Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: etc. Dec 9, 2009, 17:49 xXBatmanXx

Looks beautiful still (Black Mesa). I wish them the best of luck and will be more than happy to play when it releases. I would even pay for it.

I still go back and play HL1. One of the best games of all time. To sit here and say "meh this would have been cool 4 years ago" is absurd. HL1 still stands alone.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Black Mesa Dec 9, 2009, 17:14 Prez

Frankly, Black Mesa will surprise me if it ever releases. I wouldn't ever begrudge the modders taking too long; they work for free so others can game on, which is totally awesome, and I'm guessing that most of them have lives and responsibilities (not to mention paying jobs so they can eat) which have a nasty tendency of intruding on their vision. It's just that if I had a nickel for every ambitious, long in development mod that fizzled out and died over time, I'd ... have a whole lot of nickels.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Black Mesa Dec 9, 2009, 15:53 EvilGrouse

I apparently live under a rock, as this is the first I've heard of the mod. It looks friggin awesome!!  

7. Re: private servers Dec 9, 2009, 13:56 DG

Being a bit fussy here but odd they didn't distinguish between private servers like for FPS games and those used for pirated MMORPGs etc.  

6. Re: etc. Dec 9, 2009, 13:36 Pigeon

I think there's a lot of allure for private servers beyond the free aspect. It'd be neat if you could legally play on a private server if you were paying a subscription fee to blizzard or whoever actually owns the game. There's a lot that can be done with a small and/or like minded server population that just flat out won't work on official servers. I wouldn't even mind paying an extra $2-3 per month for the right to play on private servers. But it would never happen, I'm sure there are some good reasons why as well.  

5. Re: etc. Dec 9, 2009, 12:24 Krovven

They went too ambitious with their plans, ie: announcing they were doing the full game and multiplayer, and stating they would release it as one full package.

I said this back when it was first announced, I'll say it again...they should have focused on completing and releasing sections of the game at a time, not trying to recreate the full game + multiplayer in one shot.

A perfect example they should have learned from is the Dark Forces remake mod and the mod dev hell that has gone through. I think it's been almost 10 years, if not more. But looking at their website, sounds like they actually may be close to finally completing it.

http://darkforces.jediknight.net/index2.shtml

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 12:31.

4. Re: EGM Dec 9, 2009, 12:23 ldonyo

EGM died because it did not have enough subscribers to sustain it. How is rehiring the same staff going to make that different the second time around? Will the content be geared toward post-pubescent readers this time? With the same staff in charge, I doubt it.  

3. Re: etc. Dec 9, 2009, 11:09 SirKnight

I was just thinking about the Black Mesa mod a few days ago. I watched the trailer they released a year ago again and remember feeling good knowing it would be out in 2009. Now a year later and nothing.

Oh well, it IS a mod group after all and not a company working on this full time. But, since it has been going on so long, if we don't see it in 2010 I'm pretty sure I'll just give up and lose interest.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 11:10.

2. Re: Black Mesa Mod Dec 9, 2009, 11:00 Nameless Again

I have a feeling this is going to take so long, that by the time it comes out, people will be like "This is cool, but too bad it took so long and the engine is now so outdated. It would have been cool like 4 years ago..."

1. Black Mesa Mod Dec 9, 2009, 10:05 wtf_man

I kind of had a feeling that the Black Mesa Mod wouldn't make the deadline. If you read some of the more recent comments from the devs (like a couple of months ago) on their boards they were claiming to be fairly far from finished, even with the 2009 deadline around the corner.

Oh Well.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo