Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Trailers

A "Fleet Actions" developer diary video for Star Trek Online is now available, offering Cryptic's thoughts on the epic space battles they are planning for their upcoming Star Trek MMORPG. This clip can be found on GameTrailers and Worthplaying. Also, a clip showing some Klingon gameplay from a pre-alpha build of the game can be found on the YouTube. Thanks Ant via Digg.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 6, 2009, 11:34 swaaye

. The effects were done at ILM.
Actually ILM only made the initial stock footage for the series. The not-so-great stuff from season 1 and 2 mostly. Of course they did do the movies (aside from 5 and 9).

Most of the TV model shots in Trek series were done at a place called Image G. And there were at least 3 models of the D (2ft, 4ft, 6ft). 4ft showed up in season 3 because the beautiful 6 footer was too time-consuming to shoot on a TV time scale & budget. When they blow one up they don't blow the expensive hero models, but would throw together some excess parts or an off the shelf ERTL kit hehe (they usually shoot ~3 model explosions).

TNG, VOY and DS9 all used models at various points. VOY and DS9 switched to CGI of course. TNG does have some experimental CGI.

Honestly I thought the shows went downhill once they could jam in tons of CGI battles. They also stopped bothering with shield effects on the ships and seemed to fill the hulls with gasoline because everything was always shooting flames out or going up in balls of fire. Endless space battles with aliens of the week probably didn't help keep the audience all that well either, methinks.

Go here if you are at all interested in how they shot Trek models.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEmXA0Itv6A
Go here too
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2009, 11:51.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 6, 2009, 10:19 Ant

See this Reading Rainbow episode from 1998: http://aqfl.net/?q=node/5641 for behind the scenes on ST:TNG.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2009, 10:19.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 6, 2009, 09:51 space captain

For a "space captain" you don't seem to know much about TNG. It used physical models for the space scenes. The effects were done at ILM. He was talking about after they went to computer graphics.

my screen name refers to something else besides obscure star trek trivia

but thanks for the update, cool guy

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 6, 2009, 08:41 Ecthelion

And honestly I don't believe there were any good pre-cgi ship battles except for The Wrath of Khan.
"Way of the Warrior", the DS9 episode that involved a massive Klingon fleet attacking and boarding Deep Space Nine, was done with models (and toys and ornaments, actually). That was a pretty sweet battle scene.

In any case, even once CGI become the norm, space battles still weren't the focus of Star Trek. If that's all you got out of the Dominion War, you missed out.

9. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 6, 2009, 06:07 NKD

yeh TNG was just filled with crazy space battles - it was nonstop

For a "space captain" you don't seem to know much about TNG. It used physical models for the space scenes. The effects were done at ILM. He was talking about after they went to computer graphics.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 6, 2009, 04:03 Rigs

And honestly I don't believe there were any good pre-cgi ship battles except for The Wrath of Khan.

Hmm, the one that always (and will always) sticks in my mind is the destruction of the USS Odyssey toward the end of DS9's episode 'The Jem'Hadar'. I don't know if it was a real model or cgi, but wholly crap! I remember being on the phone with a friend at the time and not really following the episode that closely and then watching it first trying to limp away (which was damn awesome to see, what with a failing warp nacelle n' all) and then being 'kamakazied' - right out of nowhere! I was like, 'Holy shit! They just destroyed a Galaxy class!'...I know it doesn't stand up with some of the battle scenes later in the series, but they got the intended effect on me, and if it was with a real model, then more power to them!...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2009, 05:14.

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

7. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 5, 2009, 23:06 The Half Elf

That would be correct Narf.

Once the CGI ships were introduced (last 3 seasons of DS9, and I think the 3rd or 4th season of Voyager onward), space battles became more common place because they could blow up the ship and not have to remake huge models. Hell there was one episode of TNG that was insanely expensive because they blew up one of the models.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 5, 2009, 22:25 Narf2029

TNG also used models, putting it before the CGI ships and the point made about them.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

5. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 5, 2009, 22:17 space captain

Considering how much combat there was in the Trek Series/Movies once CGI ships were made?

yeh TNG was just filled with crazy space battles - it was nonstop

Rolleyes

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 5, 2009, 21:48 Veterator

I'll go for Odo, shapeshifting and busting bad guys.  

3. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 5, 2009, 20:34 The Half Elf

Considering how much combat there was in the Trek Series/Movies once CGI ships were made?

But at the end of the day it is a game, and a MMO at that. As they said earlier they didn't want some guy playing an engineer pushing buttons all day, or would you rather take the science route and be stuck in sick bay growing cultures or something? Oh yes, you could be a ambassador and go around and mitigate treaties and system disputes!!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 5, 2009, 17:48 Cutter

It doesn't sound anything like Star Trek except for the space battles - which was the smallest part of the shows and the least important. If they want to market this game as a ST battle simulator, fine, but stop calling it STO when it has so little in common with what ST is really about.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

1. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 5, 2009, 16:07 Silicon Avatar

I know everyone is bagging on this saying how awful it is going to be, but I will probably give it a whirl. I don't expect it to be like Star Trek. I expect it to be like an MMO with Star Trek outfits.... But I think that is enough for me to try it.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo