Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Patched

Steam News announces the release of a new automatic update for Team Fortress 2, Valve's multiplayer shooter. The update has a bunch of fixes and closes of a possible avenue for exploitation. The full patch notes follow.

Engine

• Added checks to prevent transferring .smx, .gcf, and .sys files between client/server
  • Fixed upload/download exploits with spaces in the file extension or a path separator at the beginning of the requested file (as reported on the HLDS mailing lists)

Team Fortress 2

• Fixed custom particle systems inside maps causing particles to break in successive maps
  • Fixed a rare vphysics crash
  • Fixed background highlight for KOTH timers not being aligned properly in minmode
  • Fixed the Heavy's fists being hidden while taunting
  • Fixed cloaked Spies having the critboost effect on their weapon
  • Fixed banned clients being able to spamming a server with the "joined" chat text
  • Fixed seeing the wrong class counts if the game swapped teams while the class menu was open
  • Fixed Spies being able to disguise while performing a taunt
  • Fixed having to press the voice menu key twice if the menu timed out and closed itself last time it was open
  • Fixed the "Confirm Delete" dialog in the Items menu not handling the key correctly
  • Fixed dispenser not healing players at the correct rate if it's upgraded while the players are already touching the dispenser
  • Fixed exec'ing the .cfg file for a class change before the player has actually changed class

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 19:09 Zadig

There are still plenty of people on the servers whenever I play. They tend to be horrible but they're there, which is what matters.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 18:20 Jow

Up until yesterday I hadn't played anything but 2fort on the same server for well over a year, based on bad experiences with random maps/players. Yesterday, however, my usual server hadn't yet updated with the patch and I needed a break from paper-writing, so I hopped on a random map running arguably my second favorite map, Badlands.

15 minutes and 5 or 6 rounds of Badlands later (math says just over 2 minutes per round), I remembered why I cut myself down to 2fort. Scout swarms, horrific or completely lacking teamwork, and bears, oh my.

Back into my 2fort cave...

11. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 15:07 Wowbagger_TIP

Also, the other day I joined a server loaded with bots (and they didn't show a 0 ping either). It took me awhile to figure that out as there were engineers building, medics healing and weird things like that. But they were a work in progress since they always took the same path and sometimes stopped on points for no reason, and the engies sometimes built at points well behind the battle lines.
So just like real players Maybe they were just set to "n00b" level.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 13:59 mag

My regular server has been pretty consistently packed lately--I usually have to wait a few minutes to join. But, I think L4D2 dragged away a lot of the TF2 players. They'll be back when they realize L4D sucks.  

9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 13:20 Zyrxil

I thought that was just me. God, I loved TFC and I totally missed the life cycle of TF2 :(
There's still plenty of people playing, but it may be the wrong season. I personally haven't played in two months because of the glut of holiday game releases.

8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 13:11 beigemore

There's some big clan called Edge Gamers Orginazatio (EGO) and their servers are usually pretty populated. They've got their server IP's on their website. Just manually add them to your favorites and you'll always have some servers with a bunch of people playing.

http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/cmps_index.php?pageid=serverlist&game=tf2

7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 12:46 Elricsi

Before I join a server I right click and select "player info" (I think that is what it is called.)

Then it gives you the player names and scores in the game. The fake servers either have 0 or 1 player on it or don't reply to the player info query.

Also, the other day I joined a server loaded with bots (and they didn't show a 0 ping either). It took me awhile to figure that out as there were engineers building, medics healing and weird things like that. But they were a work in progress since they always took the same path and sometimes stopped on points for no reason, and the engies sometimes built at points well behind the battle lines.

6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 12:28 Bronco

any more, man, it's HARD to find a server with PEOPLE on it.

I thought that was just me. God, I loved TFC and I totally missed the life cycle of TF2

-TPFKAS2S

5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 12:16 PHJF

AFAIK as the bullshit server population was put in by Valve as an option for servers.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 12:07 theyarecomingforyou

I'm in the UK and there are quite a few servers about with fake player counts. Very annoying. Valve said they were going to address this but nothing happened.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 11:38 Zyrxil

How the hell do you select your servers? I've heard of fake playercounts, but when I want to play but it's too early for my usual servers to be populated, I do a full server list refresh, sort by ping, and join the first one with more than 12 players on. Running into that problem, so consistently, for a month, that's just mind-boggling.  

2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 10:20 Innocent

any more, man, it's HARD to find a server with PEOPLE on it. the ingame serverfinder reports games with 29/32 players, and you join only to find the actual population is 1/32 - and the one is you. i bet i've tried to join 20 games in the past month, and haven't seen another player in that time.

wish they'd fix THAT shit, the bullshit population reporting.

1. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 8, 2009, 09:54 Ian

They added a bunch of new Announcer sound files as well. Lots of stuff about Friendships and Betrayals. Seems like groundwork for an update in December.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo