Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id: "RAGE Will Feel Like a True PC Game"

There's a RAGE Q&A on NowGamer talking with Tim Willits, Creative Director at id Software, about RAGE, their upcoming first-person shooting and driving game. The Q&A is pretty general, asking about the game and its story. They also discuss its multi-platform development, and Tim feels that PC gamers will feel at home: "For the game designers the biggest focus for each system is the controller interface. We’ve taken very deliberate steps to make each system feel right in regards to the interface and the controller. We’ve been making PC games for over 15 years, so PC fans should rest assured that Rage will feel like a true PC game, not a PC port of a console game."

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: RAGE Dec 11, 2009, 23:56 Lit_Reflex001

Shit come to think of it, there may be a real chance of something like this happening.

After all, this *IS* a game heavily involving cars and is being made by iD with PC bloodlust in mind, right?

I hope there's an aspiring team of racing simulator Quake fans out there just itching to implement some proper physics.

That just reminded me: maybe Carmack can finally put that "Quake 2" airstrip drag racing data to use!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: RAGE "a True PC Game" Dec 11, 2009, 13:34 Bumpy

If we're lucky, we'll be able to mod some decent physics and whatever else we want in our PC version. Gotta fix what the game makers can't do right in the first place I guess.  

48. Re: RAGE Dec 11, 2009, 11:43 Lit_Reflex001

lol  

47. Re: RAGE Dec 11, 2009, 11:38 nin

No more coffee for you.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

46. Re: RAGE Dec 11, 2009, 11:36 Lit_Reflex001

I think there's a chance that Rage *WILL* be a god-damned console game.

Why? Because the physics will be all fucked up with the cars for stupid console noobs that can't fucking HANDLE the fact that their shitty driving will cause them to spin out or roll over.

Prove me wrong and show me some god-damned simulation physics (that actually compete with other games rather than dick around) as at least an OPTION so that I can ENJOY DRIVING THE FUCKING CAR.

Rather than WASTE MY FUCKING TIME LIKE WITH SOME PIECE OF SHIT RANDOM CONSOLE "RACING GAME" WHERE THE PHYSICS ARE SO USELESS THAT YOU JUST HOLD DOWN THE GAS PEDAL AND THE POWERSLIDES FAIL TO GIVE YOU ANY PLYMETRIC BOOSTS/APPROPRIATE NEGATIVE EFFECTS (THAT'S RIGHT; THE POWERSLIDES IN THESE GAMES USUALLY DON'T HAVE THE FUNCTIONALITY OF A SIMULATION'S AND TEND TO SLOW YOU DOWN MORE THAN ANYTHING).

*HOWEVER!* It *WILL* feel like a PC game! I can't remember what game I was playing, but some console game was ported over to PC and the developers ACTUALLY CONVERTED ENOUGH SHIT (and had the apparent technical competence to include not only a fully functional but a fully PROFESSIONAL options menu) to make it look like it was a PC GAME!

That's right! It's apparently REALLY EASY! (Though you wouldn't want to detract from the people that pulled things off well. I was very impressed that they were able to take watered down noobishness and give us the flexibility and professionalism we need.)

I will hold my breath, however optimistically, that iD will be able to continue to innovate in the area of violence effects. Doom3 actually implemented SOF2's unique realtime blood-layer effect in addition to the locational decals.

Let's see if it's fun to shoot people in their game.

You all should play Ninja Gaiden (part 1 at least) on the Xbox! That game had REAL fucking complexity to the gameplay mechanics and allowed a skilled player to flex his gaming muscles and be fluid and truly ONE WITH THE GOD DAMNED GAME!!!!!!!

I loved that game! I can't get over it. The combat system was so advanced (you gotta read about the technical details)!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 11:43.

45. Re: RAGE Dec 9, 2009, 04:21 Jerykk

Estimated PC sales in the first month were right around 17,000 copies. I can't corroborate the 50,000 sales estimate based on current info at my disposal, but I'd be shocked if it significantly broke that number.

Ouch. Shame, I thought the single-player component of Wolfenstein was fairly enjoyable.

Note that I said Quake 2.

Oh, nevermind then. Carry on.

44. Re: RAGE Dec 9, 2009, 03:23 FreonTrip

I'm pretty sure Wolfenstein sold poorly on all platforms. That said, where did you get those numbers?

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/09/11/wolfenstein-suffers-from-poor-first-month-sales/

Estimated PC sales in the first month were right around 17,000 copies. I can't corroborate the 50,000 sales estimate based on current info at my disposal, but I'd be shocked if it significantly broke that number.

What? Quake 3 had excellent sound design. Every sound was an important part of gameplay. The unique sounds of respawning powerups, the sound of powerups being collected, the grunts that players made when jumping, the sound made when you made a successful hit... every sound was important. Q3 is the best dueling game ever and really the epitome of 1v1 deathmatch.

Note that I said Quake 2. I've yet to find a more consistently compelling pure deathmatch game than Quake III Arena, and the CTF and team deathmatch modes are also terrific.

43. Re: RAGE Dec 9, 2009, 02:38 Jerykk

Besides, from all released figures Wolfenstein sold well south of 50,000 copies on the PC - any support offered after the initial release would be an act of goodwill that probably isn't merited given the sales numbers.

I'm pretty sure Wolfenstein sold poorly on all platforms. That said, where did you get those numbers?

Quake II wasn't any great shakes, though a lot of that weakness could be chalked up to the one-two punch of a buggy initial release (remember the fun of all those subsequent Point Releases?) and some of the worst sound design in a high-profile title in the last fifteen years.

What? Quake 3 had excellent sound design. Every sound was an important part of gameplay. The unique sounds of respawning powerups, the sound of powerups being collected, the grunts that players made when jumping, the sound made when you made a successful hit... every sound was important. Q3 is the best dueling game ever and really the epitome of 1v1 deathmatch.

42. Re: RAGE Dec 8, 2009, 22:31 FreonTrip

Yeah, sure. We're still waiting for id to admit they fucked up giving the Wolfenstein MP to Endrant. It's been already 3 months since Sokal said that we'd get a patch to fix all the issues (a miracle is needed there, and that doesn't include how they could fuck so badly one of the best MP games ever), so excuse me if I don't give any credit to id nowadays.

In the past there has been the whisper of a chance that Carmack could crack a little and reveal that some aspects of development for (title here) hit rough spots... but id Software's not an independent company any more. ZeniMax (and its investors) would balk, and probably seek to have Carmack fired or censured. His hands are tied. Besides, from all released figures Wolfenstein sold well south of 50,000 copies on the PC - any support offered after the initial release would be an act of goodwill that probably isn't merited given the sales numbers.

Not that they've really earned much after Quake 3, though. All their games (in-house or otherwise) since then have been decent at best, tech demos at the worst, far, far away from what they were releasing in the 90's.

Quake II wasn't any great shakes, though a lot of that weakness could be chalked up to the one-two punch of a buggy initial release (remember the fun of all those subsequent Point Releases?) and some of the worst sound design in a high-profile title in the last fifteen years. Quake III was anarchic and beautifully polished, but Team Arena should have been free, and Doom 3 was ultimately a promising but airless and misguided effort. As for third-party titles, RtCW was a little schizophrenic but not a discredit to the series, Quake 4 was a dud in every sense of the word, and... *sigh* well, you already mentioned Wolfenstein. The material released so far doesn't give me hope that Rage will have anything to offer that Fallout 3 and Borderlands don't already...

And no dedicated servers?. Sure, very True PC of you. Go have a party with IW to celebrate the lagfest that is MW2 and that Rage will probably end up being.

That move is raging idiocy. "The great thing is we won’t have to be a pioneer on that" response is damned close to "Let them eat cake."

41. Re: RAGE Dec 8, 2009, 13:45 Paketep

Yeah, sure. We're still waiting for id to admit they fucked up giving the Wolfenstein MP to Endrant. It's been already 3 months since Sokal said that we'd get a patch to fix all the issues (a miracle is needed there, and that doesn't include how they could fuck so badly one of the best MP games ever), so excuse me if I don't give any credit to id nowadays.

Not that they've really earned much after Quake 3, though. All their games (in-house or otherwise) since then have been decent at best, tech demos at the worst, far, far away from what they were releasing in the 90's.

And no dedicated servers?. Sure, very True PC of you. Go have a party with IW to celebrate the lagfest that is MW2 and that Rage will probably end up being.

40. Re: id: Dec 8, 2009, 10:28 Nameless Again

so PC fans should rest assured that Rage will feel like a true PC game

Why does it have to feel like a PC game? Can't it just be one? Seems to me it would have been better to design it as a PC game, and say "so console fans should rest assured that Rage will feel like a true console game..."

39. Re: id: Dec 8, 2009, 09:43 BubbleMage

Nice catch, Icewind. I knew I had seen that somewhere, but it had been subsumed into too many glasses of scotch in the intervening months. Looks like id's playing the spin game for all it's worth. I'll hold onto my skepticism -- and my wallet -- until I get to play a demo.  

38. Re: id: "RAGE Will Feel Like a True PC Game" Dec 8, 2009, 09:18 Veinman

Gamepads are great for driving games, and much preferred over the keyboard and mouse, at least for me.

I have very little interest in Rage. Hopefully it's a good game, but it's certainly a wait and see title. They burned me on Doom 3.

37. Re: id: "RAGE Will Feel Like a True PC Game" Dec 8, 2009, 08:52 aesir05

hmm  

36. Re: id: Dec 8, 2009, 08:11 InBlack

BF1942 (and pretty much every single teamplay shooter ever made) levels the playing field.

I can see the appeal, when you compare it to 1 on 1 pure deathmatch or even FFA deathmatch, its obviously much much easier than Doom or Quake (1, 2 or 3) to get some frags without getting your ass handed to you 21 to -3.

Still, IMO Doom2 and Quake1 are the finest 1 on 1 shooters ever made, par none. Nothing since ever came close. (Except for Q2 and Q3)

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: id: Dec 8, 2009, 07:00 LittleMe

When BF1942 came out, immediately id software was in the dust and became quaint. Sorry id. I am hopeful but doubtful also. Good luck.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

34. Re: id: "RAGE Will Feel Like a True PC G Dec 8, 2009, 05:29 wonkawonka

Speaking of consoles vs. M/KB, I find that Dragon Age did this well. Of course it's because it was designed through-and-through for PCs, and then consoles were tacked on later.
In any case, it is clear that PC input in almost all cases is going to be more effective and more precise, requiring a significant change in difficulty between PC and console versions.
I'm told Dragon Age on consoles is technically much easier than on PC, but in practice users find it hard enough. Therefore the rebalancing was done correctly.

33. Re: id: Dec 8, 2009, 04:55 InBlack

I think iD should go back to what they do best, hellspawn in droves and rockets. Yeah they do rockets/rocket launchers really well...  

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: id: Dec 8, 2009, 04:30 Jerykk

What they said is they've got mouse control absolutely sorted because that's what they've always done (and that it's retarded for people to believe they'd suddenly forget how), and they want to try and do the same with gamepads.

That's not really the concern here. Adding M/KB to a shooter is rudimentary. Anyone can do it, it doesn't exactly take a lot of effort. The issue is that a game designed for a gamepad isn't the same as a game designed for M/KB. M/KB lets you do things that can't be done with a gamepad without heavy aim assist. Quake, for example. A game designed for a gamepad will never fully realize the potential of M/KB, which is why Rage will feel like a console shooter.

31. Re: id: Dec 8, 2009, 04:23 ThatOtherGuy

What they said is they've got mouse control absolutely sorted because that's what they've always done (and that it's retarded for people to believe they'd suddenly forget how), and they want to try and do the same with gamepads.

They also said they know they made some miss-steps with Doom 3 and weren't happy with what happened with their franchises.
This is what drove id to try and change, they realized that attempting AAA titles while still remaining tiny didn't work no matter the hugely talented team members they threw at it. It's why they staffed up majorly and build a couple of teams and bring the franchises, and why they joined Zenimax to enable that.

Whether they pull it off remains to be seen, but reading most of the stuff here it doesn't seem many of you have actually been paying attention.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo