_Kingdom

Look at how big the list is for all of the large countries, they are all huge.

America is not the only people at War, if you want to make comments on world politics you might want to first figure out what is going on.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

39. Re: Game Reviews Dec 10, 2009, 08:50 BobBob

Prez wants to be on the front line where he can show the enemy his patriotic penis.  

38. Re: Game Reviews Dec 10, 2009, 08:31 Prez

I love these threads. Hippies come out of the woodwork to spew their self-righteous nonsense, and I get a good laugh!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: Game Reviews Dec 10, 2009, 02:03 BobBob

Hardly a decade goes by where America isn't at war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_the_United_States

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2009, 02:05.

36. Re: America's Army=$32M Dec 9, 2009, 21:52 tuddies

Snuffing out lives with useless wars: priceless!  

35. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 18:37 Ruffiana

That's like a half dozen Tomahawk cruise missiles per year!

http://regretfulmorning.com/2009/07/5-most-expensive-military-vehicles-to-date/

disclosure of this information is likely to cause substantial harm to the Department of the Army's competitive position in the gaming industry

That's such an interesting quote. Maybe they don't want the Marines honing in on their action?

34. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 18:25 Beamer

I suggest you get your sarcasm detector checked out son, it's on the blink again. But thanks anyway for the potted lesson on military budgets.

In fairness, it's hard to tell in this thread. Very hard. So many people are saying such horrifically ignorant things ("slippery" things) that you can't tell who's messing around and who's an overly partisan nutjob.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 16:12 sir

What a waste of money. That's enough to wage a short, sharp war in a far flung part of the world and have them hate Americans for decades afterward.

Despite the fact that you're a gigantic troll, your statement is still incredibly funny. 32 million lets them wage a war? 32 million doesn't even let Congress VOTE on a war, much less get a single soldier to gather his gear so he can be shipped out.

The cost of a war STARTS in the hundreds of billions of dollars. Then it adds about 2 billion dollars a day, provided the airforce has to fly sorties. Otherwise it's a measly few hundred million a day.

Creston

I suggest you get your sarcasm detector checked out son, it's on the blink again. But thanks anyway for the potted lesson on military budgets.

32. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 15:47 ASJD

The first few years of the project were fine, first Unreal Engine 2 game on the market, pretty good game, and definitely useful for recruitment.

Project should have been completely cut off by 2005 or so though, game has gone to shit and I'm sure the playerbase is down.

31. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 15:22 derelict koan

created by the US Army as a recruiting aid

lol awesome..."what do you mean I have to get out of my chair?!"

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

30. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 15:03 Creston

I have absolutely no problem with this whatsoever.

Spoken like a true Conservative. Just don't spend that money on social programs or healthcare then you would be walking around carrying tea bags. Spending the money on murder=good. Spending money on making people's lives better=bad. Ah the Conservative way.

Shut your troll yap, Jim. A government works according to a fucking budget. This is money that's been earmarked for the DoD, and it's the DoD who can spend it as they see fit. If the DoD doesn't spend 100 million from its budget, it doesn't automatically and magically get turned into little fairies that heal all the sick children.

Don't like it? Write your Representatives and Senators and tell them that they need to lower the DoD's budget. But you'd rather just sit here and bleat and moan, because it's much easier to just bitch about something on the Internet. Ah, the hordes of you "The World Would Be So Much Better If..." tools on the Internet.

Creston

29. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 15:00 Creston

What a waste of money. That's enough to wage a short, sharp war in a far flung part of the world and have them hate Americans for decades afterward.

Despite the fact that you're a gigantic troll, your statement is still incredibly funny. 32 million lets them wage a war? 32 million doesn't even let Congress VOTE on a war, much less get a single soldier to gather his gear so he can be shipped out.

The cost of a war STARTS in the hundreds of billions of dollars. Then it adds about 2 billion dollars a day, provided the airforce has to fly sorties. Otherwise it's a measly few hundred million a day.

Creston

28. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 14:59 Donkey_Punch

Spoken like a true Conservative. Just don't spend that money on social programs or healthcare then you would be walking around carrying tea bags. Spending the money on murder=good. Spending money on making people's lives better=bad. Ah the Conservative way.

27. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 14:56 Creston

So what? That's the price of one LDAM a year. I love how it's being portrayed as "it cost the taxpayers 32 million!", when it just comes out of the DoD's budget.

What, does anyone think that if they didn't make America's Army, somehow they'd have handed that 32 million dollars back out of their budget? And that the government would have refunded it to the american taxpayer? So we'd all have gotten ~ 18 cents?

They'd have used that money to buy advertising spots on TV otherwise, and it's pretty arguable that America's Army has been a very useful advertisement for them.

Creston

26. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 14:53 Donkey_Punch

LMAO 32 million dollars for propaganda. You would think with that money it would be a half decent game instead of a buggy CounterStrike ripoff.  

25. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 14:42 LittleMe

At 3.5 million a year, working out to about a penny per person for 10 years of gaming, that's just about *the* best deal I've ever gotten for gaming.

That's how subsidies work, the people getting the benefits get a great deal while everyone else is ripped off and if anyone refuses payment they are put in a pound-you-in-the-ass prison. If they refuse arrest lethal force can be used (ie. violence). The whole system is based on violence.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo