Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MW2 "Army" is Large

Activision announces more statistics to illustrate the success of the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, saying that the military shooter sequel "is not only the biggest entertainment launch in history grossing more than $550 million, but also significantly outnumbers the world’s top-five armed forces combined." They offer several specific comparisons between the number of players in their game and the numbers of soldiers in various armies, such as their player base representing "more than twice the number of troops in NATO’s 28 member countries combined." No word is offered on how many Purple Hearts MW2 troops have earned from couch burns and Cheetos mishaps.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: MW2 Dec 4, 2009, 22:10 eunichron

Popular does not equate to good.
"Good" is subjective.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: MW2 Dec 4, 2009, 18:56 Ruffiana

The game industry is not about good, it's about making money.

We, as gamers, are just fortunate that many developers believe the two are tied together.

We, as developers, are unfortunate in that many of the people with the money to finance the ever increasing cost of developing games only care about seeing a return on their investment.

22. Re: MW2 "Army" is Large Dec 4, 2009, 18:49 pacbowl

"Don't worry sir. I'm from the internet"  

21. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2009, 18:34 zirik

You might consider it a subtle distinction but to me it's the difference between a soldier and a fanatic.

reminds me of the 75% of soldiers who never fire a weapon at the enemy when needed.

20. Re: MW2 Dec 4, 2009, 18:32 zirik

I wonder how much of their insane profits are going towards that foundation they announced that helps veterans find jobs? You know, the one they announced that one time and then never talked about ever again?

i was wondering about that too everytime activision brags about the gross amount they made from the game. maybe they will buy cheetos for every vet?

19. Re: MW2 Dec 4, 2009, 18:30 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: MW2 Dec 4, 2009, 17:59 Kevin Lowe

The hackers are freedom fighters. We want the freedom of having dedicated servers, the freedom to mod, the freedom to play the maps we choose. They do it disassembling the tyrannical IWnet and the lies it was we were told on which it was based.

All of which are freedoms they already have, simply by playing something the hell else. I could see "freedom fighters" if they were defending their countrymen against undue oppression, but really, all these people have to do is click on a different icon in Steam and the whole problem disappears.

17. Re: MW2 Dec 4, 2009, 17:46 xXBatmanXx

It's a pretty safe bet that none of the world's standing armies can demolish cheetos like the MW2 army can, either.

I am sure some of that "8 million" is also a nice chuck of the armed forces sitting on their butts in base playing. Know lots of friends and family members that play games day and night while deployed.....but maybe you are right....I will have to ask if Haliburton gives them cheetos as part of their MREs.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

16. Re: MW2 "Army" is Large Dec 4, 2009, 17:36 Zzet

Pity the average age of these groups is more or less the same.  

15. Re: MW2 Dec 4, 2009, 17:35 PropheT

It's a pretty safe bet that none of the world's standing armies can demolish cheetos like the MW2 army can, either.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2009, 17:35.

14. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2009, 16:08 space captain

They'll promise you absolution from the murders you'll commit
In the name of god and country they can get away with it
They fill you full of orders and promise you rewards
Like busting up your family by sending you abroad
A holiday in Germany or Iceland or Hong Kong
Making money being useless well it seems it can't go wrong
But then it's off to Northern Ireland where you'll practice what they preached
You'll shoot to keep yourself alive and kill to keep the peace
And then it won't be so much fun as you hear the wounded crying
Cuz before they couldn't speak english and you didn't know what they were saying
But when the children call you "Bastard" it will make you think again
When you cannot tell the difference between animals and men

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2009, 15:35 Kxmode

Step by step, heart to heart, left right left,
We all fall down like toy soldiers.
Bit by bit torn apart, we never win,
But the battle wages on for toy soldiers.

12. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2009, 15:31 Unknown Soldier

BobBob I have to correct this common misconception. Speaking as a former member of the US Army infantry, I can assure you that neither I nor my comrades were willing to "sacrifice our lives" to defend anything in some foreign desert wasteland. We were simply willing to put ourselves in a position where we might get killed doing our job. And we all did that job for various reasons, not always for king and country.

You might consider it a subtle distinction but to me it's the difference between a soldier and a fanatic.

11. I'm Sorry, really Dec 4, 2009, 15:23 Techie714 ©

I bashed this game a lot before & during its release. But I must admit after playing the SINGLE PLAYER campaign this game was simply AMAZING. The story line, the action, the tense scenarios, & the graphics just all hit a 10 with me. Now the MP on PC is still a big pile of steaming SHIT!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

10. Re: MW2 "Army" is Large Dec 4, 2009, 15:21 Creston

Activision is turning into the biggest fucking tools in the history of gaming. Congrats, Bobby Kotick. Your legacy is secured, sir.

Creston

9. Re: MW2 Dec 4, 2009, 15:21 Kevlar

I wonder how much of their insane profits are going towards that foundation they announced that helps veterans find jobs? You know, the one they announced that one time and then never talked about ever again?

(Edit: for clarity)

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2009, 15:25.

8. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2009, 15:19 space captain

Wait, they are comparing game players to people who willingly sacrifice their lives to defend their family and homeland?

yesterday i willingly sacrificed three dollars to get a peice of pizza

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: MW2 "Army" is Large Dec 4, 2009, 15:10 spindoctor

It's strange that they would make a tongue-in-cheek comparison like this sound so formal in an 'official' press release. 8 million players is a lot, but it's a fantastic game, so it's good to see it doing well.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2009, 15:04 BobBob

Wait, they are comparing game players to people who willingly sacrifice their lives to defend their family and homeland?  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

5. Re: MW2 "Army" is Large Dec 4, 2009, 14:46 Paketep

Hey, at least the armies are not a POS. MW2 and Kotick, on the other hand...  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo