Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears

Hot after Take Two commented on the long-term importance of the Borderlands franchise comes word on superannuation's Twitter feed (where the signal to noise ratio is the opposite of their website) that Gearbox has filed a trademark registration for Borderworlds. Meanwhile, Gearbox Software tweets about the PC release of the first DLC for Borderlands, as well as another upcoming patch: "DLC is on its way for PC (wish I had a date for you) and we have another update on the way as well with several fixes :)"

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 15:05 Krovven

The ending was horrible. Kill boss, no loot. Boom he is dead, 'thanks for saving the Vault', game over.

Haven't played since I finished it. I'm sure I'll jump in the odd coop game with friends, but the only thing I'm interested in now is the Dr. Ned Zombie DLC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 14:30 Verno

Being forced to repeatedly run the same bosses indefinitely to progress any further?

You're obviously smart enough to see the flip side so your refusal to do so is rather confusing.

Being offered the chance of progression period rather than hitting a brick wall that might as well say "END OF GAME" is a good thing and Diablo 2 proved that it could be done easily enough.

Borderlands borrowed heavily from the Diablo concept but forgot the most important aspects:

- bosses that drop worthwhile loot
- set items
- armor or clothing
- Item crafting
- Unlockable secrets (cow levels, cube recipes, runes, etc)
- Randomized areas

To make it worse, it doesn't live up to the role-play part of it's supposed RPS moniker. And yes, no server-side gamesaves is another massive mistake. To add insult to injury they didn't even bother to release an SDK despite letting users hack the shit out of every other aspect of the game.

Finally, there is the whole part where they lied to the community about the PC version.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2009, 14:32.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

10. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 11:59 PHJF

Not enough longevity in it and Gearbox seems to miss the most critical parts of what gave the Diablo series staying power.

Being forced to repeatedly run the same bosses indefinitely to progress any further?

But seriously, any game like this can only work when it's given server-side anti-cheat mechanisms and a functioning economy. Any game I start in Borderlands today is guaranteed at least one person wielding hacked weapons.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 09:05 Verno

It was fun, I can't say I didn't get my moneys worth out of it but I doubt I'll be buying the followup or any MMO based on the IP. Not enough longevity in it and Gearbox seems to miss the most critical parts of what gave the Diablo series staying power.  

8. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 09:02 Veinman

Just beat Borderlands on my first play-through last night. Awesome game.  

7. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 08:39 Verno

Now watch, the 3 people who liked Planetside will whine about that comment.

Hah, no kidding. I've never seen such a case of vocal minority than I have with the Planetside playerbase.

6. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 04:28 osage no onna

Someone at Valve is probably a little annoyed right now.  

5. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 02:58 Caveman

I hope they don't go make this into any type of MMO. Borderlands is fine the way it is, I just want more content, more loot, and more classes.  

4. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 00:31 Icewind

Borderworlds: A Borderlands MMO.

Well, Planetside sucked ass...maybe Gearbox can succeed where that failed.

Now watch, the 3 people who liked Planetside will whine about that comment.

3. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 00:28 StingingVelvet

I liked the original, but didn't love it. Another one with larger scope though? That sounds awesome.  

2. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 4, 2009, 00:23 Caveman

I'm already hyped for Borderworlds.  

1. Re: Gearbox TMs Borderworlds, Borderlands Patch Nears Dec 3, 2009, 23:44 MysterD

Sweet @ PC DLC coming and PC patch.

Can't wait for more details on Borderworlds.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo