Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Patched

A new version 3.3 is live for World of Warcraft, Blizzard's MMORPG, offering a number of changes and fixes, as well as the launch of the Icecrown Citadel, which includes three five-player dungeons. All the changes are outlined in the WoW Test Realm Patch Notes, and manual versions of some of the patches for the various localized versions of the game can be found on ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, FileFront, The Patches Scrolls, and WorthPlaying.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: WoW Patched Dec 9, 2009, 15:25 Kxmode

Nearly 4 years after quitting I got my first "please come back and play" mail. I'm tempted to reinstall if only to see how many days it'll take to patch my ancient discs.

When you download the TBC and WOTLK installers they contain most of the major patches except for a few from WOTLK. You won't need to download a bunch of patches.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: WoW Patched Dec 9, 2009, 15:21 Kxmode

All of you bitching about "gear curves" fail to miss the point about WOW. It's not the gear, it's the content. The gear is just a reward for doing content. Case in point: Lich King. I'm not raiding Icecrown Citadel for gear. I'm raiding it because I want to see all the new content and fight Arthas himself! It's about challenge and progression, setting goals, and achieving those goals.  

22. Re: WoW Patched Dec 9, 2009, 00:17 Yifes

The gear curve is pretty brutal and it really prohibits the casual player from evr being anything more than very casual - which is Blizzard's own fault. In a month I'll have finished Northrend than I'll probably be done playing untill Cataclysm - as I'm just not down with the grind.

I like how, in MMOs, someone can spend hundreds of hours to get to Northrend, and still be considered a very casual player.

21. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 19:22 Zadig

Nearly 4 years after quitting I got my first "please come back and play" mail. I'm tempted to reinstall if only to see how many days it'll take to patch my ancient discs.  

20. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 19:06 Wallshadows

Gear is stupid easy to get now. The more you put in, the more you get back. If the players simply sit around and complain rather than run heroics then of course no one would get geared.

With the implementation of badges for top-tier items, Vault of Archavon, and 10/25 man modes it's not hard to gear unless you're the type who stands in a deep breath or fire. Especially now with the new LFG system, this is going to be incredibly easy to find heroic groups and they even give you new emblems to do so.

Epics are anything but epic now.

19. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 19:03 NKD

Gear is about as easy as it can get now. You can get so much stuff with badges, and can now farm heroics using the random heroic dungeon finder which ignores any heroic lockouts you may have.

You could literally farm badges with your 5man group all day long and end up only one and a half tiers short of the big boys. Do some light 10-man raiding in addition to your heroic running, and you're all set for doing 25mans in a month or two.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

18. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 17:25 nin

The gear curve is pretty brutal and it really prohibits the casual player from evr being anything more than very casual - which is Blizzard's own fault.

As Warrax said below, it's gotten a lot easier, and you can get a 5 piece T9 set just doing Heroics.

Now, if you don't want to do enough to earn the 210 embs needed, well, that goes back to your grind comment, and yes, there's still a bit of that.

And does anyone else think T10 looks damn ugly??? Man...I'm in no hurry to get rid of T9 and lose my set bonus from that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 17:20 Cutter

It's weird, too, because I either need to start playing immediately while my gear is still current, else I will endlessly be behind the gear curve and really shouldn't bother until the next expansion semi-resets everything. After the last two-plus years of constant raiding, it's a little peculair (and extremely pathetic.

Yeah, I just decided to come back for a month - at least - as I only got about 1/4 way into Northrend when I dropped the game last time. The gear curve is pretty brutal and it really prohibits the casual player from evr being anything more than very casual - which is Blizzard's own fault. In a month I'll have finished Northrend than I'll probably be done playing untill Cataclysm - as I'm just not down with the grind.

I was loving DDO but the lack of content is just too much to keep playing. Nothing else really peaks my interest. I tried LOTR and while it strikes me as a quality game, there's just something sort of meh about it. Guess I'm just not enough into Tolkein.

STO will be a waste of time I'm sure, so the only thing coming out this year that I hope and pray doesn't suck is DCUO. I hope it comes soon too. We'll see about the new SW MOG. It'd be nice if the Secret World comes out this year too, and again hope and pray it doesn't suck - such huge potential here.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

16. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 15:49 Bronco

On the other hand, it's nice to have nights to myself or let me post-work day play out in a casual way.

The moment I decided to stop raiding and in turn chase raid achievements I found I had no reason to log in. I can't stand the thought of doing endless arenas, battlegrounds, dailies or 5 man stuff...that's just me. I've never managed to level a 2nd character to max level although this time I did get a mage to 73 or 74 (I think).

Also, I dread the whole guild initiation process - the begging to join, the jaded criticism, and dynamics of politics in a game that is based around hunting down the next gear upgrade.

I was lucky in that I was part of a top flight guild when I quit the first time due to RL stuff. When I came back 9 months later my rep on the server let me pick up with the #4 Alliance guild on the server eventually becoming a guild officer. We were 3rd overall when I quit for the 2nd time and now I'm parked in the guild I created with Sixis (wonder where the hell he went ). They flirt with top 50 US status now.

It's weird, too, because I either need to start playing immediately while my gear is still current, else I will endlessly be behind the gear curve and really shouldn't bother until the next expansion semi-resets everything. After the last two-plus years of constant raiding, it's a little peculair (and extremely pathetic. )

This couldn't be further from the truth. I think in a little over 3 weeks of serious 'work' you can be fully decked out and ready for anything that ICC has to offer. I hate to admit it but this change is one of the reasons I lost my taste for the game. I guess that makes me an elitist.

As for LK, I think Blizzard really fine tuned a lot of mechanics, but it has simultaneously made some out of the blue changes that reinforce the idea that it really doesn't know what to do with the game in the long term. More than anything, the lack of varied content combined with the excessive rehashing of supplied content (5 person, 10 person, 25 person, hard mode for all, heroic mode for all) is a bit tiring.

When WotLK was released I stayed away from 10 man Naxx, OS and Malygos - only picking up achievements there by filling in guild runs. Then when Ulduar hit I ran a 10 man group with another guild officer. I did 3 nights a week 3 hours of 25 man ulduar followed by another 2 hours of 10 man udluar....got the meta in 10 man was close on 25 man when ToC was released. When I did the first clear and realized it was ONE room - I said fuck this, I can't deal with it for 3 nights a week - and I quit.

I wanted to stick with it till expansion and see Arthas but....it just isn't gonna happen.

-TPFKAS2S

15. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 14:16 Warrax

Hey Ray Marden just so you know, in this patch you can get T10 just by doing the heroic daily and the weekly raid quest and T9 by doing heroics over and over soooo yeah, the game is more casual than ever now.  

14. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 14:06 Krovven

While I enjoy the game, I'm not going to waste hours/days/weeks of my life hunting for the rare Epic drops, when they will be replaced by blues in the first week of Cataclysm doing quests.

I've barely played at all in the last 3 months because there have been so many other good games taking my time. Resident Evil 5, Uncharted 2, Demons Souls, Little Big Planet, Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Torchlight...list goes on.

13. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 12:46 Ray Marden

Eh, I am mixed about things.

I just went through some major guild dRaMaZ and haven't really played the game for the past few weeks.
I expected the guild to follow its rules. Unfortunately, it was a real-world clique.
On one hand, I miss parts of the game like the weekly struggle to accomplish the next goal with a large group of people.

On the other hand, it's nice to have nights to myself or let me post-work day play out in a casual way. Also, I dread the whole guild initiation process - the begging to join, the jaded criticism, and dynamics of politics in a game that is based around hunting down the next gear upgrade.

It's weird, too, because I either need to start playing immediately while my gear is still current, else I will endlessly be behind the gear curve and really shouldn't bother until the next expansion semi-resets everything. After the last two-plus years of constant raiding, it's a little peculair (and extremely pathetic. )

As for LK, I think Blizzard really fine tuned a lot of mechanics, but it has simultaneously made some out of the blue changes that reinforce the idea that it really doesn't know what to do with the game in the long term. More than anything, the lack of varied content combined with the excessive rehashing of supplied content (5 person, 10 person, 25 person, hard mode for all, heroic mode for all) is a bit tiring. As ever, I think Blizzard has achieve some phenomenal lows in customer service, particularly on its forums.

Really tempted by that Lost Blu-Ray collection deal on Amazon...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 8, 2009, 12:41 Kxmode

Yes, Think people..think. "Greed is good" means something entirely different to me Hellslayer than what you wrote. I won't say what it is.  

11. WoW addiction Dec 8, 2009, 12:39 Shok

I had kicked the WoW habit and was clean for nearly 3 months until Blizzard sent me an email last week for 7 days free game time. I used that game time and it expires this evening just in time to make me resubscribe so I can play 3.3. DAMN YOU BLIZZARD ARGGHHHH!  

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 8, 2009, 12:27 HellSlayer

Making wealth is not greed. Some make wealth and share...

Being good at what you do is not greedy either. Think people..think.

o0

9. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 12:26 Bronco

A lot of my friends were getting ready to stop their subscription due to the lameness that is TOC and nothing else to do.

Mine expires in mid February but I haven't logged in much at all since flaming out in early October.

Looking back I'm not sure how I had the time to devote to the game.

I really wanted to make it to Arthas - guess I'll watch guild videos of it instead of seeing it first hand.

-TPFKAS2S

8. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 11:56 beigemore

Frozen orbs are still useful for some recipes.. especially the 20 hour jewelcrafting one.  

7. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 11:55 ColoradoHoudini

Hello fellow WoW nerds..

Here's a sexy pic of my Shaman
[url=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/knockboots/Xodiak_C_D.jpg[/url]

6. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 11:28 Kxmode

Besides the game there's another side of WOW. You have legitimate business people, trade sellers, and shady gold dealers. All of them blend together to form a thriving economy that any economics major could learn a thing or two from. In other words WOW's economy is a very good mirror of how economy works. I can tell you from my own experience that greed is good.

Horde Realm #1 ... 1650g 50s (started with 30g)
Alliance Realm #1 ... 950g 15s (started with 200g)
Horde Realm #2 ... 7500g 75s (main character, started with 0)
Alliance Realm #2 ... 1200g 35s (started with 300g)

Business has been good lately.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2009, 11:36.

5. Re: WoW Patched Dec 8, 2009, 11:12 nin

If you have Frozen and Crusader Orb try and sell them ASAP, as of today they won't be worth much.

Yeah, I have a friend waiting on me to craft Merlin Robe and Bejeweled Wizard's Bracers for him, as I told him the orbs were about to drop. They've been dropping in the last few weeks anyway, as people have been trying to beat the rush and unload them.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo