Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 20:04 Killswitch

"Despite his extensive credits, Wittenberg earns roughly $30,000 a year from his video game work and, like most of his peers, supplements that income by doing voice work for animated TV shows."

So he made $30,000 in what amounts to a part-time job and he's crying poor. He "supplements" THAT income with another part-time job. How much did he make between the two? He probably only works 6 months out the year and makes $50,000, but he thinks he's getting shafted?

@Narf2029 You make $25,000 for an entire year's work. This guy makes $30,000 for what amounts to a month or two of actual work. When you look at the numbers, he's actually over-paid.

With the proposed $800 for a 4 hour session, even if the actor worked only *4 hours a week* for a year, they would have grossed $38,400.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 20:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 19:01 Narf2029

I'm not saying voice actors should make six figures, but if I can start at a retail store and make $25000 a year moving boxes, a good voice actor should make better money.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

6. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 16:25 Wowbagger_TIP

And compound on that the stigma ever present, that videogames are a lesser art form and not worthy of any "real" talent or effort, and you get something like David Duchovy in XIII. Worst voice acting I've ever heard.
I gotta wonder what kind of direction these voice actors get for some of these games too. A lot of voice acting seems flat, like they're literally just phoning it in based on a script that just has vague direction about how the lines should be delivered, like "excitedly" or "angrily". Good direction can make a huge difference in the end quality of this kind of work.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 14:32 PHJF

Video games are kind of a conundrum as far as voice acting goes.

Voice acting in TV is fine because TV shows are ongoing and provide steady work.

Voice acting in film is fine because studios just grab marquee names for quick, temporary work in between their live-action romps.

Voice acting in games, though... It's like the worst of both worlds. So what we generally see are voice actors from television popping over for some extra income only to realize a) they don't make as much as they do on TV and b) they barely get any work out of it. Voice actors are generally either paid based on lines read or hours worked. With the exception of something like Dragon Age or Niko Bellic, artists are looking at very little work, and most of the time it truly just isn't worth it.

And compound on that the stigma ever present, that videogames are a lesser art form and not worthy of any "real" talent or effort, and you get something like David Duchovy in XIII. Worst voice acting I've ever heard.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 14:21 ldonyo

This is why a large amount of the voice work in games is done by non-union talent. Another fine example of just how unions a screwing things up for their membership by pricing themselves right out of yet another market.  

3. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 14:08 DG

The only reason big actors (voice, screen, presenters, whatever) get big money is their name draws in the crowds and that individual is critical to success.

Voice actors for games don't get paid very well because there are lots of them who are amply capable. People who can't get better paid work get to pay the rent. Unions pretend they are protecting the little guy but really what they do is protect their middle guy by shafting the little guy and the customer - raise minimum fees and what happens is those cheap guys now cost the same as the middle guys.

If game companies aren't offering enough money, don't do the work.

edit: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1043186/

"Despite his extensive credits, Wittenberg earns roughly $30,000 a year from his video game work and, like most of his peers, supplements that income by doing voice work for animated TV shows."
- uh, according to IMDB he did 11 bit parts ("Guard", "Male Pedestrian #1" etc) of "VG" in 2008, mostly games I haven't even heard of. I can't be arsed counting, but it looks to me like he did more TV than VG.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 14:23.

2. Re: Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 13:17 Killswitch

I don't understand what the problem is. You don't consider $30,000 to be a fair annual wage? That article doesn't mention how many hours these people actually work to earn that money, but I'm sure it's no where near 40 a week. You have to also consider how much actual "work" they do. I wouldn't call talking into a mic for a few hours a week a grind. If anything, these people should be getting paid LESS. At the end of the article, it says the union is proposing $800 for 4 hours. Does that really make sense to anyone? Many blue collar workers make little more than half that and they have to work 10 times longer to get it.

Just because they work in the "entertainment industry", everyone assumes they should be making 6 digit salaries. It's ridiculous.

1. Video game voice actors worry Dec 7, 2009, 12:22 Narf2029

I imagine this is the next step in the long chain of entertainment workers getting paid peanuts. $30,000 a year? I made almost as much unloading trucks. But then cartoon voice actors had to make their stink to get a decent wage and so did TV actors so I guess it's video game voice acting's turn to stand up and tell people they want to be paid for their work.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo